Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone on O2 - Bad coverage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

CyberDave wrote: »
    I read it on some forum somewhere. I have had it turned on the last while doesn't seem to be making any improvement to coverage.

Turning off 3G would probably save battery, not improve reception.

Turn the brightness of the screen way down also, I'm talking to 5-10%. That will make a helluva difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

CyberDave wrote: »
    I read it on some forum somewhere. I have had it turned on the last while doesn't seem to be making any improvement to coverage.

Have you the latest firmware on the phone, that might help the battery... http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

The signal thing is either o2's fault or you've a dodgy phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Im work I have zero reception with 02, no problems with Vodafone or 3 network though. I rang 02 and they said that in the contract they cannot guarantee coverage indoors.

Can they say that? Like it's not as if I am underground or anything or in Fort Knox, yet I walk out the door and I get nearly full coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How can you guarantee a signal will penetrate all buildings? The O2 mast must be further away than the masts and can't penetrate your building for some reason. Also some phones are better than others, have you tried swapping sims with the other people who's phone work on other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Most of my collegue phones are SIm locked but the 02 phones have same/similar problem. Signal improves standing beside a window, but I dont get paid to stand beside a window :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,973 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think a lot of the problems people are having with the iPhone is that they expect too much from it. I bought the iPhone expecting it to be a great phone, it isn't.

What it is, is the worlds best iPod that can make calls, surf the net, and send SMS. If you start to think of the device as this it suddenly feels like a much better device. I think Apple are guilty of promoting it as the worlds best phone, which in fairness it isn't even close. Worlds best gadget - Perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well after my Sony Ericsson K800i went for a little swim, I got my hands on a Samsung Tocco (for free). After using that for nearly 6 months, the iPhone does appear as the world's best phone.

What gets me about it is the little touches. So when you put the phone to your ear, the screen blanks, and when you take it away, the "end call" button appears. Tiny, simple enhancements that make it so much easier to use than other phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What it is, is the worlds best iPod that can make calls, surf the net, and send SMS. If you start to think of the device as this it suddenly feels like a much better device. I think Apple are guilty of promoting it as the worlds best phone, which in fairness it isn't even close. Worlds best gadget - Perhaps?

That's always been my point. If you think of it as a phone, you are going to get fairly annoyed fairly quickly.

If, however, you think of it as a device that plays media, connects to the internet, oh, and happens to make phonecalls too, then you are onto a winner.

Of course it has it's shortcomings, what device doesn't?

It's all about expectations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    That's always been my point. If you think of it as a phone, you are going to get fairly annoyed fairly quickly.

If, however, you think of it as a device that plays media, connects to the internet, oh, and happens to make phonecalls too, then you are onto a winner.

Of course it has it's shortcomings, what device doesn't?

It's all about expectations.

Couldn't agree more. When people ask, I say it's not great as a phone, and there are probably better mobile internet access devices out there, but when you add it all together it's excellent.

In my opinion, obviously. Your mileage may vary. I'm not an Apple fanboy, but neither am I an Apple hater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Would have thought this is related to the software the phone is running.

What baseband?

• Advertisement
Advertisement