Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good River near Laois

Options
  • 06-03-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads.

Im from portarlington and Laois and I usually fish the barrow, but the last few years things have been pretty bad between pollution and bad stock. I was wondering does anyone know of any good fishing clubs in the surrounding Countys that may be good to join. I usually fish about once a week or so and mostly just with worm or spinner. I cant fly fish im afraid to say. This year i would enjoy going off the odd time to a different river to do a bit of fishing. hope you can help.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Have a day on a commercial fishery where the stock is a higher density, you will enjoy yourself.
    If you go to Laois Angling centre, chat with Enda while you're there about the fishing around the area, and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

coolwings wrote: »
    Have a day on a commercial fishery where the stock is a higher density, you will enjoy yourself.
    If you go to Laois Angling centre, chat with Enda while you're there about the fishing around the area, and see if that helps.

I have fished the commercial lakes around laois but to be honest i much prefer to try and catch wild trout, but thanhks nonetheless for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Run down to the book shop and browse the excellent Rivers of Ireland by Peter O Reilly. It will give you the rivers and contact details of clubs in your area.

stevoman wrote: »
    I have fished the commercial lakes around laois but to be honest i much prefer to try and catch wild trout, but thanhks nonetheless for the reply.

You might have read my post a tad too quickly .....

It can be fun to do the research yourself:
    The chaps in the tackle shops can be helpful.
    Browsing old Specimen Fish Committee Reports is good where big fish used to come from they tend to come from again.
    The RFB websites have places described on their websites.
    Hugh Gough's book on Coarse Fishing in Ireland is excellent, out of print, try library maybe.

That's just a few of the things I do to locate new places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

You might have read my post a tad too quickly .....

It can be fun to do the research yourself:
    The chaps in the tackle shops can be helpful.
    Browsing old Specimen Fish Committee Reports is good where big fish used to come from they tend to come from again.
    The RFB websites have places described on their websites.
    Hugh Gough's book on Coarse Fishing in Ireland is excellent, out of print, try library maybe.

That's just a few of the things I do to locate new places.

Sorry Coolwings i may have read too quickly. I'l do that so. Looking forward to a nice bit of fishing this year.

• Advertisement

Enda will be able give you current contacts in a couple of the local clubs that I'm not up to date on committee members.

Advertisement