Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protesting taxi drivers: do you support them?

• 06-03-2009 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

you have the last word

taxi driver protests: do u support the drivers? 236 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    12% 30 votes
    Sitting on the fence for this one
    87% 206 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Ah...is this the vaugue threat infered in the other thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I had alot more support for them before their protest in the city centre yesterday. Clogging the city centre with cars while honking their horns didn't exactly endear themselves to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cogITere

They are upset as there are too many plates out there?

I work in an IT related sector. With this down-turn and because their are a increasingly number of IT staff now available in the marketplace, we seen salary cuts in our company.

Maybe we should strike until they put a "cap" on the number of IT grads!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

cogITere wrote: »
    They are upset as there are too many plates out there?

I work in an IT related sector. With this down-turn and because their are a increasingly number of IT staff now available in the marketplace, we seen salary cuts in our company.

Maybe we should strike until they put a "cap" on the number of IT grads!!!!
    Maybe you should join in and add it as an add on to our next protest :p but actualy the number of IT grads does already have a cap on it, as less and less grads are able to find work then less and less courses are run therefore less graduates, meanwhile all you other out of work graduates can always become taxi drivers...though it's rumoureed that McDonalds pay better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

on the fence.

The industry needs a cleanup.
    Too many "you show, I go" types and there are a lot of 15 year old battered Toyotas out there.......
    I'm not sure what the solution is though. That's for the stakeholders to figure out.

But enough with the protests! Have ye no lobby group? I remember watching a video on boards and the taxi rep was giving a presentation in the Senate. Very articulate and well-spoken guy, let me him do the talking maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Maybe you should join in and add it as an add on to our next protest :p but actualy the number of IT grads does already have a cap on it, as less and less grads are able to find work then less and less courses are run therefore less graduates, meanwhile all you other out of work graduates can always become taxi drivers...though it's rumoureed that McDonalds pay better

That's because since the tech crash (2000) a lot of people have thought there were no IT jobs or were afraid of the science / maths requirements. People stopped entering the industry. Just like they'll stop / leave when they see it isn't that easy to make money driving a taxi. Market forces.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

paulm17781 wrote: »
    That's because since the tech crash (2000) a lot of people have thought there were no IT jobs or were afraid of the science / maths requirements. People stopped entering the industry. Just like they'll stop / leave when they see it isn't that easy to make money driving a taxi. Market forces.

That goes with any industry that experiences its ups and downs. Except for the taxi industry apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No they are protesting pointlessly over something they should have no control over anyway. Supply and Demand should dictate the number of taxis not some cosy cartell of capped licences.

Unfortunitly there are so many crappy filthy cars and drivers out there that that public has gotten used to low/no standards and can't generally be bothered avoiding crap cars and going for driver who clearly have invested properly in their business and are professional.

There should be standard (large) cars in standard colours of set ages. This alone will clear out a large chunk of unscrupulous people driving junkers, more so then capping licences ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Whats the story with a lot of them now having signs on their car saying " Irish Driver " :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

will1977 wrote: »
    Whats the story with a lot of them now having signs on their car saying " Irish Driver " :confused:

Its appealing to racists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

No they are protesting pointlessly over something they should have no control over anyway. Supply and Demand should dictate the number of taxis not some cosy cartell of capped licences.
    Every other industry regulates entrants. The demand in these industries comes from companies hiring or not hiring. This while not a regualtory cap, is a large barrier to entry. The taxi industry is seeking a cap an licences and for the regulator to control the supply as demand requires. This is no different to any other industry, whats wrong with that??

There should be standard (large) cars in standard colours of set ages. This alone will clear out a large chunk of unscrupulous people driving junkers, more so then capping licences ever will.

Thats all very well and tbh most drivers would support this, but how do you propose they pay for them in the current climate as I doubt there are many financial insitutions who would give drivers credit for a mars bar let alone a new car??

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Thats all very well and tbh most drivers would support this, but how do you propose they pay for them in the current climate as I doubt there are many financial insitutions who would give drivers credit for a mars bar let alone a new car??

Same way anyone else in any other business does it. Work out the maths and if you can't afford it/ can't get a loan then you can't go ahead with it and shouldn't be in the business.

One way or the other there has to be a massive shock adjustment for this to work in order to clear out the huge over supply. Yes it will be painfull for some but in the long run it will benefit all, the employees, the customer and the traffic in the city as there will be less taxi's blocking up the roads.

Taxipete29 wrote:
    Every other industry regulates entrants. The demand in these industries comes from companies hiring or not hiring. This while not a regualtory cap, is a large barrier to entry. The taxi industry is seeking a cap an licences and for the regulator to control the supply as demand requires. This is no different to any other industry, whats wrong with that??

Take the haulage industry as an example. It supports many companies. There are barriers to entry such as minimum safety standards for trucks and regulations for driving hours. However they don't go out whinging on the streets when there are too many companies in the industry. Some just fall by the wayside and the stronger, more professional companies survive. The private coach hire industry is the same to a large extent.

I fail to see why taxi drivers think they are so special compared to everyone else especially when they charge over the odds rates and most of them drive sh1tboxes and dress like they are going to the gym, not work.

Take the haulage industry as an example. It supports many companies. There are barriers to entry such as minimum safety standards for trucks and regulations for driving hours. However they don't go out whinging on the streets when there are too many companies in the industry. Some just fall by the wayside and the stronger, more professional companies survive. The private coach hire industry is the same to a large extent.

I fail to see why taxi drivers think they are so special compared to everyone else especially when they charge over the odds rates and most of them drive sh1tboxes and dress like they are going to the gym, not work.

For starters the Taxi industry is alot more generic than the haulage industry. Companies in that industry compete aggresively for contracts and have the ability to offer a bit more. When you walk up to a rank, leaving the fact the cars are different, they are all offering the same product at the same price. And I seem to remember the Haulgae industry descending on Dublin en masse a few years ago to protest. They also whinged very loudly about the ban on trucks in the city. They also whinge about rising few prices.

Taxi drivers prices are set by the regulator and the argument about offering discounts doesnt apply as repeat business is almost impossible in such a generic market. It is illegal for drivers to wear tracksuits while operating, again this comes down to enforcement from a toothless regulator.

Every taxi on the road passes the NCT every year, if you have an argument about the cars its with them and the standards applied, not with the drivers.

See it all comes back to regulation and standards which the industry is crying out for and is not forthcoming

One way or the other there has to be a massive shock adjustment for this to work in order to clear out the huge over supply. Yes it will be painfull for some but in the long run it will benefit all, the employees, the customer and the traffic in the city as there will be less taxi's blocking up the roads.

So you agree with the protesters then as that is what we want

Taxi drivers prices are set by the regulator

No they are not, a maximum fare is set by the regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Hang on, the penny has just dropped on what the real problem is, it's the regulator !!!

How silly of us to think there's any sort of personal responsibility, just like everywhere else in the real world, in the taxi industry.
    Good point, where would we be without the brickie, plumber, programmer, receptionist etc regulators. The world would be in chaos !

So you agree with the protesters then as that is what we want

It is whats needed but can happen natuarally if proper standards are enforced on the industry.

I in no way agree with the protestors. Disadvantaging commuters and costing the economy millions in delays, congestion and lost time is criminal and benefits no-one in any way, least of all drivers who will have to bear the ire of the public over their ridiculous actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What people seem to pussyfoot around in regards to the taxi drivers is their unrealistic levels of expectation in terms of income.

It's a low-skilled job, i.e. anyone with one arm, one leg and a pair of eyes can become a driver. The hours aren't great, but they're no worse than anyone else in the service industry - bar men, hotel staff, etc. There's some risk to your safety, but again, so too in the service industry - particularly bouncers or security staff.

Yet we have them harping on about having a wife, 3 kids and a mortgage to support. Here's a bit of news: That's not our problem, it's yours. I wouldn't expect to support a family and own my home if I worked on a supermarket checkout, so what makes taxi drivers think that their choice of work should be any different?

In reality, a taxi driver working 40 hours a week should expect to come out with €20k-€30k after tax and costs. This would vary depending on your location obviously. If you come out with more than €30k, be happy. Be very happy.

And this is the real problem - the number of licences reflects the fact that tonnes of new drivers - a lot of foreign nationals, but increasingly more young Irish people are more than happy to come in and do their 40 hours and come out with €25k. Or even do their 15-20 hours over a weekend and take home €12.5k on top of whatever other work they do.

This is market forces at work - you now have people who (quite rightly) aren't expecting to make a killing, just people who are expecting to make the amount of money which you would expect to make in a low-skilled job.

If you can't afford to support your family on the money that you make, you have two choices:
    1. Cut back on your spending
    2. Find a better job

And they're the facts in any job.

• Advertisement

Hmmm currently 48 don't support the drivers, 4 do and 4 are on the fence. I could have sworn I was told I was wrong when I said the public don't support the drivers on this.

Seamus, well put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

seamus wrote: »
    and a pair of eyes can become a driver.

Not even, a friend passed her test with only one eye :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Heading for 90% against the protestors. Not even close, even for an internet forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

murphaph wrote: »
    Heading for 90% against the protestors. Not even close, even for an internet forum.

Pity its not a public poll. I wonder who voted yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Well there's about that number on here so assuming they all voted YES. that's ZERO actual public support. Not a great basis for a public protest campaign.

murphaph wrote: »
    Well there's about that number on here so assuming they all voted YES. that's ZERO actual public support. Not a great basis for a public protest campaign.

LOL
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Spook_ie wrote: »

Having a cap on graduates and places for courses doesn't decrease the amount of IT staff.

You can go to easons buy a book read it and apply for an IT job or via FAS courses etc or god forbid come from a different country! :eek:

it's as simple as this if you don't like the industry you're in or you have suddenly found you have to actually do a bit of work to earn a few quid now then get on with it or find a different profession that suits you.

this L'oreal sent of entitlement because I'm worth it is really starting to sicken me.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mary D

I don't think the problem with taxis is the number of them on the road at the moment, it's the f**king price they charge, it's frightening. Fair enough their prices went up in the last few years with everything else. The economy is now is a slump and the taxis are still charging top dollar, you'd nearly want to take a personal loan out to afford a taxi journey. Also, if you want a taxi these days, it's very hard to just stop one on the street as they don't drive around scouting for work, you're forced to phone one to your house (which you have the privilege of paying for) or else go to a rank where about 20 taximen are huddled together in a little group that you feel you're breaking up by asking for a taxi.

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote: »
    Pity its not a public poll. I wonder who voted yes

But as a sample of the public it's pretty good. It shows that less than 10% of people looking at this thread support the protests. It was written in the other thread "The public support us" which is a fallacy, like I said.

Oddly he hasn't come back to this thread since.

seamus wrote: »
    What people seem to pussyfoot around in regards to the taxi drivers is their unrealistic levels of expectation in terms of income.

It's a low-skilled job, i.e. anyone with one arm, one leg and a pair of eyes can become a driver. The hours aren't great, but they're no worse than anyone else in the service industry - bar men, hotel staff, etc. There's some risk to your safety, but again, so too in the service industry - particularly bouncers or security staff.

Yet we have them harping on about having a wife, 3 kids and a mortgage to support. Here's a bit of news: That's not our problem, it's yours. I wouldn't expect to support a family and own my home if I worked on a supermarket checkout, so what makes taxi drivers think that their choice of work should be any different?

In reality, a taxi driver working 40 hours a week should expect to come out with €20k-€30k after tax and costs. This would vary depending on your location obviously. If you come out with more than €30k, be happy. Be very happy.

And this is the real problem - the number of licences reflects the fact that tonnes of new drivers - a lot of foreign nationals, but increasingly more young Irish people are more than happy to come in and do their 40 hours and come out with €25k. Or even do their 15-20 hours over a weekend and take home €12.5k on top of whatever other work they do.

This is market forces at work - you now have people who (quite rightly) aren't expecting to make a killing, just people who are expecting to make the amount of money which you would expect to make in a low-skilled job.

If you can't afford to support your family on the money that you make, you have two choices:
    1. Cut back on your spending
    2. Find a better job

And they're the facts in any job.

Right here is a fact for you, no driver is making anything close to the figures you put forward. They are lucky to be turning over that amount which as you know turnover does not equal income.

I dont know any driver, with the exception maybe of some older ones who just do it for something to do, that only works 40 hours a week.

If we use the fact that you reckon taxi drivers are no different to say shop workers then apply min wage standards €8.60 an hour for lets say a 40hour week(unrealistic but this is an example). By your reckoning I would be enititled to earn( not turnover) €344 a week. To earn this I would still have to turnover approx €800 a week. Thats €20 an hour,turnover, on a 40hour week. Most drivers are doing well if they turnover even half that on any given day, including saturdays. So now drivers are working an 80 hour week, which has always been against the law for taxi drivers, and still only earning minimum wage. Those are the facts.

Nobody else in the service industry works under those conditions. Our job is alot riskier than security staff as we have no back up if something happens in such a confined space of a car and besides which security staff are now supposed to be trained to deal with incidents, we are not.

I would glady work in this industry for minimum wage as that would mean for a 70 hour week ( this is my norm) I could earn near €600 after expenses. I could live with that. We are not unrealistic.

But as a sample of the public it's pretty good. It shows that less than 10% of people looking at this thread support the protests. It was written in the other thread "The public support us" which is a fallacy, like I said.

Oddly he hasn't come back to this thread since.

Im here and dont presume that I would ever run scared from a thread.

The poll may very well be an accurate reflection of people on this forum but as a statistical sample its useless as you dont know the profiles of the average poster on here, and even if you did, I bet it wouldnt equate to an accurate sample of the general public.

And just so people are clear I didnt vote so Im not one of the 4. I thought my feelings were clear without having to distort a poll.

If we use the fact that you reckon taxi drivers are no different to say shop workers then apply min wage standards €8.60 an hour
    Minimum wage is for employees. You are a self employed businessman and believe me there are LOADS of self employed businessmen taking home less than the equivalent of the minimum wage these days. Head over to askaboutmoney.com to see how many businesses are failing.

The poll may very well be an accurate reflection of people on this forum but as a statistical sample its useless as you dont know the profiles of the average poster on here, and even if you did, I bet it wouldnt equate to an accurate sample of the general public.

Yapiddy yappiddy yap yap.

The public do not support you, keep living in dream land. The media don't either, like I said. Perhaps it's time for a new tactic, one that doesn't annoy you're whole customer base. That'd probably be more work than striking though wouldn't it? Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

I dont support the protest but my reason for doing so is different to what I have seen on this thread so far. In any of the protests I have seen, either on the paper or on the news, the one thing that strikes me in any of the protests is that all of the drivers protesting are Irish with no foreign person protesting. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

If I am not wrong, then I think the real reason is not to do with the increasing amount of taxies out there, its to do with who is driving them but dressed up as something different. Over the last 2 years, there has been an increase in the amount of black taxi drivers. The protests have started in the last year or 2. To me that seems like a credible connection. If you get into a taxi driven by an irish person. its very easy to get them onto the this topic and its always that there are to many foreign taxi drivers out there. When I say its a free market and would the complaint be the same if the increase in numbers was down to more Irish drivers, silence usually prevails or the coversation is led back to the amount of foreign taxi drivers out there.

I am surprised they arent complaining about the amount of taxi drivers from the country who descend on Dublin during the weekend. My sister in law from Offaly knows so many drivers from Offaly who come up to Dublin at the weekend who do this and make a killing. Yet you do not see the taxt drivers protesting about that.

Again correct me if I am wrong but if anyone else has noticed this, I would love to know

• Advertisement

Mary D wrote: »
    I don't think the problem with taxis is the number of them on the road at the moment, it's the f**king price they charge, it's frightening. Fair enough their prices went up in the last few years with everything else. The economy is now is a slump and the taxis are still charging top dollar, you'd nearly want to take a personal loan out to afford a taxi journey. Also, if you want a taxi these days, it's very hard to just stop one on the street as they don't drive around scouting for work, you're forced to phone one to your house (which you have the privilege of paying for) or else go to a rank where about 20 taximen are huddled together in a little group that you feel you're breaking up by asking for a taxi.

Its not hard to stop one on the street and I reject this claim. There are 562 rank spaces for 15k taxis.They cant all be ranked up.

I agree taxis are too expensive for the current climate, but the price is reflective of the drivers need to make a living in a saturated market. Just for the record most drivers didnt want the most recent price increase but were forced into it by the regulator. Petition her for a decrease.

So are you saying that taxi drivers shouldnt be allowed stand around talking to each other when they have little else to do??? Ridiculous statement imo

If we use the fact that you reckon taxi drivers are no different to say shop workers then apply min wage standards €8.60

In general taxi drivers are self employed, not staff. Thats the key difference that none of the drivers who have posted on here seem to realise. This means the buck stops with them in regards to their business. If they can't legally run their business in such a way that it covers it's own costs then that business is ineffective and invalid, whatever the reason may be.

There is no point trying to blame the regulator/ government/ customers/ economy/ random god. There comes a time in every industry where it become over satuarated and un profitable for some or many and this is the time that a %age of the suppliers to the market have to decide to cut thier losses and leave or try to hang on while others do until the market finds the balance it can sustain.

Buyers determine the market, not suppliers. Though taxi drivers seem to think they have a god given right to turn this on its head, making up thier own condition to the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

And just so people are clear I didnt vote so Im not one of the 4. I thought my feelings were clear without having to distort a poll.

Hold on, are people of boards not the "general public" are we some sort of elite group?

People from all walks of life and all walks of society post here.

why would the fact the poll is on boards have any baring?

jdscrubs wrote: »
    I dont support the protest but my reason for doing so is different to what I have seen on this thread so far. In any of the protests I have seen, either on the paper or on the news, the one thing that strikes me in any of the protests is that all of the drivers protesting are Irish with no foreign person protesting. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

If I am not wrong, then I think the real reason is not to do with the increasing amount of taxies out there, its to do with who is driving them but dressed up as something different. Over the last 2 years, there has been an increase in the amount of black taxi drivers. The protests have started in the last year or 2. To me that seems like a credible connection. If you get into a taxi driven by an irish person. its very easy to get them onto the this topic and its always that there are to many foreign taxi drivers out there. When I say its a free market and would the complaint be the same if the increase in numbers was down to more Irish drivers, silence usually prevails or the coversation is led back to the amount of foreign taxi drivers out there.

I am surprised they arent complaining about the amount of taxi drivers from the country who descend on Dublin during the weekend. My sister in law from Offaly knows so many drivers from Offaly who come up to Dublin at the weekend who do this and make a killing. Yet you do not see the taxt drivers protesting about that.

Again correct me if I am wrong but if anyone else has noticed this, I would love to know

During last weeks protest there were quite alot of immigrant drivers there. One of the guys involved with the commitee itself is not irish.

The unions have been tackling the issue of country drivers coming up to Dublin, but with little effect. Before the new licence numbering system was introduced 2 years ago it was very hard for these guys not to get caught, but with a national numbering system, unless you actually check their id badge you cant tell where they are from. This is an issue, but again comes back to enforcement from the regulator.

Hope this answers your questions

Jdscrubs, I hope you're wrong and I would say partially you are. I refuse to believe all drivers are racists. I know some are.

I was driven home one night by a chap going too fast, he nearly hit a parked car. A bit later he nearly hit a taxi on George's st. as we passed I saw the driver was black and became worried...

Driver: "Stupid F* N*"
    Paul: "Excuse me?"
    Driver: "Sorry, I'm not racist, I just hate them C*"

I asked to be let out there and paid my fare with no tip. So yes, there are drivers like the ones you described, some of whom probably are, however I would like to believe that there is more to it than just that. I think I have to as I don't believe any group of people could be that horrible in this day and age.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    Hold on, are people of boards not the "general public" are we some sort of elite group?

People from all walks of life and all walks of society post here.

why would the fact the poll is on boards have any baring?

No they are not an elite group, but if you know anything about statistical analysis you should know that without proper profiling the poll only indicates lack of support from posters on boards. It is not a proper public poll. This is basic statistics ffs.

In general taxi drivers are self employed, not staff. Thats the key difference that none of the drivers who have posted on here seem to realise. This means the buck stops with them in regards to their business. If they can't legally run their business in such a way that it covers it's own costs then that business is ineffective and invalid, whatever the reason may be.

There is no point trying to blame the regulator/ government/ customers/ economy/ random god. There comes a time in every industry where it become over satuarated and un profitable for some or many and this is the time that a %age of the suppliers to the market have to decide to cut thier losses and leave or try to hang on while others do until the market finds the balance it can sustain.

Buyers determine the market, not suppliers. Though taxi drivers seem to think they have a god given right to turn this on its head, making up thier own condition to the market.

The problem is there is no where for drivers to go. Many would leave if they could, but they cant and thats the real problem. Technically they still have a job even if its very low paid. There is no state assistance for any driver who just leaves the industry and cant get a job so whats your solution to this problem????

The problem is there is no where for drivers to go. Many would leave if they could, but they cant and thats the real problem. Technically they still have a job even if its very low paid. There is no state assistance for any driver who just leaves the industry and cant get a job so whats your solution to this problem????

This applies to anyone who has a failed business. What should they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭oppiuy

if i had a taxi, id be dropping my prices and giving set fares. Advertising this to the local and wider community. arrange to pick people up on nites out etc.
    Id be proactive in trying to make a living and not just complaining.

oppiuy wrote: »
    if i had a taxi, id be dropping my prices and giving set fares. Advertising this to the local and wider community. arrange to pick people up on nites out etc.
    Id be proactive in trying to make a living and not just complaining.

Yeah, "8 20 20 20" are giving 20% off all fares booked through them. The whiners here won't go to them as they don't get 20% of their costs. Cake and eat it too.

No desire to compete, no desire to appeal to the public. Just whinge and protest until we get our way. Forget about everyone else.

This applies to anyone who has a failed business. What should they do?

There business gets wound up and they will get state assistance eventually. Taxi drivers would not get anything if they voluntarily wound up their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭oppiuy

The laws a of good business sense apply to the taxi sector as well.

I think i could make a go of this taxi business, where does one get a licence

Yeah, "8 20 20 20" are giving 20% off all fares booked through them. The whiners here won't go to them as they don't get 20% of their costs. Cake and eat it too.

No desire to compete, no desire to appeal to the public. Just whinge and protest until we get our way. Forget about everyone else.

Many drivers have left said firm as business is not increasing despite the advertising and they are waiting just as long for a job and for less money so as predicted they are worse off than they were before. Cake and eat it, I think not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Right here is a fact for you, no driver is making anything close to the figures you put forward. They are lucky to be turning over that amount which as you know turnover does not equal income.
    No it doesn't. But you're running a business. And if you can't get a good turnover, you pack up. I would also dispute that "no driver is making anything close" assertion because if they were earning that little they would have given up the game a long time ago.
    If we use the fact that you reckon taxi drivers are no different to say shop workers then apply min wage standards €8.60 an hour for lets say a 40hour week(unrealistic but this is an example). By your reckoning I would be enititled to earn( not turnover) €344 a week. To earn this I would still have to turnover approx €800 a week.
    That's a matter for your business. If you need to turn a profit nearly 50% then you need to reduce your cost of sales. Some fancy accounting tricks and you could write off a whole pile of expenses as "cost of sales" - whereas Joe PAYE has to pay his insurance, motor tax, petrol, phone bills & service costs out of his net income, you get to write them all off as expenses.

That is, let's say Joe Paye earns 20k a year. Out of that he pays his €500 insurance, €200 motor tax, €100/month petrol, €50/month phone bill and €300 vehicle service. That's €2,800 you don't have to earn as profit because it's taken out of your turnover - i.e. you only have to earn €17,200 per year profit to be in the same situation as Joe.
    Thats €20 an hour,turnover, on a 40hour week. Most drivers are doing well if they turnover even half that on any given day, including saturdays. So now drivers are working an 80 hour week, which has always been against the law for taxi drivers, and still only earning minimum wage. Those are the facts.
    I paid €15 for a 5-minute taxi drive two weeks ago. I paid nearly €20 for a 15 minute drive last week. Now I'm not saying that drivers are going to have someone in their cab every minute of the day, but if a normal fare is say, 10 minutes at €10*, then you only need a 30% occupancy rate to meet your minimum profit. Which means that in a 40 hour week, you only need spend 12 of those hours with someone actually in your vehicle. And a lower occupancy rate should mean lower costs, at least in theory.

What also baffles me is that some taxi drivers go on about things being very slow and awful quiet, and then on the same day in a similar part of the country, another taxi driver will tell you that he hasn't stopped all day.
    Now either one of them is lying, or one of them is shrewd. I go for the latter. You should be out chasing business, not sitting at taxi ranks having a good old natter with your buddies. You don't make a successful business sitting around talking about how much money you're not earning. Because that's what you're running - a business. And good businesses chase sales, they don't wait for sales to come to them.

*Considering that we pay €4.10 before the taxi even moves, and assuming a rate of 40km/h, you will cover 6.7km in 10 mins. So 5.7km * €1.03/km = €5.87

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 michael_23

Absolutely not.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement