Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bully employer

Options
  • 06-03-2009 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short,
    I worked for a company for over 7 years in a senior roll, i worked hard,I did a very good job,I worked seven days a week sometimes, i built the company into what it is today (very very sucessful) my boss was always happy with my performance.
    However during my 7 years with the company i got constant bullying from my boss, mind games and often verbal abuse.
    It all built up inside me and in the end i had a bit of a melt down, which when explaind to employer that i was suffering from stress i got even more abuse and bullying and no offer of time off.
    In the end i had to quit, i couldnt work for 6 mounths, Im on medication and seing a counsellor.
    I have had no contact from my employer since my resignation letter.
    Over one year on it is still fresh in my mind, and still affecting me in a big way.
    My question is....
    What can i do about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You could have taken them to the labour relations court for constructive dismissal, but unfortunately you have to initiate this within 6 months of leaving the job.

So there is nothing you can do about it now, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭woolyhat

Hi I am sory to know you have been so hurt by your boss. I am replying because a friend fo mine had a very simelar situation to you. All was fine until her conditions at home changed (family needs) and wanted time off which she never asked for before.The situation got very nasty and went to court. Her boss won the case. What I would say to you . You sound like a brilliant person who was mistreated .Move on and put it behind you a bit like a broken relationship You still have all the skills and good qualaties . Onely learn from this clame your own time for yourself be a bit more careing of yourself. By the way it is his loss. Good Luck better things awate

Say this and have a laugh
    Good luck to him
    and a ball of moss
    He can keep his job
    He is no great loss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

bullied wrote: »
    Long story short,
    I worked for a company for over 7 years in a senior roll, i worked hard,I did a very good job,I worked seven days a week sometimes, i built the company into what it is today (very very sucessful) my boss was always happy with my performance.
    However during my 7 years with the company i got constant bullying from my boss, mind games and often verbal abuse.
    It all built up inside me and in the end i had a bit of a melt down, which when explaind to employer that i was suffering from stress i got even more abuse and bullying and no offer of time off.
    In the end i had to quit, i couldnt work for 6 mounths, Im on medication and seing a counsellor.
    I have had no contact from my employer since my resignation letter.
    Over one year on it is still fresh in my mind, and still affecting me in a big way.

My question is....
    What can i do about it?

I am sorry to hear this. The exact same situation happened to me. I brought the company from 600,000 to 3 million in 2 years I never got bonuses promised and I got the same line of abuse. I approched my boss each time and the shouting got louder, I warned him if it happened again he would get no notice and I would leave. I done that! left and the company closed 9 months later cause the customers would not deal with him

What I should have done was seeked the advice of a solicitor and maybe recorded the conversational abuse I received.

I am sorry you suffered I understand perfectly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Mother Ireland, the old sow who eats her farrow, hasn't changed.
    In the old days those without money and without land were without hope, making wealth for those with plenty already and shafted when they looked for their just entitlements.
    I too had to receive and still am receiving counselling and training on psychological coping skills after 14 years of hell in a very stressful and highly competitive working environment.
    I was offered and took voluntary redundancy from the company and haven't looked back since.
    In future keep your reward horizons short and look for cash on the barrel head for all work done. Get everything in writing and all promises on paper and witnessed. If shouting starts start writing down and repeating what is said in a calm voice. If necessary insist on all meetings with "Alpha Male" bosses being held in public with a witness in place. This tends to calm things down. Read upon and research your rights and entitlements under the law and insist on a written contract, all taxes paid and all wages paid on time.
    You cannot change the past and dwelling on it in anger will eat you up inside. Only you can learn to forgive and move on with your life and only you can know the right time for this to happen.
    People have in the good times thrown themselves wholeheartedly into their work but now find themselves dispensible like a used tissue thrown away without a care. Lucky ones like me get a lump sum which can be use to retrain and be ready for a new start. Any future job you get treat it as a job, not your life so that it loss will not be as painful. This is the second time I hav had to leave a job and the second time,being voluntary from a place where I had few but good friends. wasn't half as painful as the first where I had many good friends.

Advertisement