Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Ikea for Kitchen Stuff

• 06-03-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

If this is in the wrong place please move it.

I am just in the process of getting the final touches to move into my house and have to get everything - sausepans, utencils, down to knives, spoons etc.

Would anyone here recommend going to IKEA to buy this stuff? Do they do good quality stuff? Are they dear??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you looking for good quality, long lasting stuff, then Ikea is not your place. Most of the stuff in my flat is from Ikea, but I'm a student and knew I wouldn't need it for more than 3 years. I have a knife set which is utterly useless, a wok which is crap, etc. However, it is cheap and cheerful. All my crockery is from there, and at least half of it has survived 3 years. Most of the rest does have cracks and chips though.

It depends what you're looking for, to be honest. If you want cheap stuff that you can replace every few years, then Ikea is fantastic. But if you want it to be strong, good quality and long-lasting, I'd pay the extra for proper stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hell, if you just want cheap stuff that you'll replace every few years, you don't have to go as far as Ikea - TK Max's kitchen section will do. And if you know what you're looking for, you'll occasionally find decent stuff there on the cheap.

Sadly, I have yet to find a cheap cast iron skillet there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I wouldn't get knives or pans in Ikea, but crockery, cutlery, glassware and the other kitchen utensils are definitely worth checking out. They have the best garlic crusher that I've ever used. I've bought so many as presents for friends. I'd head up and get the things that look decent and pick them up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

The thing about ikea is that they have the full range of quality. You can buy cheap pots and pans that look good but won't last very long but they also have more expensive stuff that will last longer. I love the choice Ikea gives you. Their cutlery is fantastic as are their glasses. I have a set of their plates and they are lasting as well as any other plates you might buy. Be sure that your plates and bowls are microwave and dishwasher safe. Some cheap delph isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Sparks wrote: »
    Sadly, I have yet to find a cheap cast iron skillet there :(

Might not help you but I went to TK Maxx in Blanch looking for just one of them about 3 weeks ago. They didn't have one but Home Store & More just down from it does a huge range of cast iron skillets (round, and square griddle kinds). It was 25 euro for the largest one. Been using it since and I don't think I could do without it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

The thing with Ikea is they do a couple of differnet ranges ie student value, mid range and expensive.

I have a couple of there pots and pans from I think the range is called 365 (or something like that) and I find them really good. All non stick pots and pans in a good range of sizes. They also do some really cool Kitchen gadgets I got a really funky grater in there about 9 months ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Ive collected all my utensils through out the last ten years that Ive lived back here. When I was “setting up” I found my casserole dishes in charity shops. My favourite one was €10 I think and it’s a really lovely old fashioned brown glazed ceramic one that has all those thousands of teeny fissure cracks and it makes the food in it look even tastier when its placed on the table right out of the oven. I bought all my pyrex in charity shops as well. My Mum had been stashing good quality saucepans away for me for years  Same with crockery. Although I need new now. 4 years on and I’ve managed to break most of it along the way. Plus people seem to forget to give it back. Ggrr. Hate that. Ive given up asking for my pie dishes back from people and just buy cheap assed ones now cos I know Ill never see them again.

One thing I will say, is if you can afford it get a good knife. Using bad knives takes the pleasure out of cooking, as itt suddenly turns into work and trying not to cut yourself whilst forcing a blunt blade through an unsteady and oddly shaped vegetable. I would recommend theh following knives to be a basic stock start and then build around as you can afford.

1 chopping knife – I use Wustof, imo, it’s the best brand out there, but everyone has their favourite. One of my friends is a Victorinox fan – but again, its not a Blur/Oasis deal, take what you want from each manufacturer.

1 steel – keep the knives sharp – learn how to do this, its very important to keep you blades in good nick.

I veg knife – a small blade – handy for anything

1 carver – serrated is my preferred blade, again, everyone’s different

1 veg peeler – spend the money on a good one.

That is a very basic kit. It will cost in the region of maybe €200 if you go to the higher brand names. A lot of money but worth every penny as it makes life a lot earier when you have good tools.

Never never buy “that handy kitchen tool” off QVC or Lidls latest offer. They’re cheap and nasty and do nothing that you cant do yourself once you know how to work your knives properly and have figured out your food processor. A hand blender is a great tool to have knocking about as well. Perfect mash every time!

When it comes to woks, I am the destroyer. I buy a just about acceptable quality one everytime as I know Ill have it burnt out in 6 months. If there’s a free pair of chopsticks, Ill buy it everytime! Same with frying pans. I have the iron skillets but the everyday pans have a pretty low life expectancy rate in our house!:pac:

Have fun building your collection! :D

Advertisement