Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chronicles of Riddick:Assault on Dart Athena Demo

• 06-03-2009 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Has anyone played the demo yet? What's it like? Is it any good? It's been getting some good reviews in the game mags recently, and as Escape from Butcher Bay was one of the best games for Xbox, this should be as good, if not better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I didn't like it at all. It feels like his eyes are in his chest. Also, thought the melee combat was clumsy and I didn't feel as good as Riddick was in the movies, felt like just an average joe with weird eyes.

I didn't really give it a chance though, and I really do want to like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Resounding MEH from me, it feels like the old Xbox game. Pity though as I loved Starbreeze other game The Darkness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Resounding MEH from me, it feels like the old Xbox game. Pity though as I loved Starbreeze other game The Darkness.

ah crud, i was looking forward to this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Em this may sound quite stupid, but in the demo, when you take control of the drone...you kill the 2 guards, then have to go up a ladder? But I cant go up the ladder....is there a specific button to press or something!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

Played the demo last night, very nice..
    although the multiplayer looks like a straight Halo 3 copy..

>Moiph to get up the ladder
    you don't :) go back to the fan, put a clone into the fan, which jams it, then get another clone and walk through the fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

I thought the demo was crap. It was very inaccessible. I'm going to run through it now so don't read if you haven't played the demo yet.

His first quote at the start of it is that you "need to create a distraction". Only the big flashing "PRESS Y TO KILL GUARDS" prompt seems to contradict this. Once they're dead, the other guard wanders over or you sneak up on him you can stealth-kill him or fight him hand to hand. There's no explanation on how to do any of the cool moves from the original Butcher Bay, so unless you experiment loads you just block and attack when your opponent drops him guard. Which is a bit **** really but once you know what you're doing it *should* be better.

Short cutscene then featuring the female Ron Perlman of videogame voiceovers and 2 guards bust in on you. You can get the drop on one, but the other will be luck rather than skill. I pegged it to the drone control room anyway. Then you get to control the drones and some kickass music starts playing. The drones are fun but the combat is very poor. The enemy AI consists of taking cover behind a wall, firing a few shots and then popping out to die/shoot at you. I did like the "puzzle" with the fan, that was a nice touch.

The level design is very enclosed and corridor-based, with not much opportunity for the stealth-kills aside from running around a corner and waiting for them to follow.

The guards don't seem to bat an eyelid at the corpses strewn around everywhere, but go about their business as normal without even raising the alarm. What is this, 1999 again? I was really pissed off by this as I put one of the guards corpses at the start in the dark but in the 3rd guards path hoping he'd trip over it and then I'd stealth kill him as he went back to see what it was. But no, he just -noclip'd right through it. :mad:

I'll get this for Butcher Bay again, but my expectations went way down after playing the demo. The gameplay hasn't advanced much at all. :(

Multiplayer looks interesting. The overall package may be quantity ahead of quality though. :mad:

Advertisement