Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone not like Tool?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

nij wrote: »
    Amazing. You completely fail to grasp what I was talking about, despite highlighting my text in bold and no doubt reading it more than once. Aren't you the guy from the "I like moshing but I don't like watching and listening" thread? Surprise surprise. Your posts have a nasty edge of hostility about them. Grow up and talk to me like an adult.
    Or they are extremely good at failing. It's a viewpoint expressed by others in this thread that I don't understand.

Wow. Some people in the world don't like tool, ergo they are extremely good at failing. Im completely failing to grasp your amazing viewpoint. You mention grow up yet reading your childish argument reminds me of the retarded conversations kid's had in school.

Metal Fan: Dance music is shite it all sound's the same and takes no talent!
    Dance Fan: Eh no metal is shite it's just noise and some guy screaming making no sense! How does that take talent!

Going by your view of the world. Everything would be talentless, because guess what? Wait for it...wait for it...not everyone like's the same stuff. Earth shattering stuff eh nij? Hope your still alive after drinking the shity water, although it could be happening for some time. Explains why your full of it. Good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Davei141 wrote: »
    your childish argument reminds me of the retarded conversations kid's had in school.

I don't think we can really use that word anymore, it might offend some of the posters

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChestRockwell

I love Tool but could see how some people don't get 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Tool aren't incredible musicians. They're good musicians. Carey's drums are probably the only thing that stands out as making the songs in any way complex, the guitar and bass is never inimitable on a technical level, but the thing about Tool is they make good rock music with a creative edge. I can see why people think they're pretentious, and I've heard Maynard and Justin can be cúnts, but I don't think a feeling of pretention should stop someone from liking someones music. As soon as you build your bridge and get over that, you'll probably not only find them unpretentious, but you'll have a lot of respect for their music and songwriting, which is where they stand out by a country mile from your average pedestrian rock band.

I don't see any reason why people couldn't like them, they're nowhere near inaccessible, but they certainly do take a few listens to really like them. Almost all my favourite bands (Dream Theater, Sunset Rubdown, Biffy Clyro etc etc) I hated the first time I heard them. That doesn't mean they're bad. It means they're so different to what I listened to before that it was a shock to my system. It's like being completely uprooted, moving away from Ireland and going to live in, say, China. The completely different way of life and culture over there would disorient you for a while until you got used to it. Just because you don't like them now doesn't mean you never will. Like nix I was unmoved by Aenima first time I heard it and then it really grew on me.

Also, they're great live. Saw 'em at Sziget Festival in Budapest last summer. Friend who was with me said the Irish show was better though. I guess that's all I can say about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

i love em, how couldnt ya.... the songs draw you in.. they're complex and make u want to listen to em a few times and really listen to the lyrics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Wow. Some people in the world don't like tool, ergo they are extremely good at failing. Im completely failing to grasp your amazing viewpoint. You mention grow up yet reading your childish argument reminds me of the retarded conversations kid's had in school.

Dance Fan: Eh no metal is shite it's just noise and some guy screaming making no sense! How does that take talent!

Going by your view of the world. Everything would be talentless, because guess what? Wait for it...wait for it...not everyone like's the same stuff. Earth shattering stuff eh nij? Hope your still alive after drinking the shity water, although it could be happening for some time. Explains why your full of it. Good day.
    Thank you sir. Nail on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭nij

I'll try again, just for you.

OTHER people seem to be saying:

They think Tool's music is crap and boring.

HOWEVER

They defend Tool because they are supposedly good musicians.

My point: That's the same as SAYING, "Tool excel at failing".

My question to you: Are we EVER allowed to debate the quality of music? Is there EVER a point where we can say that the other guy doesn't know what he's talking about? If someone said to me that beethoven's 5th symphony was BAD MUSIC, I'd think him a fool. Just like I'd think a bit less of a person for telling me "Somethin' kinda Ooo" is a masterpiece.

This is a discussion forum. We can say we think music is either good or bad, and back it up with an argument. Or we can click the little X on the top of the window. We have a RIGHT to discuss it. Argue your side, but don't try and imply that we shouldn't BE arguing.

If we can keep our emotions in check and discuss this like GROWN UPS, the thread won't be locked. But you are exhibiting schoolyard hostility, exactly like in the Judas Priest thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

nij wrote: »
    I'll try again, just for you.

OTHER people seem to be saying:

They think Tool's music is crap and boring.

HOWEVER

They defend Tool because they are supposedly good musicians.

My point: That's the same as SAYING, "Tool excel at failing".

People have said they don't like tool. That's fair enough. But they appreciate why some people do and appreciate them as musician's. Sound's like a mature viewpoint in my opinion. You trying to twist it into people saying they find tool "crap and boring" is a bit sneaky is it not? The majority on the thread have said they at least liked one album or a handful of song's. I don't know any band that i find "crap and boring" where i could say i like an album of said band among other song's. So whichever way you look at it, you are twisting thing's.

My question to you: Are we EVER allowed to debate the quality of music? Is there EVER a point where we can say that the other guy doesn't know what he's talking about? If someone said to me that beethoven's 5th symphony was BAD MUSIC, I'd think him a fool. Just like I'd think a bit less of a person for telling me "Somethin' kinda Ooo" is a masterpiece.

Of course we can debate quality of music. But it is ultimately pointless. Why? Because bias always comes into play. If somebody said to you Beethoven's 5th symphony was not their thing but appreciated why some thought it was genius would you call them a fool? Would you say that's akin to saying beethoven is good at failing?

Look all over board's too you will have people slating what's popular. The popular song may be pretty damn good, but it's still lumped into "chart shite" or whatnot. E.g Beyonce's new song Halo, i happen to think that's an absolutely cracking song. Keep an eye out though it will be slated before long. Debating quality of music is always secondary to bias.
    This is a discussion forum. We can say we think music is either good or bad, and back it up with an argument. Or we can click the little X on the top of the window. We have a RIGHT to discuss it. Argue your side, but don't try and imply that we shouldn't BE arguing.

Argue away. But please don't try and dress it up like you are trying to be reasoned and have a well thought out discussion on a band's music. Nobody is forcing you to like tool, you can say you dislike the music all you want. Everyone has different tastes and that's fair enough. But the whole "good at failing" and poor musician argument is ridiculously weak.
    If we can keep our emotions in check and discuss this like GROWN UPS, the thread won't be locked. But you are exhibiting schoolyard hostility, exactly like in the Judas Priest thread.

You keep making dig's about growing up, schoolyard hostility etc. But if you care to read over your viewpoint's, they are the sort of view's you would hear in a schoolyard. You are not content with saying the music is crap (which you are perfectly entitled to) You have to call them crap musician's (Which you are entirely wrong about). Can you not accept that good musician's can make music that doesn't appeal to your ears?

Advertisement