Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get lead for casting?

Options
  • 06-03-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭

This might be an appropriate query for the shooting forum - a mate is looking to get lead for melting down and casting - does anyone here do this to make bullets and if so where do you get your lead? Do fishing shops or hardware shops sell small bars of lead suitable for melting in a pot? I think he is looking for relatively pure lead as opposed to lead alloy with a high percentage of other metals

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

BrianD3 wrote: »
    This might be an appropriate query for the shooting forum - a mate is looking to get lead for melting down and casting - does anyone here do this to make bullets and if so where do you get your lead? Do fishing shops or hardware shops sell small bars of lead suitable for melting in a pot? I think he is looking for relatively pure lead as opposed to lead alloy with a high percentage of other metals

Thanks

I used old wheel balance weights for making fishing weights for years.
    You should be able to pick up some from any tyre retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pajo65

hey,

i have some lead shot, 5, 6 & BB shot size there in 7 Kg bags if you think these would do,

p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

foxhunter wrote: »
    I used old wheel balance weights for making fishing weights for years.
    You should be able to pick up some from any tyre retailer.

Wheel weights are okay if properly cleaned beforehand but remember he ll have to add 10 per cent lead /tin solder into the mix to obtain the proper hardness for bullet casting- also nowadays wheel weights are mostly non lead unfortunatley-so check what you get!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

These guys sell bars of metal specifically for casting miniatures. It's not pure lead - I think the closest they have to is 65% lead, if that's any good to you. Plenty of info on the site anyway. What quantity is your friend looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Sorry forgot the link!

http://www.princeaugust.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The lead from old car batteries would be available from car wreakers. This is used in USA by commercial bullet makers according to a program I saw on TV recently. It should be available in small to large quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thanks lads, some good suggestions there, keep 'em coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

You can buy rolls of lead in any decent hardware, as posted by someone I think its a lead type alloy for bulletts. By the way go talk to some roofers or builders you never know what you could pick up as off cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You can buy rolls of lead in any decent hardware, as posted by someone I think its a lead type allow for bulletts. By the way go talk to some roofers or builders you never know what you could pick upo as off cuts

I know the lead used in unjacketed .22lr rounds is an alloy of lead, arsenic and antimony (unsure as to proportions) so possibly not something you'll pick up particularly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Old houses somtimes have plenty of old roof flashing lead. Lead water pipes can still be found.Even go down to your local range and ask who do they sell to,or what do they do with the used bullet lead from the backstops?Couldnt get any better lead then.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement