Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone not like Tool?

• 05-03-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

I don't really get the excitement with this band. I've heard a few tracks, they're ok but nothing special imo. I guess I have a similar reaction to Rush, kind of boring or sterile or something imo. I like prog, Opeth and The Mars Volta are among my favourite bands. Lateralus is ok I guess, I like the melody in the chorus and the use of the fibonacci sequence was a very novel idea, schism is ok too, but they don't really do anything for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I guess I have a similar reaction to Rush, kind of boring or sterile or something imo.

:confused:

Does not compute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

hehe can see where this is going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

From what I do know, I enjoy. Love listenng to Danny Carey. But don't know enough to be rabid fan, but know enough to know I don't not like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

:confused:

Does not compute.

*Turns Hungus off and on*........ no, still getting that error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

hehe can see where this is going

Ok, well on a serious note, you say you've only listened to a few songs. Maybe try listening to an album in full?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I hate em.

They're not a band you'd like after only a few listens. You need to really sit down and listen to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

not my cup of tea tbph,was bored senseless by them at ozzfest in 2002.

Ok, well on a serious note, you say you've only listened to a few songs. Maybe try listening to an album in full?

I intend to, the thing that drags me back is the philosophical reflection dimension. But I think that if you took away the clever lyrics, the unusual time sigs and the production what you're left with are a few pedestrian riffs and chord progressions. Meh I'm undecided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'm not sure, I've listened to one of their albums a couple of times and after I'd finished I couldn't remember any of the songs, nothing really stood out to me. Maybe I should give them another go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Gotta admit, I like Tool. Saw them a few years ago headlining their own gig and it's one of the best gigs I've ever seen.

As for Rush, I like some of their stuff but I'll be damned if I ever listen to more than 3 songs in a row!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

waitwut?
    You LIKE The Mars Volta????
    I cant stand them, while I like prog they just seem pretentious and annoying.
    Their music is an actual cacophony of utter w**kery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

OP maybe you should listen to the title tracks from Lateralus and Ænima and if you are not completely blown away, listen to them until you are.Rush are another reward for being alive and I cannot understand anyone saying differently.

I am not a fan of Mars Volta at all tbh. They are bent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Whoa, don't go comparing Tool to Rush! Tool are listenable, Rush are hell on earth! (and not in a cool mid-80s Slayer kind of way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I hate Tool. Entirely overrated. They just completely grate on my nerves.

Rush, on the other hand, I do tend to enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

But I think that if you took away the clever lyrics, the unusual time sigs and the production what you're left with are a few pedestrian riffs and chord progressions. Meh I'm undecided.

This is the oddest statement i've come across in quite some time.
    Tool are a band, I suggest you listen to them as such.
    [Thinks of an example most people on this board can relate to:] If you took away James Hetfields metronome like rhythm guitar, Cliff Burtons songwriting & arranging & Hammetts widdley widdley what had Metallica got left but a whiney little midget?
    Imo they're one of the finest examples in modern music where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Danny Carey is an awesome drummer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think this band are a pretty excellent rock or metal or whatever genre ya wanna call em band...cant get enough o them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I think with Tool you really have to listen to the albums as a whole a good few times before you'll fully appreciate it. You have to get to know the songs and then they really start to work well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

My favourite band, i listen to them religiously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't understand why people (fans and critics) harp on about the time signatures, they're not that odd and don't sound forced like a lot of more technical bands do. How many of you actually sit down and think: "Ah, a song in 9/8 timing, this is really an affront to my senses!" or "Ah, a song in 9/8 timing, this is really the only time a song comes alive!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

I listened to Lateralus a few times. That was enough. But then I'm an instant fix metal fan.

I intend to, the thing that drags me back is the philosophical reflection dimension. But I think that if you took away the clever lyrics, the unusual time sigs and the production what you're left with are a few pedestrian riffs and chord progressions. Meh I'm undecided.

Add to the unusual time sigs, clever lyrics and production:

One of the best drummers in music

A bassist who knows how to get some awesome sounds using effects as well as interchanging with the guitarist in playing lead

A vocalist with one of those voices that just stands out and draws you to the sound.

An amazing live light show to complement the songs that would blow your mind.

And yea, after that, they're fairly sh1te.

Frankly anyone who can listen to the last 2 mins of "Lateralus" and not be blown away, IMO doesn't have an ear for good music.

Well that makes no sense, having an ear for music does not equate to liking your favourite band.

They are way over rated imo, just like Rush and Metallica, though Metallica had a few classics in them and were just cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

overhyped boring crap

Well that makes no sense, having an ear for music does not equate to liking your favourite band.

No but it does mean that you can appreciate how clever and well put together somethign is. The build up of that part with the bass driving at the end is unbelievable and a piece of music that any self respecting musician should appreciate.

For instance I'm not a fan of some bands but can still say "That's well put together, it's just not my cup of tea".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

great on album,great live and great when your cained,thats all I need.

No but it does mean that you can appreciate how clever and well put together somethign is. The build up of that part with the bass driving at the end is unbelievable and a piece of music that any self respecting musician should appreciate.

For instance I'm not a fan of some bands but can still say "That's well put together, it's just not my cup of tea".

No I disagree with this, music shouldn't have any sacred cows to pay lip service to. Music certainly should not be based around hierarchical notions like that or the idea that there is a status quo of bands which have to be respected. I'm a musician, yes I can acknowledge that Tool records are professionally recorded and that they're introducing unusual concepts for a rock band into their music. However their music still doesn't do anything for me and as a result I don't appreciate it. I neither respect nor disrespect their music, I'm totally indifferent to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Tool seem to be a pretentious band with pretentious fans imo.

Now, I did REALLY love the Lateralus album and some other tracks. I even bought 10,000 Days. Unfortunately it was rubbish.

I went to see them and was horribly let down. Boring show. Crap set list. No interaction with the audience. Haven't bothered with them since. Shame because I like how unusual and other wordly they sounded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Tool seem to be a pretentious band with pretentious fans imo.

Why do you say they are pretentious? I think thats something levelled at bands far too often when they try to incorporate intelligent ideas into their music, especially rock bands.

Now I'll agree with you about the fans, there seems to be this attitude that by being a tool fan, you are somehow smarter than say, someone who listens to Iron Maiden or that sort of, i dont know, "working class metal" if you get what i mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

I have a friend who has been mad about tool since iv known him and before. He always told me to listen to them and gave me all their cd's but i never bothered me arse.

On tuesday before college i stuck on aenima, got addicted, didnt go to college and listend to all the albums about 8 times each.

Im adicted ;)

Advertisement