Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't buy MS Points; Live ID location is United States

• 06-03-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone else has encountered this problem, but when I went to buy MS points for my new XBox (I have a Live account through Games for Windows Live originally), I couldn't as my address country field is hardcoded to the United States. Supposedly, this originally comes from the country settings for my Hotmail account (how dumb is that; no wonder they sacked the moron responsible - http://kotaku.com/5139030/games-for-windows-live-boss-sacked).

Anyhow, I've emailed Live support and asked on the forums but no luck. Would I be able to buy Live points from the US somehow, while still using an Irish credit card? Is there another way to buy them, perhaps through PayPal?

Any help appreciated,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Same thing happened to me - complete pain in the hole. I cut my losses and set up a new account with an Irish address... I had to do something to play SF4 online! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

If you check on Boards, I think I can remember a few threads about sites that were selling MS Points (the pre-paid cards). Some of them are marked EU / UK codes which won't work, but others are US / North American ones and they should work fine for you.

Sorry I couldn't find any of the sites myself to vouch for them ... Hope it helps.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

E-Bay is the way to go

I have the same problem and had to buy a US Subscription a few months back
    Plus point it that about half the price of the ones for sale here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

mik_da_man wrote: »
    E-Bay is the way to go

I have the same problem and had to buy a US Subscription a few months back
    Plus point it that about half the price of the ones for sale here :)

Will that definitely work? I won't have problems spending the points or buying a Gold subscription.

OK, cheers,

P.

PS: Here's the rant I posted over in the GFWL forum after ringing support:

Just rang up the support line and had a lengthy chat with the bloke. For some reason, when I initially set up my Live account, the address was set to the United States. This address can be changed. However, the address of the Games for Windows Live\XBox Live account attached to that Live account cannot be changed ever.

The support guy said that the reason for this is "security", which let's face it, is just nonsense (not his fault for saying it, he's just the support guy of course). With the correct authorizations, I can change the address on my Live account, my bank account, my credit card... yet somehow, XBox Live accounts are so sacrosanct, I can't change it - even when it's patently a mistake on Microsoft's party.

So much for being an international company, how Amerocentric of its developers to consider the default setting to the US!

The only "solution" I was offered was to set up another account. Why should I? I've been using my account for months now on GFWL, and have loads of achievements and points on it. Plus my gametag is one I've been using online in various forms for ten years. I am kind of attached to it.

I don't even have the option - as given on the Wii - of setting up a second account, using it to buy games, but sending these games as gifts to my original account.

I asked to make an official complaint about it, but there's not even any official channel for that.

This is rubbish. Utter, utter rubbish, and Microsoft should be absolutely ashamed at offering such an abysmal cludge of a system and then trying to make excuses for it.

P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

If I can help in any way let me know. Im irish but in the US. I can just go into any shop here and get you points or subscriptions to live.
    You could just deposit the cash into my Irish bank account or transfer money over paypal.

Let me know, but i am sure ebay is the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

murfie wrote: »
    If I can help in any way let me know. Im irish but in the US. I can just go into any shop here and get you points or subscriptions to live.
    You could just deposit the cash into my Irish bank account or transfer money over paypal.

Let me know, but i am sure ebay is the best option.

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it; the eBay guys I've checked will send me the code (rather than deliver the card, which I'll have to pay P&P on), but want me to pay the P&P upfront ($40!) which they will then "refund". I'm a bit dubious.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

ok, did a search and this is best i can come up without starting a new 'fred'.

ive got a us location account. i think its causing me to not be able to sign into sky player EVER since day one, although have it downloaded and pay the sub. Also wont be able to play 1 vs 100 as the schedules are for the US and if i try to download when game is on it says 'not available in your region'.

So, in brief. ive a uk/irish profile(on silver) i use to buy points or download games etc as advised by xbox ppl.
    Can i change live account from the US one to this UK one, and does this transfer the acheivements gained also to the uk/ire profile so i can then use my gold accoutn on uk/ire things?
    Is that what it does, i dont want to spend buy 800 points if it just gives me a new name but keeps the same US location.

sorry its long winded.. its just doing my head in

Advertisement