Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government puts hands over eyes and ears, heard to say "la la la la la"....

Options
  • 06-03-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

From the Irish Times website story: "Cowen says he had no advance knowledge of €2bn shortfall"
    Mr Cowen said the Government did not receive updates on a weekly basis and that accurate figures were not available to it until the end of each month.
    They are not even monitoring the situation. I run my own business, and I have a daily cash flow plan at the moment. How can we have confidence in these guys?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Is there anyone left with confidence in these guys? Even in Fianna Fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I think we are going beyond the point of complaining at this stage. I wonder what this phase is, in my case is a feel of hopelessness.... but who knows, maybe the next phase will be some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Cowen is the worst leader since Maggie. He talks tough but he cant put his money where his mouth is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Cowen, Coughlan & Lenihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

these idiots would not last five minutes running their own business eg the real world

• Advertisement

these idiots would not last five minutes running their own business eg the real world

This is very very true. There is no business experience at that cabinet table, the people who are supposed to be guiding us out of this have never created a job in their lives between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

r0nanf wrote: »
    From the Irish Times website story: "Cowen says he had no advance knowledge of ¬ 2bn shortfall"

They are not even monitoring the situation. I run my own business, and I have a daily cash flow plan at the moment. How can we have confidence in these guys?

:confused:

Well whats the alternative? Who is gonna do something about it? Nothing and nobody.

kmick wrote: »
    Cowen is the worst leader since Maggie. He talks tough but he cant put his money where his mouth is.

Well for reasons that are entirely associated with his actions over the last 5 years, the man now has no money to put anywhere.

All we need off this man is for him to get into his car and ask his driver to take him down to the Aras and tell Mary to dissolve the government. That's all he has to do... Until he does that, we are all f*cked and will remain f*cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Margaret Thatcher destroyed the UK economy. Cowen is complicit in destroying the Irish economy through inaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Margaret Thatcher destroyed the UK economy. Cowen is complicit in destroying the Irish economy through inaction.
    so what your saying is:
    Cowen = Thatcher ...:D

In fairness to thatcher she did do one good thing... invent soft whip ice-cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not to drag this too far OT but Mrs T saved the UK economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Margaret Thatcher destroyed the UK economy.
    No, she was great for the UK economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

hobochris wrote: »
    so what your saying is:
    Cowen = Thatcher ...:D

In fairness to thatcher she did do one good thing... invent soft whip ice-cream.

Thatcher had bigger balls than Biffo ever had.

She spelt the end for whole sections of British industry but then again their unions and management had been driving them into the ground for years before she arrived.
    At least she broke the UK unions, that was her one contribution.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well the question no one seems to be asking is if it's possible to get accurate figures on a weekly basis. Is the entire system set up to allow such granularity?

There's also the problem that what can or should one do in response to one week's figures? Extrapolating an annual trend off tax figures for one month is dodgy, doing it off one week would be madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I have said this before, and my opinion still stands. I lived in England and suffered under Thatcherism. Her divisive economic policies created a culture of greed and selfishness, and resulted in poverty, social disquiet, industrial strife and high unemployment.

Elvis Costello expressed it very well at the time.

Is this what we want here? It is already well underway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

nesf wrote: »
    Well the question no one seems to be asking is if it's possible to get accurate figures on a weekly basis. Is the entire system set up to allow such granularity?

There's also the problem that what can or should one do in response to one week's figures? Extrapolating an annual trend off tax figures for one month is dodgy, doing it off one week would be madness.

A decently planned spreadsheet would allow any dummy to notice a trend variation. It isn't rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Zynks wrote: »
    A decently planned spreadsheet would allow any dummy to notice a trend variation. It isn't rocket science.

I think that pretty much everything is rocket science to our glorious government. God knows what would happen if they had any said projectiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Zynks wrote: »

My question is whether there are numbers to put into our spreadsheets on a weekly basis.

i.e. VAT returns are posted (for most companies) on a bimonthly schedule. For any one company it's impossible for the Government to know what its VAT returns will be until it posts them. VAT returns are due on the 19th of the month following the VAT period. So Jan/Feb VAT returns are not due until the 19th of March. The Government cannot accurately state how much VAT was collected for this period until after that date. It can guesstimate but the hard data isn't available.

People are talking as if it's possible to know VAT numbers on a weekly basis, it isn't really.

• Advertisement

Guys, start a different thread if you want to debate Thatcher's legacy and reign as PM, it's off topic in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

From the Irish Times website story:
    "Cowen says he had no advance knowledge of €2bn shortfall"

Was there any indication that things had improved? No, yet it appears to be a big surprise to BC. He is the man for the job, like he had his eyes closed when he was the Finance Minister:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

This is not about Thatchers legacy. I'm just saying that if Cowen treated the unions the way Thatcher treated the IRA (as in, basically ignored them) we could cut spending across the whole public service, which is what we should be doing.

Its ridiculous that theyre talking about raising taxes when we have such ludicrous spending.

Advertisement