Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbelievable!

Options
  • 05-03-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

A woman posts in Carlow forum about her 3 month old baby in pram being screamed at by drunken student and a fellow student mod closes the thread with one of the most ignorant replies I have ever read ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055505605

Seriously do you just have to be a parent to GET this or what ?(Sleeping)Three month old screamed at in the face by adult male !Can you imagine this pathetic kid trying this if the baby's FATHER had been pushing the pram .And the mod ,a fellow student , rows in in support of the lout telling the OP to get a blog and that their 'rant isnt worth any discussion on this forum'.

I now see that ANOTHER mod has posted on the already closed thread criticising the second poster but not the first mod .

Will the uber mods on these boards please get in contact with this first mod urgently .He is an absolute disgrace.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The first mod wasnt a mod for that forum, so the fact that he/she's a mod has no importance.

Maybe the forum mod agreed with the first one.........

Get over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Fad wrote: »
    The first mod wasnt a mod for that forum, so the fact that he/she's a mod has no importance.

Get over it?

Actually Sully is a mod of South East and Carlow's a subforum of South East so he is a mod. OP started a thread on this in Help Desk too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Fad wrote: »

Get over it?

South East Mod covers Carlow so both mods were mods of Carlow.

Not a very good response by the mod but the point made is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

javaboy wrote: »
    Actually Sully is a mod of South East and Carlow's a subforum of South East so he is a mod. OP started a thread on this in Help Desk too.

Maybe Sully genuinely thought it wasnt worth discussion.

OP probably a wise move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I like the way post#2 escapes censure (even a mild rebuke in thread), while the OP gets knuckle rapped for relating her tale in an open letter format.

edit: kudos to stick-dan for redressing this imbalance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

ytareh wrote: »
    A woman posts in Carlow forum about her 3 month old baby in pram being screamed at by drunken student and a fellow student mod closes the thread with one of the most ignorant replies I have ever read ...
    What is the reply ignorant of?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gordon wrote: »
    What is the reply ignorant of?
    I imagine he/she is using the slang meaning of the word. i.e. rude.

It was a touch acerbic, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder did she know where to come to find Yellow Jumper man, or was it like a shot in the dark (easy when target wearing yellow).

It's always meant "rude" down here.

As in, an ignorant f*cker, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's always meant "rude" down here.

As in, an ignorant f*cker, etc.
    Yeah, a lot of people up here use it like that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Rude? Well, I guess the language is always changing, seems a shame to see the word lose an already useful meaning to merge into a word that already exists though.

The reply by Sully wasn't embellished in the societal norm of etiquette when instructing someone to action something elsewhere, I would agree. However, I fail to see how this is 'unbelievable' and 'disgraceful' behaviour worthy of immediate disciplinary action by a superior moderator. Such a reaction is not what the societal norm of reactionary positions tends to be, in my opinion. Hence, why should such a societal abnormality trump another societal abnormality, it doesn't make much sense to me.

It would be ok if he had said "sorry, but your post doesn't lend itself to a discussion, please get a blog, many thanks."? How exactly should he have worded the instruction to seem socially acceptable? Going forward..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sully's response was too abrupt but not incorrect. The opening post was not an invitation to discuss, it was a rant - and it contained insults directed at someone who might read the forum.
    However... I don't think the thread should have been closed. Plenty of people start rants on After Hours which develop into discussions. If the OP had been a bit more choice with her style though... I understand however that she was angry and no doubt wrote it while the red mist was hanging over her - what a moron that guy was.
    ytareh wrote: »
    Seriously do you just have to be a parent to GET this or what ?(Sleeping)Three month old screamed at in the face by adult male !
    No. No you don't need to be a parent to GET it. And that isn't relevant here. Sully was not disputing the fact that the guy was a muppet, he was not belittling the experience by closing the thread.
    And the mod ,a fellow student , rows in in support of the lout
    Where exactly is there an indication that Sully was "supporting" the lout? Just because he's a student? He closed the thread because he felt it was inappropriate on Boards.ie - nothing to do with the OP's situation.
    It's one thing to be annoyed at the thread closure but making presumptuous comments about non parents/students doesn't help at all.

Gordon wrote: »
    It would be ok if he had said "sorry, but your post doesn't lend itself to a discussion, please get a blog, many thanks."? How exactly should he have worded the instruction to seem socially acceptable? Going forward..

I think it was mainly the use of the word worthy. It could look like he was saying that the post was beneath the forum. Now I know that's not what he was saying but I can see how someone could see it that way. It definitely doesn't warrant any action, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I think the OP had a valid rant and should have been allowed a bit more leeway. I would have infracted post 2 for sure.

It's no harm to allow members of the community space to vent their frustrations the odd time, isn't that what we're here for? to offer support? to be a community? to make users feel they are wanted and they aren't alone?

If someone had done the same to my sisters or friends baby then I would have a very hard time restraining myself from punching them in the face very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

The reply may have been harsh but by no means requires the effort that you are going to about getting the moderator known as sully reprimanded by the higher mods. The thread was alerted to the carlow mods and the category mod sully, by another moderator on boards.ie. We were warned that the topic could get out of hand and sully decided to interact before it had a chance to.

When i was first alerted i seeked advice on what to do from other mods, but when i was doing this and also when i was replying to the troll who posted an idiotic reply in the thread which he will be banned from my forum for, sully had locked the thread.

I myself had seen the thread and seen that there was not any overly profound language in it and i was happy to let it become a discussion but seeing as it attracted such an idiotic reply as it did in its second post within in less than 15minutes the thread would have become a students against adults thread and would have been locked as a result.

Sully did not in any way shape or form advocate or back up the a55h07e who screamed in the childs face, nor would he, that i can assure you. You have no right to come on here, accusing him of that and accusing him of not understanding the situation because he is not a parent. In that respect you are completely wrong and insinuations like that have no place here. I suggest that you drop that point of view right now because it'll get you nowhere here. Also if you could focus on the issue of why the thread was locked i'm sure sully will be along soon and we can both talk it out with you, but i assure you it was for the better, you did see that idiotic reply of a second post in that thread right ;).

It does no good to come on all guns a blazing, throwing accusations all around the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Er.. who was that directed at stick-dan? :confused: Me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The OP I presume.

Steve wrote: »
    Er.. who was that directed at stick-dan? :confused: Me?

no it was directed at ytareh

@steve:
    in response to your post before mine i wouldnt have minded at all to allow constructive comments and a discussion but this type of topic just attracts people that make stupid remarks and then start arguments. In threads like these it is very easy to turn it into a fight between adults and students as i said above so it would probably hae been locked anyway.

@ ytareh again.

I just read your helpdesk entry and you seem to say that the second post in that thread is witty, well i'm sorry but if you think that is witty in any way shape or form then i for one will not be hearing any arguements from you at least about why the thread was closed. god knws what you would have said if p155ing off an upset mother further is deemed as witty.

Sorry but no, as gordon said it's not witty, it's stupid and i deem it trolling.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the confusion.. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm posting from mobile atm. Forgive my abruptness in the post, I see how it has came across and will gladly revise when home.

As for the topic, I locked it just before I left on foot of a reported post. I felt the topic wasn't relevant for the forum and was more suited for a blog. I saw dan was on the thread so I let him look after the second post.

hope that clarifies

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Post revised completely. Instead of making points I have revised the post completely to be more appropriate.

Trust me on one thing - I do not agree with that kind of behaviour.

Hopefully that address the concern related to my style of post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Steve wrote: »
    I think the OP had a valid rant and should have been allowed a bit more leeway. I would have infracted post 2 for sure.

It's no harm to allow members of the community space to vent their frustrations the odd time, isn't that what we're here for? to offer support? to be a community? to make users feel they are wanted and they aren't alone?

If someone had done the same to my sisters or friends baby then I would have a very hard time restraining myself from punching them in the face very hard.

Agreed.
    Sully wrote: »
    Post revised completely. Instead of making points I have revised the post completely to be more appropriate.

Trust me on one thing - I do not agree with that kind of behaviour.

Hopefully that address the concern related to my style of post. :)

Well said.

Unfortunately there was a suckfest on this thread, glad you seen through it.

I'll revise my post later! :o

Awaits ban, with no revision allowed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Seems fine now...still think far less trivial things are discussed though and thread could have ran .I would have liked to offer her my condolences...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement