Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam? Children to Lapland Appeal - Atlantic Media

Options
  • 06-03-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I like to think I'm usually savvy enough to spot a scam but I think I fell for one. At least I think it's a scam.

Mark from Atlantic Media rang me late last year asking if I'd be interested in advertising on a wall planner. All proceeds going to Children to Lapland appeal and the wall planner was to be freely distributed to 10,000 businesses around the county (Galway).

I had several doubts - (1) It didn't sound finanically viable for the charity. 20 advertisers at approx €150 each = €3000. Subtract 10,000 wall planners and it didn't leave much profit. (2) How come the post that I was receiving from Atlantic Media had UK postage when Atlantic Media were supposedly in Herbert Hall in Dublin? (3) Why wouldn't a media company have a website etc etc

After several requests in Nov-Dec for my €150 payment I emailed to say I'd changed my mind and to cancel my advert.

Mark rang to say that if I had doubts regarding the integrity of the appeal that I should contact any of the people listed here http://www.childrentolaplandappeal.ie/

I did contact one of the people listed and I received verification that Mark from Atlantic Media were raising funds for their appeal.

I googled Atlantic Media's name & address, http://www.childrentolaplandappeal.ie/ and any other details I could find to determine whether it was a scam or not. I didn't find any.

Anyhow, I paid the €150 and the cheque cleared this week. I received my wall planner (UK postage) this week and there are adverts on it that are considerably bigger than mine which implies some advertisers paid more than €150. This either makes it more financially viable for the charity or means they've been duped out of larger amounts of cash.

If this Children to Lapland website and Atlantic Media are a scam then I would like to alert it to some authority and have it placed on some directory similar to http://www.hoax-slayer.com where it can be used as a warning to others. Most importantly if this is a scam then the http://www.childrentolaplandappeal.ie/ should be removed as it looks authentic and is what convinced me to pay up.

So, is this a legitimate charity appeal or was that the most expensive wall planner I've ever purchased? If so, who do I report it to?

Here are details I have:
    Mark at Atlantic Media
    Email info@atlantic-media.eu
    Tel 01 619 0207
    Fax 01 619 0210
    Dubline Office Centre
    Suite 9, Herbert Halll, 16 Herbert Street, Dublin 2

Thanking you in advance for any words of advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Well, just some more particulars I found out on searching.

They are registered to receive charity tax exemption in Ireland (There's no such thing as a "registered charity", that's a misnomer commonly used). The fact that they are entitled to this relief means they will have met certain standards. their number is 14666. You can search on www.revenue.ie to get a list alphabetically or by number of all companies/organisations entitled to this benefit in Ireland.

The domain (http://www.childrentolaplandappeal.ie/) is registered to Children To Lapland Appeal Ltd, so that's also legit.

They are a registered company in Ireland (CRO number: 341140)

Here's a news report about fundraising activity on their part (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/07/16/story268008.html). There are lots of links with different groups of people participating in different fundraising activities. If it was fake, I wouldn't expect their to be links or any sort of associations with celebrities.

All looks above board to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

They cold called me the other day still have the number (016955702020) and claimed to have gotten my number off my website(I don't have 1 nor do I have my number on any website) and went through all what they do and when I said I wasn't interested they just hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CandidSoul

Thanks for the replies!

Kila - thank you for your researched and informative response. I rely too much on generic 'googling' and it didn't occur to me to check out revenue.ie. I appreciate your feedback very much and am pleased to hear that my contribution went to a good cause. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Chatterman

Hi Candid soul. I have been approached to advertise for €300. I was about to pay and have just found the following out.
    Atlantic-media.eu is registered to a person called Andrew Lownsbrough.
    http://www.eurid.eu/en/content/whois-result

I search his name on the web and found loads of sites refering to other companies run by someone by the same name. This particulatr Andrew Lownsbrough has run companies involved in raising money for charities. The catch being that some of these charities received as little as 5p in every £1 raised. One such company is called Vardis. It would appear that charites have entered into arrangements and come out of the arrangement the poorer of the two parties.

http://www.blagger.com/db4/company_id/4739/companyname/Vardis.html
    http://www.caricatures-ireland.com/blog/category/vardis/

I was told that they would distribute 35,000 wall charts across Dublin, but I don't know anyone who has received one except for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

this joged my memory to that show rte had on consurmer issues some months back and chased down a character like that guy, might be that same guy they tracked down to liverpool. If it is avoid at all costs.

Edit : Put that Andrew guys name into google ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Chatterman

This guy is based in Ormskirk in Lancashire, which is outside liverpool. Do you remeber what RTE show it was on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Chatterman wrote: »
    This guy is based in Ormskirk in Lancashire, which is outside liverpool. Do you remeber what RTE show it was on?

it was called ''Buyer Beware''

[edit: i'm a bit hazy cause I've been googling so much but that programme was investigating a company making similar calls that the OP was getting - they were calling themselves Community Concepts. As far as I can tell - but I could be wrong - Community Concepts is related to Crown Debt Recovery which is related to Vardis, which is related to the Andrew Lownsbrough mentioned above.]

[edit - wow this is interesting stuff - i love it]

ANDREW LOWNSBROUGH

Companies: Vardis GB was liquidate d last year but now runs Vardis, an unincorporated business.

Lifestyle: Drives an £80K BMW, lives outside Ormskirk, Lancs, in a detached house worth over £400,000. Currently selling another property in the town for more than £200,000

He was calling his previous publishing company Sapphire Media. Actually there's so many different companies linked to this guy he must find it hard to remember which is which:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 danstarter

I just got a call from a guy called Keven Richardson on this number. He confirmed my name, told me his, and then I asked him who he was and he just hung up.

I had missed a call from this number about 3/4 weeks ago too.
    He asked me my fake name that I use on site that I dont want them to know my details, not sure how he got my number though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i have no idea on the legalities of how you would report this guy but i would STRONGLY urge anyone who receives a call from anyone reporting to be from Atlantic-Media NOT to give them any money - just log the time and details of the call. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

So what do you think now on this, any updates? Got caught out in January when they rang and agreed to put an add in the calender (they told me I would be helping kids etc) I have the invoice here but I'm not sure what to do now after reading the above I would rather give €195 to charity if I knew they would get the most of it I dont want to be furnishing some guys rich lifestyle.

I got a call there yesterday from some English bloke regarding the outstanding invoice no phone number showed up for the call, so I have my douts about this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭schqually

I just got a call now from Kevin - I heard him out for a minute and once he mentioned the Sasco wall planners, alarm bells went off. I was remembering reading this thread from before.
    Thank you all for posting your views previously.
    The number he called from was:
    I also found this number on a list of "suspicious" phone numbers at the following page:
    http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Calls.aspx/353

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Just on the Children to lapland appeal side. Didn't the company that ran the travel part of it loose their licence to trade?
    the postal address on their website is the same as United Travel that had to cancel their lapland flights last christmas?

Whats happens to the funds if the charity closes? Or is it a separate thing altogether?

*I trying to find a link for the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PBH@RTE

I think that I may be able to shed some light on Atlantic Media and its business Operations. The man who runs it was the subject of an investigation by the RTE investigative consumer affairs programme Buyer Beware last November. At that time Atlantic Media was called Vardis or Sapphire Media and the charities they claimed they were collecting on behalf of were Crumlin Children's Hospital and a north of England based kids cancer charity.

Anybody who has been approached by Atlantic Media can contact me in RTE for further information. My e-mail is pbh@rte.ie. or you can call direct on 01 2082353

Philip Boucher-Hayes
    Reporter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 craigmoss

Hi if anyone has any more information on this or any other problems they have been subjected to please email me some information to craig.moss@rocketmail.com as I am a freelance journalist compiling a self help guide for businesses in Ireland to avoid being ripped off.Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gweedore man

i had a 5 minute conversation on phone last month .was quoted 190euros first but dropped to 145 when i hesitated.recieved invoice today demanding payment.needless to say i wont be paying was suspicious from day one

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

This is being covered right now by Philip Boucher-Hayes on Pat Kenny's radio show on RTE Radio 1. Well done, Philip!

You'll be able to listen back to the show from later today or tomorrow I'd imagine, at http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

mambo wrote: »
    This is being covered right now by Philip Boucher-Hayes on Pat Kenny's radio show on RTE Radio 1. Well done, Philip!

You'll be able to listen back to the show from later today or tomorrow I'd imagine, at http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/

According to the show, The Forrester Fund for Children were linked to Atlantic Media, but they denied this as did Andrew Lownsborough of Atlantic Media.

However Vardis (formerly Vardis GB, dissolved in 2003), which is also linked with Andrew Lownsborough (or Andrew David Rosler according to UK Companies House liquidation records, http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/7ee00ced07276ac0e86fc4aaf176d058/practdetails?casenumb=1&casetype=VOL.%20LIQUIDATION%20CREDITORS) has links with The Forrester Fund for Children and vice versa:

http://www.vardis.co.uk/clients.html
    http://www.fffc.org.uk/vardis_supp.htm

Someone with an id of goytre on blagger.com supposedly representing TFFFC threatens:

"As far as the Foresters' relationship with Vardis is concerned, it should be noted that Vardis is an independent BUSINESS and therefore must operate as they see fit, within the law. " AND "Now, if the previous correspondent has evidence to the contrary, let them make it known now, or publish a retraction and apology to the Trustees of The Foresters Fund."

http://www.blagger.com/scripts/comments.php?id=30699

Maybe TFFFC is part of this criminal publishing fraud network also. It certainly looks like they either are part of the scam or they do not care what Vardis/Atlantic Media/...etc are up to.

It seems the main scam in the UK is to cold call for publishing an ad associated with a "known" charity, then confirm the order in writing, but without victims written consent and even if the order was not taken, then invoice, then threaten debt collection (who also are not registered to collect).

Seems like this is becoming the new scam of today and NW England is the new Nigeria of today:

This link is better than the rest even though it is from the Daily Mirror:

"Figures just released by the Insolvency Service show that 60 rogue publishing companies which claimed to publish "good cause" booklets have been shut down by the courts since 2000. The Insolvency Service says it is second only to VAT fraud as the biggest scam operating out of the North West."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/archive/investigates/2008/04/24/charity-publishers-fleece-generous-advertisers-115875-20392923/

What to do? Get any names, numbers, addresses or any other details and forward them to the UK Insolvency Service's - Companies Investigation Branch.

"The Role of CIB
    One of BERR’s objectives is to “Deliver free and fair markets …ensuring markets work to the benefit of business, investors, employees and consumers, and for law enforcement to deter fraud”. This includes dealing with misconduct or unscrupulous practices, whether or not this amounts to fraud."

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/cib/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kieran3

PBH, Well done on your report this morning. Was very good and I hope it prevents more people from getting caught out. I hope RTE keep this in the media as it's a horrible experience for anyone to go through

I was contacted by Vardis last year. I told them to send out the details and that I'd think about it.
    They sent it out with an Invoice for e463.13. They then continued to harass me on the phone for weeks saying that I did agree and that I'd have to pay them. I emailed them and told them to stop contacting me but they didn't they kept ringing and sending me out Default notices.

Final straw was when I was sitting on the beach in Brittas last summer and they contacted me. I gave them an earful on the phone, much to the amusement of people around me! I lost it!
    Anyway I contacted my friend (Solicitor) and he sent them a letter and I never heard back.

If any of you received an invoice from them don't pay it.
    A solicitors letter should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

Just checked the details of The Forester Fund for Children, who PBH had recorded response on the show saying they have nothing to do with Atlantic Media.

On the UK Charity Commission website (http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/ShowCharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithoutPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=327449&SubsidiaryNumber=0) TFFFC are registered and according to their filed accounts, Vardis is their main source of income for year ended 2008 and Vardis GB (dissolved, also known as Ideal Coporate Solutions Ltd) was the main source of all their income for every year before that. Both companies associated with Andrew Lownsbrough (or Andrew David Rosler), and many other variations of names seem to be associated with this indiviual.

1. Vardis GB Ltd (the company paying money to The Foresters Fund for Children) placed itself in voluntary liquidation in September 2003. Its Director was Andrew David Rosler (or Andrew Lownsbrough). Now Vardis non-incorporated does the same and is run by the same person.

2. Crown Debt Recovery was also owned by Andrew Charles Lownsbrough and is not licensed to collect debt. Dissolved in 2006.

3. Andrew Charles Lownsbrough was the Director of Sapphire Media (a company operating from Deansgate) which was closed down by the DTI.

4. Andrew Charles Lownsbrough was the Director of Brough & Kudos Developments Limited dissolved August 2008.

5. Atlantic Media is associated with Andrew Charles Lownsbrough.

I would hazard a guess that none of these are this guy's real names, and a further guess, The Forester Fund for Children is just one front for his dodgy scams.

According to all of TFFFC's accounts almost all of their grants are less than £1000 and account for the bulk of their outgoing charity donations. In other words there is no way to say where the money they recieve (£100k since 2004 from Andrew Lownsbrough's Vardis GB and now Vardis) ends up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 globulin777

Query
    What is going on between Atlantic Media and Children to Lapland.
    I received an invoice from Atlantic Media and haven't paid it as Children to lapland have discontinued their association and the vibes I got were pretty bad, anyone know anything about this. I spoke to both organisations by phone and both were contradicting the other..... are Atlantic Media legit ???

Just read some posts... seems not, but who is enforcing the law here if these guys can send me an invoice right now, and they are still in operation.
    I rang Atlantic Media on 01 6190210 and spoke to someone calling himself Mark Howard. He was talking S**te and was a complete BS artist who has obviously had lots of practise..... Just how are they still in operation if they are shiesters ??????? Who else is getting stung as I write this post:confused:. I donated the invoice amount directly to the Children to Lapland organisation but I am still highly annoyed to think I could have been ripped off in the name of sick children, when it is known where these guys are operating from and their M.O. Arrrrrgghh.......................:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

there was a huge thread on the very subject, which im too lazy to search for the short answer is they are 100% ilegit. Bin the invoice and dont take or make calls to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sidecar

Lads,

My advice is steer clear from the lapland crowd.

Sure one of the directors John "Con" Murphy (ironically he actually uses the name Con!) is one half of the nusband and wife team that brought you United Travel (who you will remember from the media last year bring you no where!), Nobel Tours, Manorhealth, Manorcastle, and several other "interesting" front companies.

Apart from United Travel losing their tour operators licence, theres a heap of curent and previous court actions againct this guy.

Beware............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 norton

ATLANTIC MEDIA AND VARDIS ARE BOTH OWNED BY ANDREW LOWNSBOROUGH.ATLANTIC MEDIA HAVE AN ADDRESS IN DUBLIN AND A DUBLIN TELEPHONE NUMBER BUT BOTH HAVE A DIVERT AND ARE REDIRECTED TO THE OFFICE OF VARDIS IN ORMSKIRK IN ENGLAND.
    THE REASON FOR THIS IS THAT THEY TELL ADVERTISERS THEY ARE A LOCAL FIRM . LOWNSBOROUGH LIQUADATED VARDIS OWING SEVENTY THOUSAND POUNDS AND SET UP HIS NEW COMPANY TO AVOID PAYING HIS CREDITORS.
    IF YOU GET A CALL OR RECIEVE ANY PAPERWORK FROM ATLANTIC MEDIA I SUGGEST THAT YOU LOOK UP ANDREW LOWNSBOROUGH AND VARDIS ON THE INTERNET .

ATLANTIC MEDIA AND VARDIS ARE BOTH OWNED BY ANDREW LOWNSBOROUGH.ATLANTIC MEDIA HAVE AN ADDRESS IN DUBLIN AND AN IRISH TELEPHONE NUMBER BUT BOTH ARE DIVERTED TO ORMSKIRK IN ENGLAND.THIS IS SO ADVERTISERS ARE CONNED INTO BELIEVING THAT THEY ARE DEALING WITH A LOCAL FIRM.THE SALES AND INVOICING AND COLLECTING OF MONEY ARE ALL DONE FROM THE OFFICE OF VARDIS IN ENGLAND.LOWNSBOROUGH LIQUIDATED VARDIS UK AND VARDIS GB FOR OVER ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS IN ORDER TO AVOID PAYING HIS CREDITORS.IF YOU GET A CALL OR ANY PAPERWORK FROM ATLANTIC MEDIA I SUGGEST THAT YOU ENTER ANDREW LOWNSBOROUGH SCAM ARTIST OR VARDIS SCAM INTO GOOGLE.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

norton, learn to turn off your caps lock..it makes your ramblings hard to read

Can you tell me where my last entry on your site has gone to please.

Thanks.

Can you print the telephone number for Philip Boucher Hayes as I have new information regarding the above.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

norton wrote: »
    Can you print the telephone number for Philip Boucher Hayes as I have new information regarding the above.

Thanks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59759666&postcount=14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Philip's been on the radio in the last few days trailing a new series of Buyer Beware, so the timing could be good.

Advertisement