Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The W.A.S.P appreciation thread

• 06-03-2009 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

Teacher, Dominator 2007

Blind in Texas Live Key Club 2000

Love Machine, WASP, 1982

Animal(I F*ck like a Beast)WASP 1982.

and their film Debut:pac:
    Tormentor in Ragewar!

This band is seriously seriously underrated, its unbelievable. The main reason IMO was just as they were getting huge in the 80s, guitarist chris holmes left after the live in the raw album was released(this guy is a mad bastard, watch decline of western civilisation pt.2:D).

They are still churning out quality tunes, but will always be remember for their first two absoloutley kick ass albums WASP and Last command.

Their live shows were legendary, they had a topless girl on a rack and flung meat at her:pac:. Blackie also had the infamous exploding codpiece, rumoured to have gone wrong and so prefers to use elvis(his 6ft tall, monster mike stand)for his pyrotechnics:)

you can take yer Guns and roses and shove it up yer arse, this band kicks serious ass.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

kona wrote: »
    This band is seriously seriously underrated, its unbelievable. The main reason IMO was just as they were getting huge in the 80s, guitarist chris holmes left after the live in the raw album was released(this guy is a mad bastard, watch decline of western civilisation pt.2:D).

That's the one with him locked out of his mind in his swimming pool shouting at his mother isn't it? Legend.
    you can take yer Guns and roses and shove it up yer arse, this band kicks serious ass.
    I agree with this.

Quality tunes, Headless Children, Mean Man, Animal, Wild Child, Chainsaw Charlie (And every other song from that album) the list is endless. Double live assassins is an essential album for anyone that likes good rockin' songs, plain and simple. I don't have Dominator though, must check that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

That's the one with him locked out of his mind in his swimming pool shouting at his mother isn't it? Legend.

I agree with this.

Quality tunes, Headless Children, Mean Man, Animal, Wild Child, Chainsaw Charlie (And every other song from that album) the list is endless. Double live assassins is an essential album for anyone that likes good rockin' songs, plain and simple. I don't have Dominator though, must check that out.

dominator is really good, its a political wasp album:confused:, its about being anti-american due to the pointless war in iraq(of course blackies opinion). Id totally recommend it.

That scene from decline is just jaw dropping, its unbelievable stuff, it really is.:D then he pours the vodka over his face:pac:(real or not its gold)
    The bit with ozzy and the juice is gas too:D

The songs ar just real, no bollix, no ****, just full on fist in the air madness:D

We need another WASP, get rid of all this cookie monster bollox:mad:

dominator is really good, its a political wasp album:confused:, its about being anti-american due to the pointless war in iraq(of course blackies opinion). Id totally recommend it.

That scene from decline is just jaw dropping, its unbelievable stuff, it really is.:D then he pours the vodka over his face:pac:(real or not its gold)
    The bit with ozzy and the juice is gas too:D

The songs ar just real, no bollix, no ****, just full on fist in the air madness:D

We need another WASP, get rid of all this cookie monster bollox:mad:

I probably will get dominator eventually, for the music and not for blackie's political opinions :rolleyes: He's a bit of a dick head to be honest.

I do need to get more of their albums in general, the last albums I bought were the neon god part 1 and 2 and I was really dissapointed, the albums are basically the exact same as the crimson idol except with some parts directly lifted from mindcrime.

Holmes was a good guitarist in his day, but I've got a DVD of them live (The sting?) and he's in bits, terrible performance, you can tell it was the end. Last I heard he's working as a mechanic or something now haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

WASP have been one of my favourite bands forever. I saw them at the Top Hat on the Headless Children tour. No raw meat being thrown, no topless chicks on racks but it was a brilliant show. The Headless Children was a great album with totally ****e production though. Live, in the raw is a great album, I love Blackie's intro for Harder Faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

The BOFH wrote: »
    WASP have been one of my favourite bands forever. I saw them at the Top Hat on the Headless Children tour. No raw meat being thrown, no topless chicks on racks but it was a brilliant show. The Headless Children was a great album with totally ****e production though. Live, in the raw is a great album, I love Blackie's intro for Harder Faster.

Yep, i was there, PURE class!
    One of the best live acts ever! Didn't a certain sunday rag try and prevent them coming?

I remember some idiot was throwing spit at blackie and he addressed the situation rather well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There was more than one, it happened a lot at gigs back then, unfortunately. Bear in mind Anthrax walked off the same stage for that reason just two months later. I really thought they peaked with The Headless Children, just has more substance and better tunes than the early tunes. The Crimson Idol was a huge let down when it eventually came out and I've not really bothered with them since, but I still give The Headless Children a spin frequently enough.

That Top Hat gig is still one of my favourite gigs, I still have the t-shirt and a bootleg tape of it somewhere :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I only have one WASP album - Headless Children. Which being on LP I havn't heard for years. Very good though - thier cover of the Whos The Real Me is better than the original as I remember it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Seen them play the TBMC in....2007 I think it was...and they were brilliant, got in the gig for free as I was doing a review for an online paper....they were originally supposed to be playing the Tripod but that got cancelled. Went upstairs in the TBMC (yeah, there is an upstairs) and enjoyed a great view in the front row for the rest of the evening. They came out to "The End" by the Doors as far as I recall

TBMC is now the Button Factory I believe....although I've not been in Ireland for about a year so I wouldn't know fully...

joeclif wrote: »
    Yep, i was there, PURE class!
    One of the best live acts ever! Didn't a certain sunday rag try and prevent them coming?

I remember some idiot was throwing spit at blackie and he addressed the situation rather well!

whats the story behind this?? I wasnt out of nappys at that time:o

• Advertisement

Seen them play the TBMC in....2007 I think it was...and they were brilliant, got in the gig for free as I was doing a review for an online paper....they were originally supposed to be playing the Tripod but that got cancelled. Went upstairs in the TBMC (yeah, there is an upstairs) and enjoyed a great view in the front row for the rest of the evening. They came out to "The End" by the Doors as far as I recall

TBMC is now the Button Factory I believe....although I've not been in Ireland for about a year so I wouldn't know fully...

ye its the button factory, has been poisoned by indie hipsters:( i was there on valentines(the other halfs choice:rolleyes:) i almost cried when i saw the state of the place compared to the WASP gig. I mean blackie was on that stage....and now daddys little girl is puking there:pac:

do you have a link to your review?? they were handing out free tix at the door, you just say you won a radio competition on phantom fm. i wasnt impressed:(

hope they come back i do be always checking the myspace and website http://www.waspnation.com for gigs but they seem to be on hiatus:(

mike65 wrote: »
    I only have one WASP album - Headless Children. Which being on LP I havn't heard for years. Very good though - thier cover of the Whos The Real Me is better than the original as I remember it.

Ye thats a craker of a tune, they have a video for it too. That album is immense:D gwan give it a spin;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No turntable! (I may ahem 'get' a copy as I've already paid for it once!)

mike65 wrote: »
    No turntable! (I may ahem 'get' a copy as I've already paid for it once!)

ah crap:(

you can pick it up with the sting on a 2 album special for e10 in tower and HMV:D

have you heard electric circus?

Headless children is going really cheap nowadays, I got it and Electric Circus in a double cd pack for not much more than a fiver, definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Love the early stuff with Randy Piper on guitar.

KevLeppard wrote: »
    Love the early stuff with Randy Piper on guitar.

wasnt it johnny rod who they replaced him with and blackie went to rythm guitar? do you know why he left?

does anybody have pictures of them performing in ireland?? either the TBMC one or the ones in the top hat and the SFX??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Saw them live in the SFX when they were touring the electric circus.

Entertaining enough but I could really take em or leave em.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Been a huge Wasp fan for years.
    Crimson Idol has to be one of my favourite albums although not many people are mad in to it.
    Last Command has to be one of the best 80s metal albums ever--I dont think Ive ever taken it off the ipod.

Wasnt it over here that Blackie Ball-less Lawless ended up in hospital after the pyro in his crotch blew up backwards???

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Been a huge Wasp fan for years.
    Crimson Idol has to be one of my favourite albums although not many people are mad in to it.
    Last Command has to be one of the best 80s metal albums ever--I dont think Ive ever taken it off the ipod.

Wasnt it over here that Blackie Ball-less Lawless ended up in hospital after the pyro in his crotch blew up backwards???

I love Crimson Idol!! chainsaw charlie HAS to be played twice once i hear it:D....IM the president of showbiz my name is charlie, im a cocksucking asshole thats what they call me, :D quality lyric makes me think of louis walsh:pac:.

no way was it here that that happened?? or is it just a rumour?? if only there was a video of it!LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

hope they come back i do be always checking the myspace and website http://www.waspnation.com for gigs but they seem to be on hiatus:(

theyre not on hiatus, theyre playing Graspop in Begium in June and a few other festivals....but the official website is crap

Ill try and dig out the review I have somewhere

theyre not on hiatus, theyre playing Graspop in Begium in June and a few other festivals....but the official website is crap

Ill try and dig out the review I have somewhere

ah right!! pity they dont get rid of journey ad add them to def leppard and whitesnake:D...well one can wish!

ye that would be great if you could get the review!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

wasnt it johnny rod who they replaced him with and blackie went to rythm guitar? do you know why he left?

does anybody have pictures of them performing in ireland?? either the TBMC one or the ones in the top hat and the SFX??

Spot on, Johnny Rod joined on bass and Blackie started playing rhythm guitar again.

Randy Piper left to become Alice Coopers guitar player but Alice also took on another guitar player (cant think of his name), and Randy became relegated more and more to second lead guitar player so he left Alice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

whats the story behind this?? I wasnt out of nappys at that time:o

Ah.. i'm auld!:(

And yes johnny rod subsequently tried to burst our eardrums in the sfx.
    It was a bit of a matrix moment when he hit the low E and the walls flexed.

Apparently this was the cause of the structural damage that subsequently saw the demise of the place as a venue......

...maybe not....but it sure wasn't Mama's Boys!:eek:

joeclif wrote: »
    Ah.. i'm auld!:(

And yes johnny rod subsequently tried to burst our eardrums in the sfx.
    It was a bit of a matrix moment when he hit the low E and the walls flexed.

Apparently this was the cause of the structural damage that subsequently saw the demise of the place as a venue......

...maybe not....but it sure wasn't Mama's Boys!:eek:

god that place was a awful kip, i remember seeing a king lear play there in 6th year, little did i know the pure class that graced that stage:pac:

Advertisement