Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the panic on.

Options
  • 06-03-2009 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭

A lot of pistol's and revolver's for sale.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Fair question, wrong place. Moved to the general shooting forum.

Personally, I think the selling's more to do with the general economic collapse, but the handgun ban threat does seem to be acting as a complete damper on actual sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As well as that it looks like a lot of practical pistols:(:(:(.

Not to mind that the Gardai have now seemingly gone into "policy" mode again and are not issuing any more pistol liscenses or big cal liscenses.

[They will do exchange liscenses,apprently on a 2 or 1 to 1 ratio:( Two small cals for one big calibre.At least this was the deal I was offered and have heard this is happening in a couple of other districts in the East of the country.Local results may vary]
    So how can you sell somthing like this if no one can liscense it here?
    No ne seems to be any wiser can you trade in the same cal for a different type?IE trade my 9mmGlock for a 9mm Para Ordnance?
    SNAFU at the moment.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That makes sense, it's common knowledge that someone who is no longer considered responsible enough to own a 'big' pistol will be fine with two .22s :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

kowloon wrote: »
    That makes sense, it's common knowledge that someone who is no longer considered responsible enough to own a 'big' pistol will be fine with two .22s :pac:.

One for each hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Sparks wrote: »
    Fair question, wrong place. Moved to the general shooting forum.
    No bother sparks, i'm still trying to get used to posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

An Irish Rambo!
    "DIE PAPER TARGETS!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEYYYYEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"

Er, no, most of the target shooting disciplines have rules about making an eejit out of yourself like that, 'cos it distracts the other competitors in an unsportsmanlike way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

marlin vs wrote: »
    A lot of pistol's and revolver's for sale.

If only I had money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D
    An ability to shoot would be nice too.:D:D:D

However, it's Friday, for many the weekend is their time to shoot; and by God this weekend I'll be shooting, shooting as close to that bullseye as I can possibly get and to hell with the doom and gloom!! With my headphones on I can't hear the words recession or ban!

Hurrah!! (cue inspirational uplifting music and chest swelling pride for your chosen shooting sport)

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

So is it time to start looking into moving pistols across the boarder into the north as club guns?

Grizzly do you mean large cal rifles are not been licenced? If so whats the cut off cal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

there are still pistols being licenced spoke to a dealer in the north I know well he only sent 3 pistols south last week

• Advertisement

Licenced yes; but the Minister was rather adamant that those licenced after Nov08 wouldn't be renewed MS :(
    And it does look like there's an upsurge in the centrefire stuff, especially the pistols, being sold off.

chem wrote: »
    So is it time to start looking into moving pistols across the boarder into the north as club guns?

Grizzly do you mean large cal rifles are not been licenced? If so whats the cut off cal?

Proably not a bad idea to keep your options open.You never know how things might swing here.

No,from what I gather is, NO new liscenses will be issued for big cal rifles,[nothing on calibre]unless you want to trade in one or two smaller calibre guns for the big calibre rifle.This is what I have over heard in a conversation on the East coast in some district[dunno where] and what I have been personally told by my Super,if I wanted a bigger caliber rifle for deer hunting.Again local district results may differ on this.
    It seems to be back to the numbers game and "policy" of how many guns a household or person should have.All wrapped up in the recent firearms thefts and tiger raids.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Proably not a bad idea to keep your options open.You never know how things might swing here.

No,from what I gather is, NO new liscenses will be issued for big cal rifles,[nothing on calibre]unless you want to trade in one or two smaller calibre guns for the big calibre rifle.This is what I have over heard in a conversation on the East coast in some district[dunno where] and what I have been personally told by my Super,if I wanted a bigger caliber rifle for deer hunting.Again local district results may differ on this.
    It seems to be back to the numbers game and "policy" of how many guns a household or person should have.All wrapped up in the recent firearms thefts and tiger raids.

Looks like the 80s have returned:rolleyes: and im not talking about the fashion and resession:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Er, no, most of the target shooting disciplines have rules about making an eejit out of yourself like that, 'cos it distracts the other competitors in an unsportsmanlike way.

I don't think we taking the p1ss out of target sports, we were having a go at the "1 big one for 2 little ones" policy

Not you Jonty, but Genghis MacYelly above.

Done some asking around today. Im getting told that max rifle cals are to return to 22-250:eek:

What the hell has happened in such a short time:confused: it was looking good for shooting sports here for awhile:(

Im getting told that max rifle cals are to return to 22-250
    Says whom?

Says whom?

Two gun dealers.

Uh huh! And these two gun dealers are prepared to sit on a load of unsellable big cals if this comes thru??:rolleyes: Everything is up in the air at the moment so rumours and rumours of war will abound.

Gotta say chem, having spoken to the guys in the DoJ and Gardai at the latest FCP seminar, there's nothing like this even being hinted at. Fullbore rifles just aren't seen as a big problem; handguns is what has them worried at the moment, the rest of the stuff isn't even coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

Gotta love the 'rumour mill' and "I was told by so and so" factor... Bottom line, the only people who know where all this nasty business will lead, is the staff at the DOJ (That is... when they are finished plotting ways to stop tax's on their pensions being introduced :D) and all we can do is wait, to see where it will all lead!
    Just to add to that 'grinding incessant mill' I changed my .22lr semi-auto today for a .223 semi-auto, with not a "why do you want that then?" in sight...But I did get asked a strange question from my FO, and that was, "What do you think is going to happen with handguns?"
    "You tell me? was my response, a response that was met with an equally blank look and a shrug of the shoulders from both of us...
    I could be wrong here...but when my FO is in the dark about the new legislation, I seriously doubt that one or two gun dealers are really in the know about such matters, and instead probably fall under that age-old Irish trait, "I'll put out a question that has no merit whatsoever, and will await a responce that will confirm my worst fears or ease them!" Chinese whispers just ain't in it, when it comes to bs in this Country ;)

What .223 semi did you buy? Did you get a licence for it yet?

chem wrote: »
    What .223 semi did you buy? Did you get a licence for it yet?

I got a H&K MR.223, and yes I got the licence, that's what I meant by saying I changed my .22 to a .223, i.e. I got the licence changed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Meyer wrote: »
    I got a H&K MR.223, and yes I got the licence, that's what I meant by saying I changed my .22 to a .223, i.e. I got the licence changed over.

Pics please!!!

Was talking to my firearms dealer today, and it would seem that DOJ are no longer issuing import licences for handguns. He sent in 3 newly issued licences complete with 3 article 7's only to have them returned with a denial for importation. So It would seem to be beginning :(

If you have the licence and the article 7, can you not import it yourself?

If you have the licence and the article 7, can you not import it yourself?

You can, but the article 7 only gets you an article 11 from DOJ and those are the forms no longer being issued.(If memory serves me correctly...)

Ah. I had it the other way round in my head, but then it is two in the morning. :pac:

No, wait a minute, hang on. The Article 7 is for you, for a personal import. It's something the Gardai fill out and it's a legal entitlement under EU law, like the europass. The Article 11 is something you only have to get if you're going through the dealer, and the DoJ issue those and can refuse them. So if the 11's been refused, you can go do it yourself with an article 7. Right?

• Advertisement

No, wait a minute, hang on. The Article 7 is for you, for a personal import. It's something the Gardai fill out and it's a legal entitlement under EU law, like the europass. The Article 11 is something you only have to get if you're going through the dealer, and the DoJ issue those and can refuse them. So if the 11's been refused, you can go do it yourself with an article 7. Right?

I'm not too sure on that, you could be right, but the licences in question were through a dealer, and what worries me is, up until now and since The Ministers announcement, he has been issued with article 11's. It would seem that the DOJ is now starting to clamp down on pistols in preparation for the Ministers new legislation.

Advertisement