Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another new trailer

• 06-03-2009 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

"James T Kirk was a great man, but that was another life" :pac:

I dont know if this is Star Trek or not but this trailer (and the last one) look quite good to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

That's a pretty awesome trailer. Lot's of whizz-bang to get your typical movie-goer hooked in. Hopefully tho, there'll be some of that old Trek character interaction.

Music is great too - havent heard it anywhere else before, so maybe its indicative of the actual score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

I'm trying to train myself to stop being a super-nerd thinking 'that's not cannon' when I watch this. Looks fantastic. Still can't figure out how Kirk is allowed take command of the ship from what I've heard so far but can't wait to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Wait a second! Kirk was meant to be a straight arrow in his youth. It looks very good and hopefully will totally revitalize trek, which is badly needs. Despite Trek being way better than any sci fi show ever by a long mile it became very bland and exhausted in the latter years. The 150 million budget helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

I'm sold anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Wait a second! Kirk was meant to be a straight arrow in his youth.

"James T Kirk was a great man, but that was another life"
    Presumeably they really are going with this movie being an alternative timeline which allows them to both reboot the "franchise" (I hate that word) and keep old farts like me on board.
    ****! I really hope this movie lives up to the trailer! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

the HD trailer is on apple.com - some great looking alien chsracters can be seen

never mind all this 'alternate timelime' malarky - Trek is reborn :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

not sure about the macguffin.... atleast its not whales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Trailer is a little too action packed for my Trek loving taste, tbh.

Take out the Trek and it does look exciting though.

Just hope there's a bit more to it than silly "exciting" nonsense.

Trailer is geared towards the masses / i.e to get the big bucks into the seats.

I'm sure (*fingers crossed*) there'll be some Treking involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Here's why, IMHO, this film will rule:

JJ Abrams: smart guy. Seems to love what he does, puts his heart into it. Great mind for sfx but also keeps things intelligent.

Kevin Smith: dude is king of the nerds and would probably be first out the gate to slate a bad reboot of such an epic saga. Instead, he practically serenaded the thing, highlighting Chris Pine as a major newcomer.

Spielberg and Cameron were on-set and apparently very excited by what they saw. Pause. Read that sentence again. Yeah!

Big bidget: doesn't guarantee a good film. However it's a major step up from the relatively low budgets of the other ten. 150 million tribbles. Nice.

Eric Bana: Never once saw him take a role that was superficial. Even Hulk was deeply thought out. Tend to think he jumped on board because of what he saw in the script.

Finally, watch that trailer, and tell me it doesn't have a brilliant dynamic team vibe that was sorely missing from the last few films???

The whole denouncing it because it's aiming for excitement: I don't see it as pandering to the masses. I see it as exploiting the wasted opportunity of The Final Frontier: dangerous place, space.

I have good feelings. I hope Bana's Nero reached Khan-like awesomeness. The tattoos say he's a hard nut. I say excellent. Shinzon can eat my fist.

• Advertisement

must not get excited and raise own expectations...

Just saw it in Quicktime HD. Dear Jeebus. It's amazing looking.

Anyone know where I can download a 720p or even, dare I say it, 1080p of the trailer? Thanks

Just saw it in Quicktime HD. Dear Jeebus. It's amazing looking.

Anyone know where I can download a 720p or even, dare I say it, 1080p of the trailer? Thanks

you can get trailer for keeps in iTunes.
    go to the movie section of the united states store. scroll down the leftside column for theatrical trailers. no login required and they are free.:cool:

Is the trailer theme actually from the new movie?

Is the trailer theme actually from the new movie?

no - it's called 'freedom fighters' [ Trailer 2 features the custom score 'Down With The Enterprise' ]

its from this company http://www.twostepsfromhell.com/index-home.php

they do music for movie advertising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I'm not going to look
    I'm not going to look
    I'm not going to look
    I'm not going to look
    I'm not going to look
    I'm not going to look

I will not look at another trailer, untill I see the movie in its cinema yumminess

Super Shiney!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Going on the trailers I've seen so far, this film is going to be terrible. This will probably be the last Star Trek film ever.

I'd say this will probably be like the last Indiana Jones film, everyone really excited at the start of the film (cheering at the titles etc) and then at the end, shocked that the film was so bad and getting out of the cinema as quickly as possible.

J.J. Abrams was a very bad choice to direct the film and Paramount have destroyed their whole Star Trek business (hate using the word franchise in relation to TV shows).

The last time they went back to the beginning (Enterprise :o) they made a complete mess of things

jahalpin wrote: »
    Going on the trailers I've seen so far, this film is going to be terrible. This will probably be the last Star Trek film ever.

I'd say this will probably be like the last Indiana Jones film, everyone really excited at the start of the film (cheering at the titles etc) and then at the end, shocked that the film was so bad and getting out of the cinema as quickly as possible.

J.J. Abrams was a very bad choice to direct the film and Paramount have destroyed their whole Star Trek business (hate using the word franchise in relation to TV shows).

The last time they went back to the beginning (Enterprise :o) they made a complete mess of things

I respectfully disagree. You're very much right about Enterprise, but it wasn't just down to the frankly stupid idea of doing a prequel series (what were they thinking???). It was down to the fact that they stuck the same, tired old formula and just rebranded it. Lazily.

This new film has injected a new lease of life into the whole saga and has generated alot of deserved interest, especially from non-Trekkers. Despite the naysayer's derision of its "destiny" theme, I think it will really pull in new fans with the top-end visuals and new, exciting cast. What they've done is taken the old look of the show, updated it to modern aesthetic and technology, PLUS, and this is important, given it a whole new timeline, whole new feel.

The best thing about it is that they've kept Old Spock. Now from a cynic's point of view that was merely to appease the old fans. Maybe. Maybe not. Who cares? It simply says that the old films did happen, they're not being rebooted in the ordinary, forget-what-you-saw, this-is-BETTER kind of way. They're just being added to. The saga continues.

I have high hopes, and I think I'll be very happy with the final film.

• Advertisement

destroying it was berman's job. he left it battered and comatosed. abrams is the surgeon who will wake it.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Yeah because going back to the beginning has really damaged Bond and Batman

PS
    Rebooting Battle Star did not seem to hurt that either

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Can you explain your reasoning for this statement...what do you not like about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Can you explain your reasoning for this statement...what do you not like about it?

The acting that can be seen in the trailer is terrible. The actor that plays Kirk is especially bad.

The bridge looks as if it has been designed by Apple.

The whole story sounds a bit crap, a trainee being made Captain with no actual experience.

JJ Abrams should probably stick to making terrible hour-long weekly shows (ie Lost) with terrible stories and stay out of Star Trek.

The acting that can be seen in the trailer is terrible. The actor that plays Kirk is especially bad.

The bridge looks as if it has been designed by Apple.

The whole story sounds a bit crap, a trainee being made Captain with no actual experience.

JJ Abrams should probably stick to making terrible hour-long weekly shows (ie Lost) with terrible stories and stay out of Star Trek.

nobody can judge the quality of any actor from a trailer.

yes the bridge does look like it's designed by Apple.. which is why it's so cool

we don't know what the story is, we only know the rumours. nothing in this trailer states that any of them are inexperienced. for all we know the story takes places over a number of years [in fact Chekov's presence makes that quite likely based on the 'casting calls' [I think that's what they're called]

As for your last comment, well if you think that... so what?? Your loss.

Cheer up and think positive. Or join aicn.com...

New TV spot which looks purty: http://downloads.paramount.com/mp/startrek/tv_3/ST_tvspot3_experience_720p.mov

Has anyone read the prequel TNG-era comic yet? It's supposed to be pretty decent.

..The whole story sounds a bit crap, a trainee being made Captain with no actual experience...

Fair point actually.

that could be a good thing though, like Flash Gordon was just a football quarterback before becoming king of the impossible and savior of the universe

Advertisement