Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Capri Rust

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Some links here.. http://www.fordcaprilaser.co.uk/links.htm
    You might pick up some usefull tips..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

capripower.co.uk does the job for me

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭The-Ry-Man06

Cheers, will check out those sites soon.
    well there she is. The owner before me treated her to a resray so all i have to do is straighten out a few rust bubbles and the chassis which is in the pictures

Balls! picture sizes are to big will get them up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congrats on the new Capri!
    Why dont you try photorazor to resize your pics? Its free software you can download, not sure of the exact size but if you google it you'll find it :)

Thats handy that its just been resprayed, one less job to do :cool:

C'mon and get those pics up......

• Advertisement

hopefully there attached now. thats the only bit of serious rust underneath but theres a few spots of bubble rust on paintwork

Congrats on the new Capri!
    Why dont you try photorazor to resize your pics? Its free software you can download, not sure of the exact size but if you google it you'll find it :)

Thats handy that its just been resprayed, one less job to do :cool:

cheers i never new it was so easy! ive been doin all sort of format changin to get em up

Nice car lad,love the colour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fordpopular

corktina wrote: »
    check out the VRT before you buy...capris seem to cost a lot in VRT

just to give a rough idea of vrt I paid €750 vrt last year on a 83 1.6 cabaret model

cheers yea theres a few things that need doin but i have the time now. but here im gettin insured on it in the next couple of days and i was under the impression that i could drive it on the roads as long as i was insured and the NCT was booked because you cant get tax without NCT. am i wrong?

• Advertisement

love the color!! Congratulations! did you take her for a good spin yet? what ya think of her now that you have her?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

cheers yea theres a few things that need doin but i have the time now. but here im gettin insured on it in the next couple of days and i was under the impression that i could drive it on the roads as long as i was insured and the NCT was booked because you cant get tax without NCT. am wrong?

..................you cannot drive on Irish roads on foreign plates. You have to pay the VRT first and get the new reg plates up on it.

Car looks lovely, I know it was repainted but was it done in the original colour ?

Good luck with it.

Redrocket wrote: »
    love the color!! Congratulations! did you take her for a good spin yet? what ya think of her now that you have her?

ah ye it felt amazin finally taken it on a long drive today. ye handeling is great and i cant take my eyes off of it. The missfiring cylinder is bothering me a little though. have to get a little more experience drivin her before ill fell comfortable but you were right i hardly notice the weight of the steering anymore and ive only been drivin it for a couple o days.:D

MercMad wrote: »
    ..................you cannot drive on Irish roads on foreign plates. You have to pay the VRT first and get the new reg plates up on it.

Car looks lovely, I know it was repainted but was it done in the original colour ?

Good luck with it.

The vrt was already paid and its on irish plates. but i dont know if im alright drivin it as im insured at the moment so long as i get the nct and tax within 20 days. Can i take it on the road?

Ye im guessing it was resprayed the orignal colour unless they went to the trouble of doing the engine bay.
    cheers.

have to get a little more experience drivin her before ill fell comfortable but you were right i hardly notice the weight of the steering anymore and ive only been drivin it for a couple o days.:D
    Thats the spirit!!:DThe misfire cant be much,as has been said,a good service should sort it!

well i got a lot done today new sparks, leads, points, condenser. havnt got to fire it up yet so dont know if its done the trick. still yet to put air filter or brake pads is it worth paying the extra for a K&N air filter or EBC brake pads?

And can someone tell me the cheapest place to get this stuff? the moneys flyin out of my pockets already!

Oh and if anyone knows where id get a sunroof handle or a 1.6 laser let me know.

Well ive replaced a couple parts in the engine and now the thing wont start for me:D. Im a bit stumped as each one of the leads has a spark and the new plugs are fine. I also changed the distributer cap but ofcourse being me marked the old cap and now i have the leads mixed up can someone tell me the sequence that the leads should be on the cap? ie. the first leads being the shortest going to the far right cylinder what place on distributor should that be? Haynes manual doesnt make it clear at all!:confused:

I think the firing order is 1-3-4-2 on a pinto,not 100% on that though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Well ive replaced a couple parts in the engine and now the thing wont start for me:D. Im a bit stumped as each one of the leads has a spark and the new plugs are fine. I also changed the distributer cap but ofcourse being me marked the old cap and now i have the leads mixed up can someone tell me the sequence that the leads should be on the cap? ie. the first leads being the shortest going to the far right cylinder what place on distributor should that be? Haynes manual doesnt make it clear at all!:confused:

Well think about it! Center lead to the coil. Shortest to near plug, longest to the far plug and the other two, well make an educated guess!

landyman wrote: »
    Well think about it! Center lead to the coil. Shortest to near plug, longest to the far plug and the other two, well make an educated guess!
    Dont pull em off with the engine running..it hurts!!:p:o

• Advertisement

Dont pull em off with the engine running..it hurts!!:p:o

Yes 1000v of electricty even though its low current.

landyman wrote: »
    Yes 1000v of electricty even though its low current.
    Yep..i wasnt thinking and ended up on the ground!lol!!

DSC_4526resized.jpg
    DSC_4526resized-1.jpg

lad i'll take another pic if thats not good enough, and the labels on the wires are just start to end points on my engine, not necessarily firing order

thats brilliant cheers ill have another go

Got er goin reset the points condenser and timing with a hell of a lot of difficulty. Im really gettin to hate that Haynes manual.lol.
    That picture was great thanks looks like a pretty bay.

your best bit if working on your own is replace bits one by one making sure she starts after each replacement. or if replacing leads replace one by one not all at once (obviously says you after doing it once already). anyhow thats how i tinker :D

If you ever get stuck for the right setting for the points, try a fag packet, they should set it enough to get you going. I got a vernier and measured a cam belt carboard cover to be .45mm which is correct for the distrib i have, and set accordingly

car needs a good spit and polish but other commitments la la la

Well the problems back. Couldn't get the car to start this mornin. Very frustrating as it was starting perfectly yesterday evening and I havnt touched the engine. The only difference I can c is that today was a particularly cold mornin. The started motor is working perfect but the engine is just not kicking in. I've bought some silicon leads to help it cold start supposedly. Has anyone got any ideas on where the problem could be.

i replaced points + condenser + and did the timing. was starting fine out in my mates garage, but few mornings later it was cold and wouldnd start. put in new plugs + leads, spot on every time now. (previous FSH plugs must have been neglected??)

do the plugs/leads, do the timing, get her "tuned", i put mine on an emissions tester and my mate tuned the carb to tick over better according to emissions. It just mean she's burning a better mix of fuel.

you could have been flooding it/not giving it enough fuel when starting this morning also, i've had carbed cars only 1.5 years now and there's definitely a knack to getting them started with the accelerator/choke depending on the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah there is usually a knack and if they dont get running they can flood and then its plugs out again or else push start it.

Next time it doesn't start whip out a plug to see if its full of fuel.

• Advertisement

when i got my timing done correct, it turned out that the car was fuelling to high for the correct timing settings. originally it was ticking over at about 900rpm, timing done right maybe 1100/1200 rpm, which meant when my timing was off, that car was over fuelling and especially for starting on a cold morning this was causing trouble. after setting the timing up right the carb was tuned down to make rev at the proper revs, 850 i think??

(megajolt arrived during the week, needs ford zetec bits to complete my ecu setup (bought ****ty mondeo yesterday for sfa, but she seems too good to break), bye bye ****ty points, not for the capri though, so will see how it performs on something else then maybe the capri)

Advertisement