Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam? Children to Lapland Appeal - Atlantic Media

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

The Children to Lapland Appeal have been handing out very glossy-looking brochures recently. Very expensive for a charity.

So I did a bit of digging, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

In a radio interview, Garda Sgt Liam Sheehan in Limerick said, "Since the 14th October, all authorisations have been withdrawn ..."

According to Sgt Sheehan, if you see anyone collecting for the charity after that date, "it's a scam, you're being conned".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

So whats the story with this? children to lapland is a scam? Are kids actually being sent to Lapland with money raised at all or is the money just pocketed? I am very interested in hearing more about this.

Recently my husband took part in a big gig for the children to lapland appeal. His band along with 4 others played for free to raise money, they were even interviews on Ireland am in relation to it, I'd be very interested to see if his promoter was scammed by the whole thing. Myself and a few family members went along and even though we dont usually have to pay the cover charge for his band we all forked out €20 each to go in considering the 'cause'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nahboisk

Hi,

Ive just finished watching a show on RTE 1 called buyer beware. It was again about this man and atlantic media and his scams. Hes now located about 8 miles from where he was. Look up rte iplayer and watch the show think its only available for about 3 weeks from today.

I think its disgracefull that he is allowed to get away with this. Not only is he taking money from small buisness that may need the publicity but he is using legitimate charities to do it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,714 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So whats the story with this? children to lapland is a scam? Are kids actually being sent to Lapland with money raised at all or is the money just pocketed? I am very interested in hearing more about this.

Recently my husband took part in a big gig for the children to lapland appeal. His band along with 4 others played for free to raise money, they were even interviews on Ireland am in relation to it, I'd be very interested to see if his promoter was scammed by the whole thing. Myself and a few family members went along and even though we dont usually have to pay the cover charge for his band we all forked out €20 each to go in considering the 'cause'.

The children for lapland charity itself is fine, they were also taken advantage of in relation to these wall planners so the conmen had a hook to pull in business's with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

nahboisk wrote: »
    Hi,

Ive just finished watching a show on RTE 1 called buyer beware. It was again about this man and atlantic media and his scams. Hes now located about 8 miles from where he was. Look up rte iplayer and watch the show think its only available for about 3 weeks from today.

I think its disgracefull that he is allowed to get away with this. Not only is he taking money from small buisness that may need the publicity but he is using legitimate charities to do it!!

Link? It's not up on RTE player right now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hi, ive read a lot of you had concerns over the chilidren to lapland appeal,

well i have a 10 year old diabetic daughter (she had diabetes 3 years) who in august this year lost her grandad and 4 days later she was rushed in to hospital by ambulance going into diabetic ketoacidosis (diabetic coma) all her veins collapsed and it took ages to get 4 lines in to rehydrate her and put in insulin drip and a saline drip. the diabetic ketoacidosis was cause by a mere tummy bug THAT COULD HAVE KILLED HER.

last week we received a phone call to tell us she had been nominated by the hosptal to go to switzerland this is being funded by the children to lapland appeal. but insted of going to lapland this year they are spending 4 days in switzerland and going to the top of europe to see santa. this has truly made her year and she is over the moon. in 5 days time myself and my daughter will be travelling to grindelwald, switzerland.

thanks to all that supported the appeal, i know only too well that some things are bogus, and some may take advantage of others good nature but this is too let you know you have made one 10 year old very very happy. her diabetes dictates her life and the style in which she lives her life, her day to day dicisions can cost her, her life - kidney failure - blindness - heart disease - amputation and death.

Hi, ive read a lot of you had concerns over the chilidren to lapland appeal,

well i have a 10 year old diabetic daughter (she had diabetes 3 years) who in august this year lost her grandad and 4 days later she was rushed in to hospital by ambulance going into diabetic ketoacidosis (diabetic coma) all her veins collapsed and it took ages to get 4 lines in to rehydrate her and put in insulin drip and a saline drip. the diabetic ketoacidosis was cause by a mere tummy bug THAT COULD HAVE KILLED HER.

last week we received a phone call to tell us she had been nominated by the hosptal to go to switzerland this is being funded by the children to lapland appeal. but insted of going to lapland this year they are spending 4 days in switzerland and going to the top of europe to see santa. this has truly made her year and she is over the moon. in 5 days time myself and my daughter will be travelling to grindelwald, switzerland.

thanks to all that supported the appeal, i know only too well that some things are bogus, and some may take advantage of others good nature but this is too let you know you have made one 10 year old very very happy. her diabetes dictates her life and the style in which she lives her life, her day to day dicisions can cost her, her life - kidney failure - blindness - heart disease - amputation and death.

Thats great news on teh trip, I hope your daughter recoverss. My husband found out that his fundraiser was organised with the appeal directly so their hardwork wasnt in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Just back from switzerland, the kids had a great time. around 36 kids went in this trip and loads went the week before. The children had a number of different conditions but all enjoyed the trip. A once in a lifetime experience. There was never a sad face. there were aprox 7 diabetics, about 7 also that had chemo 3 with downs syndrome, 2 with CF. 1 with C.H.A.R.G.E, and many more conditons.

I would like to thank all that supported and organised and help in any way for there part in making our many children happy.

Thank you!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement