Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethnicity Question on UK university Application Forms

• 06-03-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭

I'm currently applying for a post grad course in the UK, and I've noticed that just about every university asks what race you are. What's the deal with this? Do they discriminate against people of certain races to meet a quota? i.e. have lower standards for people who's race they don't have a lot of?

Some of them say that it's not used in the decision making process, but I find this hard to believe. If that was the case, why would they ask it?

Personally, I find it despicable, that they even ask this question. What difference does it make what race someone is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Blisterman wrote: »
    I'm currently applying for a post grad course in the UK, and I've noticed that just about every university asks what race you are. What's the deal with this? Do they discriminate against people of certain races to meet a quota? i.e. have lower standards for people who's race they don't have a lot of?

Some of them say that it's not used in the decision making process, but I find this hard to believe. If that was the case, why would they ask it?

Personally, I find it despicable, that they even ask this question. What difference does it make what race someone is?
    this is so the university can fill its quota of ethnic students and in fact discriminate against the native white british students-[british goverment policy] they get more goverment had outs to fill there places with ethnic students

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Does it work both ways.
    One of the universities I'm applying for, has 60% white students, which is well below the number in the population. Could being white be an advantage there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It's to monitor the level of applications/successful admissions etc. of all ethnicities, including minorities. It is not used as the basis of selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, if it's not used in selection, what is the point of monitoring it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gosimeon

The college will want to know if they are accessible to people from all backgrounds and ethnicities. This is a way of measuring it. Your colour has no sway at all on the application process, it just lets them know if they are being successful in attracting people from all backgrounds etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Blisterman wrote: »
    Well, if it's not used in selection, what is the point of monitoring it?

Precisely what gosimeon said.

Advertisement