Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protesting taxi drivers: do you support them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

SC024 wrote: »
    If the taxi industry is so bad why the feck is there still people going to all the trouble of getting plates, passing the test and buying a car to get in and make no money??

Bacause unfortunately like most of the people on this thread they think that us taxi drivers make a fortune! I have met several people lately who have invested their redundancy (on advise of social welfare & FAS) and now realise that it is as bad as we say and unfortunately now that they are self employed realise that they're stuck.

The fact is our government are doing nothing for any of us be it private or public sector - they have no PLAN OF ACTION. There are many protests happening at the moment (i.e. teachers, public sector) and each one of us want a decent future, we need hope - I don't have any hope for next week never mind next year! I'm only one of thousands but if we bitch about each other instead of standing up for ourselves what are we left with? - government TDs and Ministers who will never know what it is like to worry about the next mortgage payment or how to put food on the table next week. When their term ends they will live happily ever after. I have never been one to complain or protest but I can't continue the way things are now - each week is worst that the last - believe whatever you wish - but I will no longer allow this government to destroy my only source of income and the lives of my children. I will support other taxi drivers, teachers, public service and anyone else who is willing to stand up against the mockery of a government we have! I may disagree with some of their opinions but I understand their anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

amtaxi wrote: »
    Bacause unfortunately like most of the people on this thread they think that us taxi drivers make a fortune! I have met several people lately who have invested their redundancy (on advise of social welfare & FAS) and now realise that it is as bad as we say and unfortunately now that they are self employed realise that they're stuck.

The fact is our government are doing nothing for any of us be it private or public sector - they have no PLAN OF ACTION. There are many protests happening at the moment (i.e. teachers, public sector) and each one of us want a decent future, we need hope - I don't have any hope for next week never mind next year! I'm only one of thousands but if we bitch about each other instead of standing up for ourselves what are we left with? - government TDs and Ministers who will never know what it is like to worry about the next mortgage payment or how to put food on the table next week. When their term ends they will live happily ever after. I have never been one to complain or protest but I can't continue the way things are now - each week is worst that the last - believe whatever you wish - but I will no longer allow this government to destroy my only source of income and the lives of my children. I will support other taxi drivers, teachers, public service and anyone else who is willing to stand up against the mockery of a government we have! I may disagree with some of their opinions but I understand their anger.

Yaaaay, 93rd Anniversary popular uprising scheduled for Easter......I love the sound of it...................Bring on the Rebels, burn the Banks, shoot the managers ( and look how much we'll save in pensions to boot :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Have you never heard of the laws of supply and demand?
    The same laws that govern almost every other industry, Why should the taxi's be capped and create yet another monopoly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The same laws that govern almost every other industry, Why should the taxi's be capped and create yet another monopoly?

See post #1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

You answered your own question

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭baloonatic

Seeing as another protest was today, how do people feel about it,

(I know there were other threads started but this one has a nice little poll and 11 pages of comments)

I just want to respond to some of the comments that were made in the locked thread in regards to Daffodil Day and how "the taxi drivers have ruined it".

1, TDFC did not know that it was on when this was planned and when they were informed, it was too late to cancel it.

2, Todays protest, unfortunatly was quite small and in the end caused very little disruption to traffic, as the guards directed all normal traffic down the bus lanes.

3, Do people not realise that if the figures that are collected are down it probably has more to do with people having less money to give than 400 taxi drivers protesting for a few hours.

4, Alot of the cars on the protest advertised Daffodil day and almost all drivers contributed.

5, Tommy Gorman hijacked the whole thing yesterday on Liveline as he is part of the problem and was in fact in the regulators office during todays protest, so is it any wonder he didnt want it to go ahead??? This man does not represent the views of all drivers and has no mandate to do so.

6, The man from Goodbodys who wrote the report admitted to our reps the other day in a meeting that his report is already out of date as it was conducted in the 3rd quarter of last year when the economy was not in the same position as it is now.

7, Do people think that cancer has never effected a taxi drivers life and that
    we would delibratly set out to hijack their main fundraising event for the year??? Grow up. Many drivers including myself have seen members of our families ravaged by this horrible illness and we fully support the Irish Cancer Society and their work, they are fantastic individuals and provide great comfort and support for patients and families alike. To suggest that taxi drivers will be responsible if their donations are down would be laughable if it didnt disgust me for its sensational attempt to demonise taxi drivers

None of the above points changes the fact that taxi drivers generally are the worst group of crying, whining, moaning fe*kers there ever was... for Fe*k sake if it rains out you lot are out protesting causing disruption and inconvienance for ordinary Joe & Jane public who are trying to get to work on time and then you expect the same people to pay you...

Come off it Cinderella!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Taxipete29 wrote: »

1, TDFC did not know that it was on when this was planned and when they were informed, it was too late to cancel it.

2, Todays protest, unfortunatly was quite small and in the end caused very little disruption to traffic, as the guards directed all normal traffic down the bus lanes.

So it would appear your own "members" dont give a ****

Your intentions where to cause traffic disruption regardless of whether it did or not.

• Advertisement

I just want to respond to some of the comments that were made in the locked thread in regards to Daffodil Day and how "the taxi drivers have ruined it".

3, Do people not realise that if the figures that are collected are down it probably has more to do with people having less money to give than 400 taxi drivers protesting for a few hours.

4, Alot of the cars on the protest advertised Daffodil day and almost all drivers contributed.

5, Tommy Gorman hijacked the whole thing yesterday on Liveline as he is part of the problem and was in fact in the regulators office during todays protest, so is it any wonder he didnt want it to go ahead??? This man does not represent the views of all drivers and has no mandate to do so.

6, The man from Goodbodys who wrote the report admitted to our reps the other day in a meeting that his report is already out of date as it was conducted in the 3rd quarter of last year when the economy was not in the same position as it is now.

7, Do people think that cancer has never effected a taxi drivers life and that
    we would delibratly set out to hijack their main fundraising event for the year??? Grow up. Many drivers including myself have seen members of our families ravaged by this horrible illness and we fully support the Irish Cancer Society and their work, they are fantastic individuals and provide great comfort and support for patients and families alike. To suggest that taxi drivers will be responsible if their donations are down would be laughable if it didnt disgust me for its sensational attempt to demonise taxi drivers

I have to agree with you there Pete. I can't see this protest having had any negative impact on the collection day and I don't think the taxis intended to disrupt it.

You did set out to disrupt the city, but not the Irish Cancer Society day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

Appears they are having their biggest protest on april 1st
    Great!! city fu***d again!
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/taxi-drivers-planning-strike-for-april-1-1681320.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭jack90210

pipsqueak wrote: »
    Appears they are having their biggest protest on april 1st
    Great!! city fu***d again!
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/taxi-drivers-planning-strike-for-april-1-1681320.html

It's a work stoppage this time so it will actually be the complete opposite as there will less taxis on the road. And I wouldn't worry about not getting one on the day, the part timers will be out in force and sure out of the supposed 16000 taxi drivers only 70 turned up the other day and 1500 the time before. So I'd say the April Fools joke will be on those taxi drivers who don't work that day! This actually another advantage of the free market system and the presence of part timers it means the city can't be held to ransom.

jack90210 wrote: »
    It's a work stoppage this time so it will actually be the complete opposite as there will less taxis on the road. And I wouldn't worry about not getting one on the day, the part timers will be out in force and sure out of the supposed 16000 taxi drivers only 70 turned up the other day and 1500 the time before. So I'd say the April Fools joke will be on those taxi drivers who don't work that day! This actually another advantage of the free market system and the presence of part timers it means the city can't be held to ransom.

Just let them protest. And everybody get on wit life without them. End of story.

A bit like the miners striking against Thatcher. Showed how indespensible they were by stopping work. When everybody realised they could do without them if needs be.

Answer me this, How do you suppose part-timers are going to fill in when they have their other jobs to do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭jack90210

Answer me this, How do you suppose part-timers are going to fill in when they have their other jobs to do??

1. Many part timers are living mainly off their redudancy packages and so only work the busier times. And will clearly see April 1st as an opportunity.
    2. Ever hear of a half day or a day off from work? (paid)
    3. Ever hear of a "sick day"? (paid)
    4. The part timers who only work Friday and Saturday nights will make an exception and be straight out for that night.

Prob more reasons, is Ireland playing that night? More money lost for the taxi drivers by a silly strike.

I agree with the previous poster, these protests have clearly proven that taxi drivers striking causes no real impact. They played their "trump card" too early with the drive through town and it failed failed failed.

• Advertisement

1. Many part timers are living mainly off their redudancy packages and so only work the busier times. And will clearly see April 1st as an opportunity.
    2. Ever hear of a half day or a day off from work? (paid)
    3. Ever hear of a "sick day"? (paid)
    4. The part timers who only work Friday and Saturday nights will make an exception and be straight out for that night.

Prob more reasons, is Ireland playing that night? More money lost for the taxi drivers by a silly strike.

I agree with the previous poster, these protests have clearly proven that taxi drivers striking causes no real impact. They played their "trump card" too early with the drive through town and it failed failed failed.

Can i just point out that a driver whos sole income is Taxi driving and even if they only work 2 days a week, for my mind is not a part-timer. The definition of part-timers within the industry has always been those who have a full time day job and taxi in their spare time.

If you think that a driving protest is the Taxi drivers "Trump Card" you really underestimate the deep rooted resentment of the way things are being run and the resolve of the drivers who are willing to try to effect change for the better.

One of the reasons for the low turnout for protests in comparison to actual numbers of drivers is because many drivers feel protesting such as we did is not enough, many want an all out strike and will only join in when such action is taken.

I still think we can change things and this fight is only just getting started as its personal now for alot of guys with the recent death of The Chairman of TDFC David Meade. He started this off and got the debate out in the open, got guys to protest in the streets to fight for our right to earn a decent wage and no matter what anyone here says, we have the right to earn a proper wage the same as anyone else in this country who works for a living.

Ah now Cinderella... Where do you think you are? Disney world??

Come off it...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Alan1988

Nope, dont agree with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jackthelad23

i want to moan about people moaning about moaning taxi drivers.....
    I think there is more people moaning about moaning taxi driver than there are moaning taxi drivers
    and because i am the the first moaner to moan about the people moaning about moaning taxi drivers I dont want anybody cutting in on my idea and moaning about me moaning about the people moaning about moaning taxi drivers
    :confused:
    i dare ya to moan ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ill find out where ya live ,,,,,,,,,,,,

promise,,,,,,,,,
    let the air ou your tires and overturn your wheelie bin i will.
    then ya have somethin to moan about:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

i want to moan about people moaning about moaning taxi drivers.....
    I think there is more people moaning about moaning taxi driver than there are moaning taxi drivers

of course there are there are what 4-6'000 taxi drivers and maybe 100-200'000 people using their service

• Advertisement

ha ha ,,, 20,000 actually ...I want to moan about people who moan bout moaning taxi Drivers ,,,,especially the ones who havnt a clue what there talkin about and dont know there facts.:D
    Half a brain:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

HA HA PISSIN MESELF HA HA HA HA AH

DONT THINK ILL BOTHER WITH YOUR WHEELIE BIN HUSSY......UR A THICK,,,,FEEL SORRY FOR YA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

jackthelad23 banned.

This is a general warning. The taxi threads have a tendancy to descend into mess. If this one goes the same way from here on, I will systematically close taxi related threads for the next week and apply permanent bans to users who cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 merc330

I fail to see why taxi drivers think they are so special compared to everyone else especially when they charge over the odds rates

See, your whole argument falls apart on this point.

"They" don't charge over the odds, its the taxi regulator who sets the tariffs not the drivers.

People should get this out of their heads as its just become a mantra for the ignorant.

Taxi drivers and their representitive bodies (the unions) all opposed last Novembers 8% fare increase, your gripe here really is with the taxi regulator and not the driver's, same goes for the condition of the vehicle and drivers, if your not bringing those concerns to the attention of the taxi regulator your doing yourself and your family and friends who use taxi's a greater dis-service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

merc330 wrote: »
    See, your whole argument falls apart on this point.

"They" don't charge over the odds, its the taxi regulator who sets the tariffs not the drivers.

People should get this out of their heads as its just become a mantra for the ignorant.

Taxi drivers and their representitive bodies (the unions) all opposed last Novembers 8% fare increase, your gripe here really is with the taxi regulator and not the driver's, same goes for the condition of the vehicle and drivers, if your not bringing those concerns to the attention of the taxi regulator your doing yourself and your family and friends who use taxi's a greater dis-service.

the taxi drivers can charge below what's on the meter. So if they opposed the 8% increase, they don't have to apply it. They do tho :)

My objection to this is that the taxi-drivers are trying to impose a monopoly by capping the numbers of plates. It's that simple. No other section of the workforce gets any protection, and the taxi drivers shouldn't either. If the taxi drivers are making so little money, they should do what anyone else would do and look for another job.

Instead, they decide that there are no other jobs available (fair enough) and so they try to cover their arse. I can understand why they are doing it, but that doesn't make it right. The problem is that they deny they are trying to cover their arse, instead they say it's in the interests of the consumer. It's not. I've yet to hear a single taxi driver offer to hand their plate in - instead, they try to deny the same rights to newcomers as they themselves had when they got their plate.

I would imagine most non-drivers see things the same way as me, which is why the protests are so small. Most people had a problem with medical cards issue in the last budget, and because enough people protested, the government re-visited it. That shows that if enough people care about an issue, something can be done. Not enough people care about this issue, which is why nothing is being done. So, the taxi drivers decide that the only option left to them is to piss off loads of people until the people say "look, just give them what they want so we can all get around the city again". It's a really really bad stratagy imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

tbh wrote: »
    the taxi drivers can charge below what's on the meter. So if they opposed the 8% increase, they don't have to apply it. They do tho :)

I have to come in on this point (reluctantly).

First off I don't support the protests, and I think independent traders going on strike is very much 'Paddy the pig' mentality.

Tbh, I think its rediculous but it gives a small minority of driver's a chance to 'big themselves up a little, and reading spooks site it would appear it gives the idiots in the business ample oppertunity to mouth off and act like thugs, but its not all posters there in fairness.

But having said that I'll address your point right there as I also beleave in having a little balance to the discussion too.

I use taxi's alot, and I'd reckon in over 90% of the time I'm charged below the metered fare, not massive amounts but of those drivers who under charge me the fare is in most case's brought down to the nearest euro and in others to the nearest fifty cent.

I'm also old enough to remember when taxi owners (not to be confused with taxi drivers as there was a lot of 'cosys' back in the day) had a very tight monopoly on the business, that was terrible for us punters.

But now the the pendulum has swung too far to the other side and as a result I do think the service has suffered, there are a lot more taxi's now - indeed its brilliant when I walk out of the local and there's a choice of car's waiting to ferry me home.

Things I didn't like back before De-Reg were the difficulty in finding a cab, and when you got one the driver almost expected you to kiss his arse for the favour.

Things I don't like now - vehicle standards have dropped drastically, I still see new cars on the road, but I wonder are these the lads who've bought into the business expecting it to be the cash cow it once was. I don't like it that a sizable proportion of drivers in Dublin have little knowledge of the city or the English language - this to me is VERY annoying, its not because I'm looking at it from a racist POV (tbh I can't blaim foreigner's trying to make a buck) but I ain't spending good money on a poor service.

Some mentioned Spook.ie's site, yes it has some very nasty people who are poor representitives of the taxi industry. But this board more than anything displays a hatred of taxi drivers which frankly I find worse than anything I've read on Spooks site.

If the same hatred was posted about minority groups here, or religious groups or even a bloody football team there would be instant bannings on most sites.

But for some reason here on boards inciting hatred of a sector of Irish community is almost welcomed and encouraged.

Granted there are bad drivers out there, but I believe the majority are just like the rest of us, stressing over a poor economy, listening to wives and partners bitch about no money etc, ie - trying to etch a living in bad times.

But fvck it, protests - strikes and bullyboy tactics ain't the way to win hearts.

all very valid points Mairt, but don't you think it's funny that there are two things being complained about: failure to cap plates, and implementing higher fares. They can do something about one of those issues, but they don't. I'm not saying I blame them, of course I don't, but I feel it's a little disengenious to say that it was forced on them (which was the point I was replying to) when they could easily choose not to implement it, and no-one would have a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

all very valid points Mairt, but don't you think it's funny that there are two things being complained about: failure to cap plates, and implementing higher fares. They can do something about one of those issues, but they don't. I'm not saying I blame them, of course I don't, but I feel it's a little disengenious to say that it was forced on them (which was the point I was replying to) when they could easily choose not to implement it, and no-one would have a problem with it.

As I understand it they had one month from Nov to have their meter's re-calibrated otherwise they were operating illegally.

I think for most driver's it cost upwards of about €90- to have the meter recalibrated and sealed, if drivers want to recoup that loss I don't think we can blaim 'em tbh.

Re. putting a cap on licences, that I can understand to a point. Let it be a temporary capping, then built more taxi ranks so that guys are not blocking the backs of ranks, or causing further traffic conjestion because there are not enough rank spaces if thats what they want.

But I do know that to continue to dish out licences will do no one any favours, not us the paying customers who must suffer now with reduced standards in the industry 'nor the drivers - fvck, I can't stand anymore of their whinging, bitch'n & moaning :P - having said that, I do think alot of them have a neck like a jockies bollox to be moaning!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

mikemac wrote: »
    You can't say the public don't care.
    When I approach a taxi in a rank I look for the sticker on the back window.
    And before we even move off I look for the farecard and a photo ID.

And the one I was told the photo ID was "left at home,bud" I got the taxi behind him instead.
    And I certainly don't always get the first taxi in the rank. We've all seen cars with bust lights and unfortunatly some drivers line up in a rank and then wonder why they get skipped. If their lights are broken then why are they working?

What more can I do?
    Would it have been fairer if you posted "most of general public don't care".
    lol, and then every few pages I read about taxi drivers complaining about blanket statements and generalizations and you do the same yourself.
    Guess, I'm only joe public :(

Ya took me up all wrong a rear sticker and a laminated id are really easy to forge. Next time ya get a taxi take a closer look at the id, you could make one your self with a pc and a laminater. Hell you can buy a meter and a roof sign with out any id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

the taxi drivers can charge below what's on the meter. So if they opposed the 8% increase, they don't have to apply it. They do tho :)...Why should they charge less than on the meter ..The meter is there for a reason to show the full price of the fare..If you go into a bar and want a pint and its 5.40 for the pint ,,you have to pay the FULL price to get that pint ..Similarily if yo go to a shop and a pair of jeans is 60 euro ,,you PAY 60 euro for the jeans otherwise you dont get them,,,,,Its that simple .

My objection to this is that the taxi-drivers are trying to impose a monopoly by capping the numbers of plates.,,,,,,,,, They're not get your facts right ,,,,,,,,,, It's that simple. No other section of the workforce gets any protection, and the taxi drivers shouldn't either. If the taxi drivers are making so little money, they should do what anyone else would do and look for another job. Many are trying to do that

Instead, they decide that there are no other jobs available (fair enough) and so they try to cover their arse. I can understand why they are doing it, but that doesn't make it right. You seem to be full of contradictions ,,,,,,,,The problem is that they deny they are trying to cover their arse, instead they say it's in the interests of the consumer. Absolutely true ,,it is in the custormers interests to have a safe and reliable service ,,,It's not. I've yet to hear a single taxi driver offer to hand their plate in - instead, they try to deny the same rights to newcomers as they themselves had when they got their plate. Again you are incorrect ,,,get your facts right ,,,,

I would imagine most non-drivers see things the same way as me, which is why the protests are so small.,,,,,,,,,,I think you will find that there was an 85 -90% withdrawal of drivers last week ,,,,IF you think thats small ,,good for you !!!! Most people had a problem with medical cards issue in the last budget, and because enough people protested, the government re-visited it. That shows that if enough people care about an issue, something can be done. Not enough people care about this issue, which is why nothing is being done. So, the taxi drivers decide that the only option left to them is to piss off loads of people until the people say "look, just give them what they want so we can all get around the city again"There are numerous reasons for the recent taxi protests,when you get all the facts and stop being an armchair critic ,perhaps you could come back .But it seems to me that you are just anti taxi driver ,which is fine ,as is your right It's a really really bad stratagy imo.
    ok?

• Advertisement

Oisin, you've misunderstood pretty much every point of mine you've argued against. Can I also suggest it's not enough to suggest I've not got my facts right. It's pointless unless you outline what the correct facts actually are. I'd be interested to correct my mistakes.

Oisin, you've misunderstood pretty much every point of mine you've argued against. Can I also suggest it's not enough to suggest I've not got my facts right. It's pointless unless you outline what the correct facts actually are. I'd be interested to correct my mistakes.
    No I misunderstood nothing from what i see .Perhaps you could be so kind as to enlighten me further since you come across as knowing a lot .
    Thanks

..Why should they charge less than on the meter ..The meter is there for a reason to show the full price of the fare..If you go into a bar and want a pint and its 5.40 for the pint ,,you have to pay the FULL price to get that pint ..Similarily if yo go to a shop and a pair of jeans is 60 euro ,,you PAY 60 euro for the jeans otherwise you dont get them,,,,,Its that simple .

First of all, they should charge less than what is on the meter if they were opposed to the rise, and there's no legal obligation on them to charge it. To use your pint analogy, the publicans have agreed not to implement any price rises, so it was a bad example for you to pick! The taxi drivers said they don't want the rise, they don't have to implement it (they could just use a calculator to figure out how much to deduct).

Secondly, have you ever heard of haggling?

Instead, they decide that there are no other jobs available (fair enough) and so they try to cover their arse. I can understand why they are doing it, but that doesn't make it right. You seem to be full of contradictions
    you don't believe that someone can understand a point-of-view, and not agree with it?
    ,,,,,,,,The problem is that they deny they are trying to cover their arse, instead they say it's in the interests of the consumer. Absolutely true ,,it is in the custormers interests to have a safe and reliable service ,,,It's not.

so how does a cap on numbers make the service safer and more reliable? Surely the more drivers there are - assuming they all meet the required standards - the more reliable the service?
    I've yet to hear a single taxi driver offer to hand their plate in - instead, they try to deny the same rights to newcomers as they themselves had when they got their plate. Again you are incorrect ,,,get your facts right ,,,,

please let me know the correct facts
    I would imagine most non-drivers see things the same way as me, which is why the protests are so small.,,,,,,,,,,I think you will find that there was an 85 -90% withdrawal of drivers last week ,,,,IF you think thats small ,,good for you] !!!!

yes but how many of those drivers were non-drivers? have a look at what I said again ;)

oisindoyle wrote: »
    No I misunderstood nothing from what i see .Perhaps you could be so kind as to enlighten me further since you come across as knowing a lot .
    Thanks

maybe that's because of my style. I propose an argument and then back it up. It's the opposite of merely saying "you got your facts wrong". Give it a whirl!

Hey Lads Guess what happened last week???

You all went on strike last week, and Guess what?

SHOCK!! HORROR!! THE UNTHINKABLE!!

The world went on without you!! people just found alternative means of transport, Which more than likely was priced a bit more reasonably

First of all, they should charge less than what is on the meter if they were opposed to the rise, and there's no legal obligation on them to charge it. To use your pint analogy, the publicans have agreed not to implement any price rises, so it was a bad example for you to pick! The taxi drivers said they don't want the rise, they don't have to implement it (they could just use a calculator to figure out how much to deduct).

Secondly, have you ever heard of haggling?....Do you haggle when you are buying a loaf of bread ,,or a cinema ticket or clothes or tv licence ??,,,,,,,,,The VFI asked publicians to implement a price freeze ,,,,IT WAS VOLUNTARY,,,,As a foot note many pubs Ive been to have actaully increased their prices,,,but thats another story
    Worth pointing out to you THAT SOME drivers didnt feel an 8% increase was the best way to go given how bad the business is in at the moment ,,in case you havent got it Ill say it again to you ,,,SOME DRIVERS ,,,,
    Plus Id like to point out to you that car insurance ,petrol,,tax ,,food ,,clothes,,,have all increased .

you don't believe that someone can understand a point-of-view, and not agree with it?

so how does a cap on numbers make the service safer and more reliable? Surely the more drivers there are - assuming they all meet the required standards - the more reliable the service?...At the moment there is an estimated 2000 illegal taxis working ,Do you want to get into an illegal taxi? 2)Numerous reports (which also came from friends and family memebrs of mine ) that the driver could not speak english or have no clue how to get around ,,,A point made recently by Frank Fahy chairman of the Transport oireachtas committee ,,,,3) Many reported incidences of cloned taxis ,(Garda carriage office have verfied this also)

please let me know the correct facts

yes but how many of those drivers were non-drivers? have a look at what I said again ;)
    ????????????

ok

in the first point, I said that if taxi drivers don't want to implement a fare increase, they don't have to. This is correct. Whether they should or not is another argument, and not one I'm involved in, so your comment is irrelevant to my original point.

In the second point, I said "assuming they meet all the required standards". They wouldn't be illegal if they met all the required standards. Therefore, your comment on what you thought I said was irrelevant to what I actually said.

In the third point, I had originally said taxi drivers had little public support. You argued against that by saying 80% of drivers turned out in protest. I never said the protest didn't have support from drivers , I said non-drivers, so again your comment on that point was irrelevant.

if you want to argue on specific points, please make sure that you understand what I'm actually saying, and also, use the quotes tag: surround what I said with these tags: [ quote] and [ /quote] (remove the space). It makes it easier to reply. It's too nice a day to spend it sifting your comments out of my comments, and then explaining how you misunderstood my point in the first place.

This debate is also getting fractious.

I'd advise people to sit back and relax for a while. Please.

in the first point, I said that if taxi drivers don't want to implement a fare increase, they don't have to. This is correct. Whether they should or not is another argument, and not one I'm involved in, so your comment is irrelevant to my original point.....Well if a fare came to say 10euro 20 cents ,,most I fell would leave the fare at 10 euro ..If you are suggesting that drivers should for example ask for 6 or 7 euro from a 10euro metered fare ,then I think thats a no no .Why should they ,,They all have bills the same as other people ,,All drivers had to have their meters calibrated to show the new fare structure ,if a taxi hasnt done it ,they are working /acting illegally.....

In the second point, I said "assuming they meet all the required standards". ......Thats my point ,,,many cars out there havnt ,,,,They wouldn't be illegal if they met all the required standards. Therefore, your comment on what you thought I said was irrelevant to what I actually said.Really ? Oh ok thanks ,As I said earlier and Ill say again there are numerous cloned cars out there at present ,,,there are numerous cars out there with no licence ,,,ect ect the list goes on and on

In the third point, I had originally said taxi drivers had little public support. You argued against that by saying 80% of drivers turned out in protest. I never said the protest didn't have support from drivers , I said non-drivers, so again your comment on that point was irrelevant. Actually many many drivers mentioned that they had a quite surpriseingly amount of good will and support from the general public .Having said that ,I do not expect public support .I do however expect that a customer should feel safe in the knowledge that the taxi they hire is legal and the driver has complied with all relevant rules ,licening,insurance ...

if you want to argue on specific points, please make sure that you understand what I'm actually saying, and also, use the quotes tag: surround what I said with these tags: [ quote] and [ /quote] (remove the space). It makes it easier to reply. It's too nice a day to spend it sifting your comments out of my comments, and then explaining how you misunderstood my point in the first place.
    ...I would hate to think that you were being sarcastic !

• Advertisement

...I would hate to think that you were being sarcastic !

Answer me these questions, with a simple yes or no,

Is a taxi man obliged to charge the fare on the meter? I'm NOT ASKING IF HE SHOULD, I'm asking: IS THERE ANY LEGAL OBLIGATION ON HIM/HER TO CHARGE THE FULL FARE AS SHOWN ON THE METER Yes or no.

Did I say anywhere in any of my posts that illegal taxis were acceptable? Yes or no.

Is a taxi man obliged to charge the fare on the meter? I'm NOT ASKING IF HE SHOULD, I'm asking: IS THERE ANY LEGAL OBLIGATION ON HIM/HER TO CHARGE THE FULL FARE AS SHOWN ON THE METER Yes or no. Legally he has to charge the fare on the meter ,,YES

Did I say anywhere in any of my posts that illegal taxis were acceptable? Yes or no.
    ...I never suggested you did ,,So thats a no

In order for a taxi to successfully discount a fare it needs to be known about before the passenger gets in.

No point in a passenger getting a nice surprise at the end when they are prepared to pay the maximum.

If someone is looking to take a longer than average journey and they knew they could get it cheaper for taking a certain taxi then I'd imagine they would do so

Taxi drivers claim they are not allowed to advertise discounts on their cars so it's not going to happen. The taxi companies can differentiate by advertising that their cars are knocking off 20% and it seems to be working very well.

...Legally he has to charge the fare on the meter ,,YES

Incorrect.

It is the MAXIMUM fare that can be charged, the drivers can charge anything underneath this that they want.

I'll direct you to the following website:
    http://www.taxireg.ie/consumer/national-maximum-taxi-fare.html
    where you will see the key phrase:

Discounts at driver's discretion

Therefore, when I said that if taxi drivers don't want to implement the rise in fare, they don't have to, I was 100% correct. If you want to keep arguing as to whether they should do it or not, that's fine by me, but I'll not be responding on that count.
    ...I never suggested you did ,,So thats a no

So why have you been talking about illegal taxis? illegal taxis are a problem whether there are 3000 plates or 30,000 plates, actually more so if there is a cap on plates introduced. It has nothing to do with the opinion I stated, so it's puzzling that it would form such a large part of your defense of taxi drivers.

Incorrect.

It is the MAXIMUM fare that can be charged, the drivers can charge anything underneath this that they want......Your question to me was "IS THERE ANY LEGAL OBLIGATION ON HIM/HER TO CHARGE THE FULL FARE AS SHOWN ON THE METER Yes or no. Legally he has to charge the fare on the meter ,,YES
    A driver wanting to give a discount at his discretion is a separate issue .......

I'll direct you to the following website:
    http://www.taxireg.ie/consumer/national-maximum-taxi-fare.html
    where you will see the key phrase:

Discounts at driver's discretion

So why have you been talking about illegal taxis? illegal taxis are a problem whether there are 3000 plates or 30,000 plates, actually more so if there is a cap on plates introduced....More so really ?How do you work out that logic ,,, It has nothing to do with the opinion I stated, so it's puzzling that it would form such a large part of your defense of taxi drivers. Really ??

.Your question to me was "IS THERE ANY LEGAL OBLIGATION ON HIM/HER TO CHARGE THE FULL FARE AS SHOWN ON THE METER Yes or no. Legally he has to charge the fare on the meter ,,YES
    A driver wanting to give a discount at his discretion is a separate issue .......
    this is pointless. If he was obliged to charge the full fair, he couldn't give a discount. The meter isn't the required fair, it's the maximum fare.
    More so really ?How do you work out that logic

if there are less legal plates available, there is more chance that people will try to use illegal plates.
    Really ??

yeah. really.

• Advertisement

@oisindoyle,

please learn to use the quotes properly as described by tbh in this post. Since you subsequently quoted the post I know you have read it.

Your posts are incredibly difficult to read. This is very unfair on the rest of the community. Please have some consideration for people who are reading this thread.

regards,

Calina - C&T Moderator.

Is a taxi man obliged to charge the fare on the meter? I'm NOT ASKING IF HE SHOULD, I'm asking: IS THERE ANY LEGAL OBLIGATION ON HIM/HER TO CHARGE THE FULL FARE AS SHOWN ON THE METER Yes or no.

Regulations SI710/2007 state a number of things regarding the fare increase and use of the taximeter.

1. Drivers who do not have their meter calibrated with the new fare within 21 days are subject to a fine of €250 - so yes they are obliged by law to implement the fare increase on their meters

2. When a taxi is plying for hire they are legally obliged to operate their taximeter when hired - be it from taxi rank or when hailed down - also subject to €250 if driver fails to comply.

3. The ONLY time when a driver is permitted to agree a fare without using the meter is when there is a prior agreement (prebooked service) and the consumer agrees in writing to wavier their right to have the fare calculated on the meter.

4. A driver may at his own discretion give a discount on the fare but must run the fare on the taximeter - with the exception of point 3. In other words at the end of a journey a driver (many do) give a discount i.e. fare 10.85 - charge 10 - the point is they MUST use the meter.

These are the legal requirements in relation to use of the taximeter, so I guess the answer to your question is no! However the taximan/woman is legally entitled to be paid the fare as calculated on the meter!

amtaxi wrote: »
    Regulations SI710/2007 state a number of things regarding the fare increase and use of the taximeter.

1. Drivers who do not have their meter calibrated with the new fare within 21 days are subject to a fine of €250 - so yes they are obliged by law to implement the fare increase on their meters

2. When a taxi is plying for hire they are legally obliged to operate their taximeter when hired - be it from taxi rank or when hailed down - also subject to €250 if driver fails to comply.

3. The ONLY time when a driver is permitted to agree a fare without using the meter is when there is a prior agreement (prebooked service) and the consumer agrees in writing to wavier their right to have the fare calculated on the meter.

4. A driver may at his own discretion give a discount on the fare but must run the fare on the taximeter - with the exception of point 3. In other words at the end of a journey a driver (many do) give a discount i.e. fare 10.85 - charge 10 - the point is they MUST use the meter.

These are the legal requirements in relation to use of the taximeter, so I guess the answer to your question is no! However the taximan/woman is legally entitled to be paid the fare as calculated on the meter!

ok but my question wasn't about whether they were entitled to or not, it was whether they were obligated to or not.

-

So why have you been talking about illegal taxis? illegal taxis are a problem whether there are 3000 plates or 30,000 plates, actually more so if there is a cap on plates introduced. It has nothing to do with the opinion I stated, so it's puzzling that it would form such a large part of your defense of taxi drivers.

In relation to capping of the issue of taxi plates - my understanding is (I'm not involved) that they are seeking a temporary cap on the issue of plates. This is to allow time to sort out the big mess in relation to the operation of illegal drivers, cloned plates etc. There is a hugh problem with the lack of enforcement and drivers are very fustrated with this - the public should also be unhappy with this as if there were proper enforcement there wouldn't be as many reasons to complain about things such as overcharging, poorly maintained vehicles, driver behaviour etc. There are 9 enforcement officers for the entire country and the garda have now (in my area) wiped their hands of complaints referring everything to the regulator!
    There is a thought among drivers that if the playing field was level there would be a much better taxi industry for both the consumer and service provider.

ok but my question wasn't about whether they were entitled to or not, it was whether they were obligated to or not.

I thought I had answered clearly enough - so in simplier terms

They are obliged legally to use the taximeter - it is an offence not to except in the case of a pre-booked (i.e. by phone) when the service provider (taxi) and consumer have agreed a fare and the consumer (passenger) in this case the consumer must sign a wavier to have his fare charged offmeter. This is not allowed at a rank or when hailing a taxi!

A taxidriver is entitled to give a discount but is not obliged to

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement