Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protesting taxi drivers: do you support them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Spook_ie wrote: »
    You are ill informed because you don't want to be informed, you can't educate someone who refuses to be educated, you ask questions on here and elsewhere you get given answers and you automaticly close your mind to the answers and say "Ah they just want a cap on licenses to make the licenses worth more" or similar, TBH I could educate Kathleen easier than some. You keep taking the bus, I'll keep on protesting....and educating those that want to be educated!!!!

Wow, harsh words. :rolleyes:

I tried to listen and reason with all of you in the other thread. But you don't need our support. I tried to give better ideas on how to handle it. You don't need our support.

I don't refuse to be educated, quite the contrary in fact. I do have a problem with whingers who care for no one but themselves and told me they don't care if the public support them or not. It's not about not wanting to be educated, quite the opposite in fact. I tried to 'educate' you on how to handle it better. Which you refused.

I'm thrilled to see the outcome of the Goodbody's report and as long as you're all acting like spoiled children, I hope this continues. It's not about refusal to be educated, it about not supporting people who claim they don't need support.

I'm actually quite tempted to start a lobby encouraging people not to use taxis while you're having your hissy strikes. See how important public support is there. Odds are I won't though, I have to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

In normal business when things get quiet you try harder. You give a better service, you make sure the customer is happy, you give promotional pricing at certain times, you look at ohter ways of increasing your business.

In the Irish taxi business - the ones that moan non stop - it seems that when things get difficult, they moan & whine, treat customers with distain, increase their prices and all queue together at 3 or 4 locations expecting customers to go out of their way to find them.

Wake up to yourselves. - No one is forcing you to stay in the business.

Keep your cars clean, present yourselves properly, open the doors for your passengers, know where you're going and say thank-you when you get paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

In the words of Paul Weller....
    "The public want what the public get.."

In future when someone comes on here whinging about a bad experience regarding a Taxi journey please point them in the direction of this thread and the locked thread in Motors.
    There are a lot of decent drivers out there who genuinly care but these will be driven out of the industry and it will be left in the hands of god knows who.

In future when someone comes on here whinging about a bad experience regarding a Taxi journey please point them in the direction of this thread and the locked thread in Motors.
    There are a lot of decent drivers out there who genuinly care but these will be driven out of the industry and it will be left in the hands of god knows who.

bcmf wrote: »

Sorry it posted twice.Dont know why!!

darc wrote: »
    In normal business when things get quiet you try harder. You give a better service, you make sure the customer is happy, you give promotional pricing at certain times, you look at ohter ways of increasing your business.

In the Irish taxi business - the ones that moan non stop - it seems that when things get difficult, they moan & whine, treat customers with distain, increase their prices and all queue together at 3 or 4 locations expecting customers to go out of their way to find them.

Wake up to yourselves. - No one is forcing you to stay in the business.

Keep your cars clean, present yourselves properly, open the doors for your passengers, know where you're going and say thank-you when you get paid.

Having customers to get into the car in the first place would be a nice place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Wow, harsh words. :rolleyes:

I tried to listen and reason with all of you in the other thread. But you don't need our support. I tried to give better ideas on how to handle it. You don't need our support.

I don't refuse to be educated, quite the contrary in fact. I do have a problem with whingers who care for no one but themselves and told me they don't care if the public support them or not. It's not about not wanting to be educated, quite the opposite in fact. I tried to 'educate' you on how to handle it better. Which you refused.

I'm thrilled to see the outcome of the Goodbody's report and as long as you're all acting like spoiled children, I hope this continues. It's not about refusal to be educated, it about not supporting people who claim they don't need support.

I'm actually quite tempted to start a lobby encouraging people not to use taxis while you're having your hissy strikes. See how important public support is there. Odds are I won't though, I have to work.

No you keep saying the public won't support taxi drivers, I say we don't need your support because your support wouldn't be worth the breath you so far wasted on it. If the public supported the taxi drivers there would be heaps of emails, letters etc. pointing out to Dempsey and Doyle just how there policies aren't working, instead all we ever get when pointing out the fallacies and inadequcies of the present system are snide snipes and aspertions that we are running hidden adgendas. If the only way to stop these is by protesting then so be it! BTW I would welcome your counter lobbying, should make for some interesting afternoons.....

No you keep saying the public won't support taxi drivers, I say we don't need your support because your support wouldn't be worth the breath you so far wasted on it. If the public supported the taxi drivers there would be heaps of emails, letters etc. pointing out to Dempsey and Doyle just how there policies aren't working, instead all we ever get when pointing out the fallacies and inadequcies of the present system are snide snipes and aspertions that we are running hidden adgendas. If the only way to stop these is by protesting then so be it! BTW I would welcome your counter lobbying, should make for some interesting afternoons.....

Yaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnn.

This is going round and round and round. You have no support, you aren't trying to get support. You are getting no support because you're marketing is atrocious. As long as you're going to do it "your way" you're going to fail and keep on failing.

Look at how you're presenting yourselves do you not wonder why no one supports you? Here's one, its' nothing to do with not liking taxi drivers, you're your own worst enemies.

Since I don't support you, there's no point trying to get my support as the public don't support you anyway, is that what you said above? I can certainly see why you're using striking as your only option. Marketing is definitely not your strong point.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Yaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnn.

This is going round and round and round. You have no support, you aren't trying to get support. You are getting no support because you're marketing is atrocious. As long as you're going to do it "your way" you're going to fail and keep on failing.

Look at how you're presenting yourselves do you not wonder why no one supports you? Here's one, its' nothing to do with not liking taxi drivers, you're your own worst enemies.

Since I don't support you, there's no point trying to get my support as the public don't support you anyway, is that what you said above? I can certainly see why you're using striking as your only option. Marketing is definitely not your strong point.

What is it about this marketing statement6 that you can't get to grips with...

The public (support or not ) will not affect the TRs/DoTs policy of capping or not, plate numbers and reforming the industry, therefore while your understanding of the situation would be desirable it is not essential ( as you know little of the taxi industry or of economics ) but instead apply the typical mantra of "Finding it's own level" or "Surrvival of the fittest", the problem now with the GB report being out ( flawed as it is ) is that it's not going to be survival of the fittest, more of survival of those with a 2nd income to supplement their part time work......you the public are still going to suffer in the end....

The public (support or not ) will not affect the TRs/DoTs policy of capping or not, plate numbers and reforming the industry, therefore while your understanding of the situation would be desirable it is not essential ( as you know little of the taxi industry or of economics ) but instead apply the typical mantra of "Finding it's own level" or "Surrvival of the fittest", the problem now with the GB report being out ( flawed as it is ) is that it's not going to be survival of the fittest, more of survival of those with a 2nd income to supplement their part time work......you the public are still going to suffer in the end....

And AFAIK the protests will still be ongoing..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Spook_ie your attitude sucks...

By the way spook_ie do you know how to get to the airport...????:D

By the way spook_ie do you know how to get to the airport...????:D
    I do, why do you need a sat nav?

I do, why do you need a sat nav?
    No i know my way like my 10 fingers. But some of your fellow colleagues need sat nav to navigate them in the streets of dublin and even to get to the airport which is a shame. Some of them doesn't know where the registry office in dublin is?

For me they should go for a class of three months to learn customer service, to have a good personality and to learn the name of the roads and where it is situated. Then you get your permit. No need to protest and make a tantrum when you taxi drivers dnt do your job properly.

No i know my way like my 10 fingers. But some of your fellow colleagues need sat nav to navigate them in the streets of dublin and even to get to the airport which is a shame. Some of them doesn't know where the registry office in dublin is?

For me they should go for a class of three months to learn customer service, to have a good personality and to learn the name of the roads and where it is situated. Then you get your permit. No need to protest and make a tantrum when you taxi drivers dnt do your job properly.

So now we come back full circle to where the demand for a temporary moritorium on plates and a restructuring of the industry came from in the first place, no talkin' to some is there..........or is that " No listening from some!! "

This thread is boring me now. Here's a tip. Stop looking for the moratorium. You'll never win.

I'm starting a campaign to cap IT staff, just while we restructure the industry. :rolleyes:

Even when you get the Goodbody report you so knew had all the answers, it's now flawed. Good luck with your failed protests, as long as they're on going, I hope you continue to suffer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So now we come back full circle to where the demand for a temporary moritorium on plates and a restructuring of the industry came from in the first place, no talkin' to some is there..........or is that " No listening from some!! "

You dont need a moritorium to intorudce standards.

A moritorium wasnt introduced when the new learner permits where brought in.

It would be simple to introudce a new standard for new drivers and gradually introduce the standard for exisiting drivers.

I think most people would be in favour of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

We came out of the Point(sorry 02)on Sunday night,not a taxi insight,we ended up walking to OConnel st to get one.
    I thought there was to many taxies in the city or maby they were protesting on sunday night.Where were you all on Sunday!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

holly1 wrote: »
    We came out of the Point(sorry 02)on Sunday night,not a taxi insight,we ended up walking to OConnel st to get one.
    I thought there was to many taxies in the city or maby they were protesting on sunday night.Where were you all on Sunday!!!!!!!!!
    the powers that be will not let taxis park up anywhere near the o2 .
    every rank around the city was full at the time you mentioned .but drivers have been scared off going near the o2 because of the amount of fines thats been handed out .[theres plenty of room around there to put a taxi rank in ]
    the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that it will always be so. so as the people attending the 02 will have to use the new luas line when it comes on stream .

• Advertisement

every thread that involves the taxi industry goes the same way .
    you only have to type the word TAXI and the posts start flying on how the drivers are a moaning shower of s##ts ,how i waited four hours back in 2000 for a taxi home .
    why i had to pay €20 for a taxi home when ive just payed €8 for a pint on dawson st .
    how i had a row with a taxi driver when i was a student [or still am ] because he told me to "get a room " when i was trying to get into mary anns knickers in the back of his taxi one night .
    now the snippers have more ammo with the publication of this goodbody report .
    im a taxi driver [full time btw] and all i ever wanted was to provide a decent good service for the travelling public .
    ive only glanced at this report .but from what ive took out of it it is seriously flawed in many aspects .
    one i will state is that im not earning anyway near the amount that goodbody suggests i am .[region of 45kto 56k ]
    jeeeze if i was on that kinda money ,do yous think id be out protesting over the last six weeks .[me arse!i would be doing better stuff with the few hours i do have off to rest ]
    standards are dropping fast atm .its not about trying to shut the door and keep the whole cake for ourselves .
    we the full time genuine taxi drivers are finding it very very hard to keep some kind of standard on what we are earning atm .
    people outside the industry dont really know how the taxi industry works .
    its hard to compare like with like when it comes to taxis .and a good example is this goodbody report .
    YOU THE TRAVELLING PUBLIC deserve a taxi service where you get into a car and are transported to your destination without the driver needing a sat nav,fresh driver /car, not going to get ripped off,
    SOME would be happy to fall into a s***box to get home after a night as long as the fare dos,nt exceed €3 .[which will end up being more like €15 after the rip off ]
    ITS YOUR CHOICE PEOPLE but the way things are going atm the latter will be the case .
    the protests are just to get the powers that be to open their eyes and see that the industry is in free fall .
    we dont want the door closed ,we want it just to be put ajar for the time being ,till a PROPER root and branch study is done .with reps from both sides of the counter taking part .
    went off on abit of a rant. but please believe me that its YOU the public that are at heart here
    thank you
    lost marbles

:D:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::D

holly1 wrote: »
    Holly they were out protesting somewhere.......:pac:

Holly they were out protesting somewhere.......:pac:
    my old grandmother used to have a saying
    "if you,ve nothing to say then its better to say nothing "

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::D poor taxi drivers, they are having bad times on boards.ie

And my father used to say , never complain about your jobs because you are lucky to have one, if you want to complain you better change job and do something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 carolinearc

Totally agree with you scorpio, if they want to protest and complain, want more money, want this, want that. They better look for another job and leave the jobs for those who are interested in the jobs and who are capable of doing it. Am also glad about the number of percentage of people who are against about this protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

every thread that involves the taxi industry goes the same way . blah blah blah

You're obviously choosing not to read this or the other active thread on this topic at the moment because apart from one or two posts, the rest have been logical and make good points. You're blinkers are alllowing you to only see the ones you want to see.

there are alot of people in walks of life i dispise [hate is too strong a word ] but i dont go jumping on the band wagon putting up polls as to wether i support them or not when they have a gripe over their working conditions and take to the streets in protest .
    maybe yous should start the same polls on the teachers,farmers, guards ,nurses ,oaps,civil servants, .
    some just have a bee in their bonnet .[those who decide on stupid polls about something they know very little about ]
    tell all the above to change their jobs if they have a gripe .
    should the oaps just curl up and die .

To be honest i dnt really support the taxi drivers protesting.
    I had quite a few bad experiences with them before and some of my friends too. Their problems is new license being given to foreigners which they hate.
    They like to sit in their cars and get job easily. You have to go and look for jobs, drive around etc. Also some of them, especially the irish one's, they better go and study a dublin map before going on the road. Also their union should also offered them a good customer service. About tip, they doesn't deserve it at all. I've talked to many drivers and most of them have second house in spain, france, thailand and goes on holidays 5 times a year. so where are we going? They are not poor at all and if they doesn't like the way the job is, they better quit and find something else.:mad:
    Stop robbing the poor innocent people with excuses that your meter is not working. Stop charging extras when a foreign people enter your car or by going different roads to get to the destination. I know all your tricks.
    you mean like this post
    :D

Jip wrote: »
    You're obviously choosing not to read this or the other active thread on this topic at the moment because apart from one or two posts, the rest have been logical and make good points. You're blinkers are alllowing you to only see the ones you want to see.
    ive read ALL the other threads on taxi drivers and this one is only an add on by a poster who started a thread and was losing his arguement .
    as ive already said
    those who know very little about the taxi industry should not make sweeping comments on why they should support or not support said industry. when does who know it best decide to try putting the wrongs to right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

ive read ALL the other threads on taxi drivers and this one is only an add on by a poster who started a thread and was losing his arguement .
    as ive already said
    those who know very little about the taxi industry should not make sweeping comments on why they should support or not support said industry. when does who know it best decide to try putting the wrongs to right

Eh, no, the poll is in response to a taxi driver on another thread who implied taxi drivers had public support for their protests. People who know absolutely nothing about the taxi inustry have every right to comment when taxi drivers start blocking streets and affecting everyone else.

MOH wrote: »
    Eh, no, the poll is in response to a taxi driver on another thread who implied taxi drivers had public support for their protests. People who know absolutely nothing about the taxi inustry have every right to comment when taxi drivers start blocking streets and affecting everyone else.
    140k people took to the streets afew weeks back and affected the travelling public
    yet i dont see any polls up making comments on how they affected some .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

imo the protesting taxi drivers are giving their industry a bad name.
    Speaking for myself there is no way i'm giving my dosh to these guys.
    How to tell taxi drivers apart?
    Avoid the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭confused-dazed

there are alot of people in walks of life i dispise [hate is too strong a word ] but i dont go jumping on the band wagon putting up polls as to wether i support them or not when they have a gripe over their working conditions and take to the streets in protest .
    i was going to refrain from posting in this thread till i saw this amongst others.
    i aint jumping on no band wagon where you might not use the term hate i certainly will. i can think of a hell of alot more words that are far worse only thing is if i use them on boards i'll be banned for life.the reason i made this poll was because of the attitude of taxi drivers in the other thread who seem to think that the joe public is behind them but as far as i can see the public your customers who some drivers dont give a toss about have spoken
    every thread that involves the taxi industry goes the same way .
    you only have to type the word TAXI and the posts start flying on how the drivers are a moaning shower of s##ts ,
    im a taxi driver [full time btw] and all i ever wanted was to provide a decent good service for the travelling public
    standards are dropping fast atm
    YOU THE TRAVELLING PUBLIC deserve a taxi service where you get into a car and are transported to your destination without the driver needing a sat nav,fresh driver /car, not going to get ripped off,
    i'll tell you why i hate them so much, it's to with the one thing you have'nt bothered your arse to mention. the safety of other road users and your passengers. taxi drivers are the only ones that get away with murder out there when it comes to bad driving.maybe if you learned how to drive then you just might get a bit of respect from me and alot of other posters.
    taxi drivers are a menace and a danger to other road users they dont and never have given one toss for anyone else that uses the road, now i've spelt out why i hate taxi drivers so much. the sooner alot are put of the road for their driving the happier i'll be.
    i hate the ****ers pure and simple.

i was going to refrain from posting in this thread till i saw this amongst others.
    i aint jumping on no band wagon where you might not use the term hate i certainly will. i can think of a hell of alot more words that are far worse only thing is if i use them on boards i'll be banned for life.the reason i made this poll was because of the attitude of taxi drivers in the other thread who seem to think that the joe public is behind them but as far as i can see the public your customers who some drivers dont give a toss about have spoken

i'll tell you why i hate them so much, it's to with the one thing you have'nt bothered your arse to mention. the safety of other road users and your passengers.taxi drivers are the only ones that get away with murder out there when it comes to bad driving.maybe if you learned how to drive then you just might get a bit of respect from me and alot of other posters.
    taxi drivers are a menace and a danger to other road users they dont and never have given one toss for anyone else that uses the road, now i've spelt out why i hate taxi drivers so much. the sooner alot are put of the road for their driving the happier i'll be.
    wow there ! thats a very rash statement to make .do you know every single taxi driver out there ,or is there a certain type
    .:confused:.
    taxi drivers are the only ones that get away with murder out there when it comes to bad driving.
    and you have the statistics for this do you .?
    there you go i rest my case .
    you started this thread because SOME OR THE ODD taxi driver is a bad driver ,[probably cut you up some day] so you go and steriotype every single person out there on the road that has a roofsign on their car .ill get my own back and go on boards.ie and bad mouth the lot
    narrow minded or what ???

i'll tell you why i hate them so much, it's to with the one thing you have'nt bothered your arse to mention. the safety of other road users and your passengers. taxi drivers are the only ones that get away with murder out there when it comes to bad driving.maybe if you learned how to drive then you just might get a bit of respect from me and alot of other posters.

So now we get to the real reasons for your snide posts and comments, it's nothing to do with taxi drivers protesting or not, you just don't like them full stop. So therefore you would never have supported any root n branch reformation, protests or not, temporary moritorium or not, you are just TAXIIST....

Well me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

As I said before, taxi drivers have a level of familiarity with the road that the rest of us don't have and as such behave differently in situations than everyone else would.

When I am in a taxi and paying for what's on the meter, I'm happier to have a driver who drives aggressively than one who slows down for green lights in the hope they'll turn red, stops randomly on Dawson St. to let pedestrians cross where there is no crossing, sits at junctions for minutes; all the while the meter is increasing.

The likelihood is that where there is poor enforcement there will be poor standards and if taxi drivers aren't ticketed for sitting on yellow lines, going up contra-flow bus lanes or parking on pavements then they'll all continue.

As I said before, taxi drivers have a level of familiarity with the road that the rest of us don't have and as such behave differently in situations than everyone else would.

Otherwise know to other regular road users who use the roads daily as a level of wrecklessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Otherwise know to other regular road users who use the roads daily as a level of wrecklessness.

Well, they'll squeeze their way into gaps that a normal motorist wouldn't have the confidence to do so. Again, it comes down to law enforcement. If they do so dangerously they should be punished using existing laws.

• Advertisement

You're either giving them too much credit or aren't a confident driver yourself.

These lads are no masters of the road, they are generally (and yes I am making a generalistation here but as someone who's been driving around the city centre for over 10 years I feel well qualified to do so) chancers when it comes to general road courtesy and do their best to try bully other road users. Unfortunately there's people, probably similar to yourself, who give them the road space to allow them get away with such a thing.

Here's something for you to try, next time you see a taxi try something that you don't think a regular driver wouldn't have the confidence to do have a look and see if they've a passenger or not. 9 times out of 10 they'll be empty but as soon as they have a paying fare they have no urgency to get anywhere, will stop at every amber light and will not try get down those gaps you think you wouldn't manage.

140k people took to the streets afew weeks back and affected the travelling public
    yet i dont see any polls up making comments on how they affected some .

I haven't seen any posts on boards from them claiming that they had widespread public support. Though given the disparity of groups involved, they probably would have a higher level of support. And anyway, there's no comment in the poll: it's a simple question: "do you support the taxi drivers' protest"

You're either giving them too much credit or aren't a confident driver yourself.

These lads are no masters of the road, they are generally (and yes I am making a generalistation here but as someone who's been driving around the city centre for over 10 years I feel well qualified to do so) chancers when it comes to general road courtesy and do their best to try bully other road users. Unfortunately there's people, probably similar to yourself, who give them the road space to allow them get away with such a thing.

Here's something for you to try, next time you see a taxi try something that you don't think a regular driver wouldn't have the confidence to do have a look and see if they've a passenger or not. 9 times out of 10 they'll be empty but as soon as they have a paying fare they have no urgency to get anywhere, will stop at every amber light and will not try get down those gaps you think you wouldn't manage.
    did it not ever occur to you ,that when a taxi driver might have passengers onboard that he would have their safety inmind and would,nt
    take any chances with amber lights ect .
    look for the sake of an extra 50c on the meter :confused:
    things are getting hard out there but if 50c extra on a fare is going to make the difference then id give you it .just to stop the moaning .
    i think ive got to the hub of this thread now .it has nothing to do with taxi drivers protests .its roof sign envy .

MOH wrote: »
    I haven't seen any posts on boards from them claiming that they had widespread public support. Though given the disparity of groups involved, they probably would have a higher level of support. And anyway, there's no comment in the poll: it's a simple question: "do you support the taxi drivers' protest"

DOH ! its because nearly every "walk of life "was represtented in that march .
    do you support me polls dont work

did it not ever occur to you ,that when a taxi driver might have passengers onboard that he would have their safety inmind and would,nt
    take any chances with amber lights ect .

You're almost conceeding my point there in saying the reasons for doing this when they have passengers on boards is for safety, therefore the reasons for not doing the same when they have no passengers is that they're not concerned for anyones safety. You're lack of comment on what I would see as normal driving by taxis is notable in its absence.

If you read my post you will see that my point had nothing to do with the price of fares of when I'm a passenger but the total disregard for other road users in their hurry to get anywhere when empty.

"Roof sign envy", that's hillarious.

DOH ! its because nearly every "walk of life "was represtented in that march .
    do you support me polls dont work

Eh, what? You've lost me. I've no idea what that last sentence means.

There's a poll: "do you support protesting taxi drivers?" - seems fairly straightforward to me. Doesn't have anything to do with any march, simply a poll to see how many respondents are in favour of taxi drivers' protests.

Maybe you should start your own "do you support polls about protesting taxi drivers?" poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭confused-dazed

Well, they'll squeeze their way into gaps that a normal motorist wouldn't have the confidence to do so. Again, it comes down to law enforcement. If they do so dangerously they should be punished using existing laws.
    it has absolutely nothing to do with confidence, it's down to stupidity and reckless endangerment nothing more and this is exactly what most taxi drivers do, whether a lane is five feet wide or fifteen it makes no difference. it doesn't matter how wide a road is once it's marked as a single lane. it does not give anyone the right to make two or three lanes out of that single lane, it's the same if there are two narrow lanes. it's doesn't give them the right to make a single lane. the law is there for a reason and it's there for everyone there are no exceptions and that includes taxi drivers.
    anyone can make a mistake.i'm a regular bus user and work in town so i commute alot in and out of town. spookie have you figured out how i can be in two places at once yet?:D
    confidence does not mean taking and making illegal manovers whenever one pleases.

as soon as they have a paying fare they have no urgency to get anywhere,
    then you did,nt say this ???
    i didnt say that taxis drive badly when they have no passengers onboard
    you said that
    the roads are full of lunatic drivers its just the roof sign on a taxi that defines from others
    how about a poll do you support civil servants who are bad drivers who drive blue micras .
    because its in the same vain as i see this thread .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

it has absolutely nothing to do with confidence, it's down to stupidity and reckless endangerment nothing more and this is exactly what most taxi drivers do, whether a lane is five feet wide or fifteen it makes no difference. it doesn't matter how wide a road is once it's marked as a single lane. it does not give anyone the right to make two or three lanes out of that single lane, it's the same if there are two narrow lanes. it's doesn't give them the right to make a single lane. the law is there for a reason and it's there for everyone there are no exceptions and that includes taxi drivers.
    anyone can make a mistake.i'm a regular bus user and work in town so i commute alot in and out of town. spookie have you figured out how i can be in two places at once yet?:D
    confidence does not mean taking and making illegal manovers whenever one pleases.

And of course every other road user apart from taxi drivers never breaks the law or makes illegal manoveors. The assertion that all taxi drivers drive recklessly and without due dilligence is like saying that all people form Limerick are drug-dealing scumbags or that every person under 18 wearing a hoodie is up to no good. Its an unfair generalisation and its just wrong.

There are bad drivers who are taxi drivers, of course there are, but I wouldnt say the percentage is any higher than the % of other road users who are equally terrible. The standard of driving in this country is shocking full stop.

How often do you notice what other road users do when your on a bus?? My guess is you only really pay attention when its a taxi doing something thats dangerous or illegal.

• Advertisement

Would you ever wise up, the fact is most drivers in cities do this ( rightly or wrongly is nothing to do with the thread as they aren't all taxi drivers ) simply because they have been brought up to drive this way by years of ineptitude fron the transport department ( odd how they keep coming into the thread ) What do you mean by "anyone can make a mistake" is this going to be your opt out clause for the 75% non taxi drivers who do the exact same thing as you're critisicing?, No I haven't figured it out as I'm only a taxi driver and I concentrate on my job not looking out for superman ( who just happens to make as much sense in his comic book scenarios, as you do about real life )

Again it comes down to driver education not taxi education, the taxi education should be about the use of bus lanes, note the only exceptions to taxis using bus lanes ( Taxis being in use or plying for hire ) are where a sign explicitly prohibits them or on a contraflow bus lane, if the Gardai ignore them that's the Gardai's fault as a few tickets would soon remind them of the legal aspects of bus lanes, so stop moaning on here and talk to the Garda Traffic Division, might just help stop the odd argument I get from customers telling me to take the bus lane round Stephens Green and onto Leeson St.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement