Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Viable Explosive Device Found in Dublin

Options
  • 06-03-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

From http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0306/breaking30.htm
    Viable explosive device found under van in Dublin

Gardaí are examining the components of a viable explosive device found under a van in Dublin late last night.

The pipe-bomb was dismantled by Army bomb disposal experts on Cloverhill Road, Ballyfermot and declared safe just after 1am.

A Defence Forces spokesman said the Army Explosive Ordnance Department (EOD) was called to the scene by gardaí in Harcourt Street just before midnight.

“They found a suspicious device under a van and on further investigation it turned out to be an improvised device,” he said. He confirmed that it contained explosives and was viable. It was dismantled at the scene.

What's going on here, there seems to be a new bomb found every second day in Dublin, but it gets no attention. Is this criminal or terrorist? If terrorist I guess I am posting in the right place, but who is behind this, what are they looking for? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yeah, I have noticed that there seems to be quite a few bombs being found around Dublin.

Not got a clue who is putting them there, if it were terrorists, they would be making a lot more noise about it.

Could be criminal gangs trying to off each other as well I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The modern Dublin drug scumbag has the firepower of terrorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mike65 wrote: »
    The modern Dublin drug scumbag has the firepower of terrorists.
    Not that any Irish terrorist organisations would ever get involved in drug dealing of course, no way. In fact, don't they tar and feather drug dealers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Da dum tushhhhhh! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

The govt (if it had any balls) would make unlawful use or possession of firearms or explosives (or related equipment, chemicals, etc) a terrorist act and punish the criminals under the terrorism laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

What bugs me is that the media just reports that "a bomb was found", but don't give any further information as in who's car or in front of what building. It sounds like they are under some sort of instruction to not give more information, or even scared to say anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Last week in a small village in Wexford a haul of drugs and bomb making stuff was found in a settled traveller's carpet shop. What were they doing with explosives, ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The media want hush because this is Ireland.

The media could make a big deal of it, and people would too. A few gets it into there heads its the IRA or the UDA. Next thing a hero will start doing "revenge" bombings that actually go off. Step one then starts again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

It's criminal gangs with explosives being provided by members of terrorist organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

the media cover this up to prevent copy cats. There are plenty of angry and frustrated young men in Dublin who would be evil enough to bomb central Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

From what I've heard, it's down to turf wars between two or three major drug gangs around the city. It's been going on for a few years now if my memory serves me right, with quite a few pipe bombs and the like being made safe by the army.

Sooner or later someone completely innocent is going to get blown up by one of these devices.. only then will it get headline attention. I can't imagine those EOD guys have many christmas cards to send to the scumbags on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

First I heard of it to be honest.

But not surprising really, everybody needs money, even the knackers.
    They are just more ruthless in their means of acquiring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

SolarFlash wrote: »
    the media cover this up to prevent copy cats. There are plenty of angry and frustrated young men in Dublin who would be evil enough to bomb central Dublin.

There's no media cover-up. Compare to Enniskillen, Omagh or the many other instances to see that finding explosives is low in the new priority list.

Advertisement