Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game cheaper than Steam?

Options
  • 06-03-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So I was in Game yesterday and was about to pick up Dawn of War 2 for 30 bucks when I noticed on the back that you had to register with Steam before playing it. Ah-ha, thought I, it'll be cheaper on Steam, screw you, Game. So I go home, log on, and there it is, 50 bucks. WTF?

Have I fallen into an alternative dimension where Game actually care about value for money and whatnot or do Valve make so much money, they simply could not give a XXXX? Plus I get a box in Game!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i know! i was shocked to see that too, i suppose its probably sopmething to do with the exchange rate with game being english and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Someone else mentioned that GAMEs price on Dawn of War was to comepte with Smyths i think.

STEAM will always be dearer.

I think they have a counter...that probably rings out in their office with a "LOL" everytime someone buys a game from their system, theyre just laughin at how they manage to keep reelin us in :P ...me included...suckas

"Lol, lol,lol,lol,lol,lol,lol,lol,lol,lol' all day long in the steam office !!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i feel your pain m8. I went to game and sow there DoW 2 limited edition for same 30eu. i whanted to grab it, but was all sold out :(.

And yes.... steam 50eu with no box, shop 30eu plus box... and they bouth hook up on steam....

Lads... your steam thing was great idea when prices were actually lower then retail shop prices.... But now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I never buy stuff from steam now, I only use it.

Either use www.g2play.net for keys or retail game stores like Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

pffft Game have only started offering cheap games because of the recession, they HAVE to sell them cheap what their worth otherwise their ****ed.

Prior to the recession they would have been selling the game for about 59.99, they are ****. I always saw them charge an additional 10 more on opening week for whichever big selling game it was and then dropped it down by 10 after a week. So i seen games going for like 69.99 and then a week later 59.99.

Needless to say they were ripping off their regulars, i havent bought in game since early PS2.

Fook game, HMV FTW

I've only bought 2 games from steam, one over priced. And i only bought it as no stores had it. It was L4D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

get off your high horse nix, Game are 1 of a massive majority that took everyone for every penny they could.
    They're not going to sell a game at 30 when everyone else had it at 60 it's really simply economics. I mean ground level.
    Now competition is heating up, and if you don't give everyone a fair crack of the whip you're the one who's going to pay more.
    Shop around, include Xtra-vision, HMV, GAME, Gamestop and steam - check them all then buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

CutzEr wrote: »
    I never buy stuff from steam now, I only use it.

Have gotten some crackin games on steam for 10 eurons a pop, patience when looking for cheapies on steam , me thinks.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

mayordenis wrote: »
    get off your high horse nix, Game are 1 of a massive majority that took everyone for every penny they could.
    They're not going to sell a game at 30 when everyone else had it at 60 it's really simply economics. I mean ground level.
    Now competition is heating up, and if you don't give everyone a fair crack of the whip you're the one who's going to pay more.
    Shop around, include Xtra-vision, HMV, GAME, Gamestop and steam - check them all then buy.

Game have never had a PC game at 60, don't know what you are all talking about

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

MooseJam wrote: »
    Game have never had a PC game at 60, don't know what you are all talking about

I was talking about general pricing, nowhere has pc games at 60.
    way to home in on the complete non point - the point was not that they were at 60 just that they were selling at the same prices as with the rest of the retails.
    lol man total brain fail.

Advertisement