Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Capri Rust

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭The-Ry-Man06

MercMad wrote: »
    Yeah there is usually a knack and if they dont get running they can flood and then its plugs out again or else push start it.

Next time it doesn't start whip out a plug to see if its full of fuel.

Ye i had that but i was fairly carefull not too give it too much as too flood. It just seems to have a mind of its own. I left it inthe sun for 3 hrs and good as new started first time??:confused:

ye i gave the timing and the choke a bit of a doing but i think im gonna have to spend a day and do it properly. I think its a mixture of bad leads, bad timing and it just not wanting to get up early in the mornin:p

Oh and does anyone have any experience with EBC parts? I was thinking of getting new drums, disks, pads, and shoes from EBC brakes direct for around 160e as my brakes are fairly unreactive and generally bad. Is it worth the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

thats brilliant cheers ill have another go

Got er goin reset the points condenser and timing with a hell of a lot of difficulty. Im really gettin to hate that Haynes manual.lol.
    That picture was great thanks looks like a pretty bay.

Dont hate them, there essential! Learn to love them as there is nothing better!

Redrocket wrote: »
    when i got my timing done correct, it turned out that the car was fuelling to high for the correct timing settings. originally it was ticking over at about 900rpm, timing done right maybe 1100/1200 rpm, which meant when my timing was off, that car was over fuelling and especially for starting on a cold morning this was causing trouble. after setting the timing up right the carb was tuned down to make rev at the proper revs, 850 i think??

(megajolt arrived during the week, needs ford zetec bits to complete my ecu setup (bought ****ty mondeo yesterday for sfa, but she seems too good to break), bye bye ****ty points, not for the capri though, so will see how it performs on something else then maybe the capri)

Ye i think thats exactly my problem. Its not working as id want it to. there seems to be petrol being spit out the exhaust so im guessing its fueling to high. Its not idling very well either being either to high or so low that it cuts out. Is setting the timing and fueling something i could do myself or do u think i should get some help with it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Well as I said earlier dont mess with the fueling untill you have the ignition system in good order.

Did you replace the points and condenser yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

you'll need a timing light and a haynes manual for the timing info, then a 13mm spanner to loosen the distributor in order to twist it, twisting left or right will change the timing forward or back, hook the timing light up to the spark plug lead of spark plug no.1.
    easiest to do when the engine is running.....
    it will flash a light, and you aim this at the timing wheel to see what time it is being sparked at, then rotate the distributor accordingly.

4 degrees BTDC from autobooks, (not haynes) @ 850rpm iirc from another technical data book
    and... the most confusing part........, what marks on the timing wheel are WHAT, get a tipex pen and mark the timing mark you want, as in 4 degress BTDC
    DSC_4994resize.jpg

timing is not too hard to set yourself, but messing with the carb is a bit....... i dont know... it seems best to get people to know what they are doing to touch the carb, how-ever i have gone to mechanics and they have simply just adjusted my carb without any knowledge of what they were doing... (especially young ones)

i think the best way is to put the car on an emissions tester and test whats coming out of the exhaust

what parts of the ignition have you NOT replaced??? They all need replacement every few years so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Just to re-iterate, replacing the points is the very first step. No point in doing the timing if the points are worn, and also if you do not set the points gap/dwell then the timing will not be correct anyway.

i replaced points, condenser, leads, had the timing adjusted with the strobe.
    It seems completely random when it starts and when it doesnt. it simply wont start in the mornings when its in any way cold/wet. Im out of ideas and its been out of use for two days.

well i finally got it working it was a combination of the wrong gap in the spark plugs and a cracked distributer cap. still fouling at the moment but at least its starting every mornin now!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement