Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

India Gate - Ballina

• 06-03-2009 3:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

Anyone try this place out yet? ....seen it opened couple of weeks now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Yes have tried a takeaway twice from it now and its nice. This was the former Prince Indian - I posted about that before.

When I was in the other evening I asked the guy how things were and he said they were doing ok with the takeaway business but very few people coming into the restaurant to eat except maybe at weekends.

The same crowd have another restaurant in Enniscrone. They are nice lads I hope it works out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Where is it?

Garden Street Ballina. Its just down from Shaws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 theimrankhan

this restaurant have got a website now to check out there prices and menu

www.indiagaterestaurant.com

Sad to report this indian has closed down. Just noticed this tonight while I was up town. This is the second indian restaurant that set up in this particular premises that has gone out of business. The rents must be very high. It never seemed to take off as a restaurant but did ok on the takeaways. A pity as the food was very nice.
    Ballina seems to be in bother. An awful lot of places seems to be closing or on the verge of closing. I have never seen so many sales on in shops. What a pity Argos did not open here it would have brought a lot of business into the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

The town council are responsible for a lot of poor decisions over the years, that added to poor national representation has meant Ballina has fallen so far behind Castlebar and Westport.
    IMO the town has so much potential, the layout of the town is great, the river area is really nice. With some clever planning and some more open thinking from the council the town can come out of the recession much improved.

I also feel the chamber of commerce needs to do a lot more. New business is badly needed in the town or some type of new industry that will create employment. The dole office is near where I live and its very sad to see the queues at it now. I have been living here for almost 7 years and never saw them as bad.
    I knew the guy who ran the India Gate a lovely fella and I also knew the other two guys who were there before him. I think the rents have a lot to do with business shutting. They are far too high. Between paying these rents and then trying to keep staff in employment its not easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Hi, I think the Everest Indian is a lot better.

Yes the Everest Indian is quite nice. That place changed hands too lately when Everest took over and their food is a lot better than what was there before.

steph1 wrote: »
    I also feel the chamber of commerce needs to do a lot more. New business is badly needed in the town or some type of new industry that will create employment. The dole office is near where I live and its very sad to see the queues at it now. I have been living here for almost 7 years and never saw them as bad.

Yes, its quite frightening, but it will pass, and hopefully won't be the last recession we all experience :pac:

For the ..... the one and only JORDANS is the best Indian in Ballina !!!

• Advertisement

I actually must try the indian in Jordans. Somebody else said that to me a while ago that it is nice.

I actually must try the indian in Jordans. Somebody else said that to me a while ago that it is nice.

I would recommend Madras~Korma~Tikka in that order :)

I'm a bit partial to the chicken jalfrezi - nice and spicy and not mad hot.
    God pity its the time it is I'm getting hungry just thinkin of it :D

The guy who had the India Gate has now opened up again across from the Town Council offices its called Tenors curry and grill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

Have you tried Tenors curry and grill? Is it nice?

Haven't tried it as yet but will do so soon. Hope the guy has the same chef he had in the India Gate.

Tried Jordans there a few weeks ago it was nice too. Its a very difficult time for restaurants here at the moment. Was talking to the guy who owns the Everest and he seems to be doing ok and he does very well with his takeaway menu. Seeing that staying in is the new going out most people get a takeaway and a bottle of wine or beer and this seems to be the trend now. Very few people actually going out for a meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

It does seem to be, I only spend a night or two in Ballina per week and I find it very quiet when I do venture out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Haven't tried it as yet but will do so soon. Hope the guy has the same chef he had in the India Gate.

Ya, same owners , was talking to them recently ...just downsized, better location I think, wise move.

Advertisement