Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone not like Tool?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

stinkfish is a great song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Why do you say they are pretentious? I think thats something levelled at bands far too often when they try to incorporate intelligent ideas into their music, especially rock bands.

Fibonacci sequence, Alex Grey art etc. Not too pretentious for Guitar Hero though. :rolleyes: I bet the fans loved that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Oh noes the pretentious accusation. The music sound's absolutely brilliant that's all i care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭nij

Talentless, skillless, pseudo-artistic excreters of auditory turds. But people buy it, so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

nij wrote: »
    Talentless, skillless, pseudo-artistic excreters of auditory turds. But people buy it, so...

WTF? I bet you listen to muck like the Killers and Coldplay, and all that "indie" crap!?

Tool are class. Go see them in concert next time they're here.

/thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Massive fan of Lateralus but more of a casual fan of the band itself.
    Very disappointed with 10,000 days.After a 5 year gap i felt they could have done a lot better...

I can't stand Maynard.He's worse than Billy Corgan...

Glassheart wrote: »
    Very disappointed with 10,000 days.After a 5 year gap i felt they could have done a lot better...

10,000 Days was a bit poor, I agree.

Glassheart wrote: »

I completely agree with everything here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I stumbled across a few Tool mp3s on the internet 6/7 years ago and was completely blown away. Had to get all their albums I could find and listen to them. Was rarely disappointed. I don't listen to them much these days but there was a time when Tool was without shadow of a doubt my new favourite band and APC was in second place. My music listening habits have gone in a different direction now but I would still say that at least one of the Tool albums would be in my desert island 10 disc collection.

HAving said that, I saw them in the Point a few years ago and came away with a Meh feeling. I'd love to see them in a better venue or at a festival maybe.

I stumbled across a few Tool mp3s on the internet 6/7 years ago and was completely blown away. Had to get all their albums I could find and listen to them. Was rarely disappointed. I don't listen to them much these days but there was a time when Tool was without shadow of a doubt my new favourite band and APC was in second place. My music listening habits have gone in a different direction now but I would still say that at least one of the Tool albums would be in my desert island 10 disc collection.

HAving said that, I saw them in the Point a few years ago and came away with a Meh feeling. I'd love to see them in a better venue or at a festival maybe.

I was at that gig, and thought it was pretty good. I saw them in the SFX too, and tought they were brilliant there. I think smaller venues suit them better.....?

• Advertisement

That's the gig I was talking about earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I have Lateralus and Undertow. I do think they have a fair few good songs, good , not great. They are a decent band, with decent music. I don't see why they have such a huge following. I think the person that compared them to Metallica with regards that they have a few good songs, but are way overhyped was bang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

great feckin band , one of my favs. can kinda understand why ppl wouldnt like them tho. their songs do take a whle to get goin in places.

WTF? I bet you listen to muck like the Killers and Coldplay, and all that "indie" crap!?

/thread.

No I don't. Notice I don't hang around the 'indie' forum.

Look, in my OPINION, Tool are boring, bland and talentless. They make noise and not much else. Sounds whiney too. It just doesn't sound like music to me. Plus all their track sound identical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

/thread.

What a ridiculous post

/thread. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

stinkfish is a great song.
    And a Great Situation to be in!!

I like Tool but i wouldn't go any further. It took me a while to "get them" so i find that there is a few songs thats i would listen to more often then others. I think they are great musicians and Danny Carey is AMazing but there is something that stops me loving them. i dono wat that is tho haha

But all in all a great band with great songs (but just something off for my taste)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Fibonacci sequence, Alex Grey art etc. Not too pretentious for Guitar Hero though. :rolleyes: I bet the fans loved that...

The fibonacci sequence, thats not pretentious. Thats a cool idea. I mean, before you are told that its there, the song flows brilliantly anyway, its not like its there for the sake of it, it works with the song, and considering the theme of the lyrics, adds a pretty cool dimension to it IMO.

Alex Grey's art is amazing, who WOULDNT want him working with you and your music. And I personally DID love the fact they were on guitar hero!!!

I dunno, haha this thread has made me want to listen to them again now, and having listened to lateralus through, it doesnt make sense for people not to like them. There is nothing not to like.

And the fact that I know this, definitely elevates me to a higher state of being than you.:P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

God I despise Tool. I feel your pain.

What an overrated band too. They wreck my head, especially some of the Tool fans :rolleyes: they think they're the best band in the world. In fact i've been with people that when Tool came on in the pib they've insisted that everyone be quiet so we could 'appreciate' Tool. :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started on A Perfect Circle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

And another thing, what's so ****ing great about the Fibonacci sequence? I remember Marilyn Manson talking about using it at some point and it's been used many times in classical music, the way people bang on about it you'd think that Tool not only were the first band to use it but the guys who discovered it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Jaysus, I just can't believe that this thread has gone four pages without someone mentioning the late and great Bill Hicks! :D

Anyway on topic, yeah they're good for the oul chillout as that is what their music does. I wouldn't say they're metal, nothing as cathartic as say Slayer or Dying Fetus.

Just good songs wrapped in some BS. If you want to delve in to that BS go ahead. Me? I just like the tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Tool seem to be a pretentious band with pretentious fans imo.
    This is true to a point. Some tool fans are in
    fact tools but not all
    I even bought 10,000 Days. Unfortunately it was rubbish.

NOT TRUE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Lateralus = amazing
    Everything else = mediocre

dont get me started on 10,000 days, a metal album cure for insomnia

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

+1 Lateralus is class, my problem with Tool is that the stuff is way too produced it sounds almost clinical. Danny Carey is an amazing drummer but he hasn't got **** on Neil Peart. They're a good band but they are way too produced IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

John wrote: »
    And another thing, what's so ****ing great about the Fibonacci sequence? I remember Marilyn Manson talking about using it at some point and it's been used many times in classical music, the way people bang on about it you'd think that Tool not only were the first band to use it but the guys who discovered it!

Have to second this statement. It's an interesting idea and works well but, here's the kicker, it's not a Fibonacci sequence. The pattern is disrupted many many times in the song so it's not a Fibonacci sequence. Still a great song but don't get hung up on the idea.

Personally I like Tool. Really enjoyed aenima, Undertow and Lateralus. As with many people here, I was disappointed by 10,000 days but there are still some good songs on the album (Jambi, 10,000 days).

Not sure were people are getting this 'talentless' crap from. 3 fantastic instrumentalists, maybe not you're cup of tea but it's amazing talent. Don't brand it as a lack of talent because you don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

starflake wrote: »
    +1 Lateralus is class, my problem with Tool is that the stuff is way too produced it sounds almost clinical. Danny Carey is an amazing drummer but he hasn't got **** on Neil Peart. They're a good band but they are way too produced IMHO

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Davei141 wrote: »
    :confused:

Ok, I basically meant I like Tool, but I prefer Rush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Look, in my OPINION, Tool are boring, bland and talentless. They make noise and not much else. Sounds whiney too. It just doesn't sound like music to me. Plus all their track sound identical.
    Look im sorry but your opinion of tallent is void if you think there tallentless. I mean if you dont like them thats one thing but how exactly dont they have tallent. There fantastic song writers and instrumentalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Got to agree with you there. It's the kind of music you could have on in the background and you just wouldn't really hear. Nothing about it really grabs your attention..their songs just seem to plod along, going nowhere.

Like hifi elevator music :p

Got to agree with you there. It's the kind of music you could have on in the background and you just wouldn't really hear. Nothing about it really grabs your attention..their songs just seem to plod along, going nowhere.

Like hifi elevator music :p

Exactly. Like the sound of a dishwasher in the background.
    Patricide wrote:
    Look im sorry but your opinion of tallent is void if you think there tallentless. I mean if you dont like them thats one thing but how exactly dont they have tallent. There fantastic song writers and instrumentalists.

Well, everyone has an opinion.

I think they are talentless for the aforementioned 'dishwasher' reason, the fact that their lyrics and painfully unimaginative and whiny, and the fact that it's hard to tell one song from the next.

You know, I seem to recall and interview with Maynard where he said something like, "Most of the other bands from when we started out have disappeared and have failed to last." He went on to list a few bands. I hate people who try and big themselves up by bitching about OTHER bands.

This is what I say to him: Just because Tool hasn't f*cked off yet, it doesn't mean they have some great 'lasting power' and that you are better than those mentioned. (One of which was Nirvana - newsflash - Nirvana didn't split up or 'fail to last'. Cobain DIED. Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

This is what I say to him: Just because Tool hasn't f*cked off yet, it doesn't mean they have some great 'lasting power' and that you are better than those mentioned. (One of which was Nirvana - newsflash - Nirvana didn't split up or 'fail to last'. Cobain DIED. Idiot.

Jesus, someone better get on to Maynard quick. :rolleyes:

Advertisement