Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messrs Maguire

Options
  • 06-03-2009 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Im meeting a few friends there today after work today, and its been a while since I was there. Whats there selection of own-brewed beers like now? Is there a big selection? Ive only ever tried their Rusty Ale which i was fairly impressed with at the time.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It varies. If the Porter's still there, grab it. MM Plain is probably the best of the regulars, and the Weiss is passable.

Do let us know what's currently on. And be prepared for the abject indifference the staff show for the pub's handmade beers over the chemical rubbish with the light-up taps further along the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Last time I was there (about a month ago) they had their Weiss, Rusty and Porter on and that was it.
    Didnt care much for their rusty but their porter is very nice.
    Hopefully it's still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

Do they have any kind of selection of decent bottled beers? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Nope. Standard pub fare. I don't think they even sold the bottled MM beers when they existed.

The pub and brewery are really two separate businesses who don't seem to like having to work with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I vaguely remember seeing a Paulaner tap amongst all the other regular pub beers but thats about it from what I remember!!!

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    I vaguely remember seeing a Paulaner tap amongst all the other regular pub beers
    I think Paulaner counts as a regular pub beer these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

I see what you mean about their own beers tucked away in the corner. I tried the plain stout after a few Rusty Ales but I dont think it was the right time to try it. It was a little haevy after the ales. Tried Galway Hooker for the first time on Saturday night in the Bull & Castle. Absolutely beautiful!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I had their porter last time I was in there and loved it. Have to say its a top pub too, havent been in there in the last 6 months but before that we wouldnt go anywhere else for a few quite pints in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

I was in there a few days ago, and thought the prices were through the roof. €5.20 for a pint of Guinness and €6.80 for WKD. Their porter was drinkable to put it mildly and this was a normal Saturday night. I was very unimpressed:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Peter

Peadar06 wrote: »
    €5.20 for a pint of Guinness and €6.80 for WKD.
    Great! Can the Guinness and WKD drinkers go somewhere else for better value and leave the rest of us with our €4 pints of Plain?

• Advertisement
Advertisement