Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming wild kitten

Options
  • 06-03-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

is it possible to 'tame' a kitten that has only know the outdoors and very little human contact? i know where there is a kitten who lives with her mother as outdoor cats, an old woman takes them in but only some of the cats live indoors, i doubt if the kitten or its n#mother has ever had any human rubbing them so i was wondering if i managed to catch the kitten would she be able to adapt to being with humans (and indoors?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Short answer,yes. Our cat was a wild kitten, and after a week or two of him trying to kill us,he grew comfortable. One thing about him,he rarely retracts his claws. he is really suspicious of strangers aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

If u manage to catch it keep it either in a quiet room or a large dog crate. Make sure it has a hidey hole that she can call her own. It takes patience and time, dont force yourself on the kitten. If we have any like this we just spend time sitting in the room they are in for the first few days so get used to our presence. I put a t shirt that one of us has worn in the hidey hole or bed so they get used to our smell. After a day or two i start playing with some toys. Bounce or roll a call, dangle a fishing rod toy to try and encourage some interaction. I tend to let the kitten come to me if it wants, i never try to pet it until it's comfortable. Next step is try and encourage the kitten to take a treat from my hand. A piece of chicken or ham but dont give it unless they come and take it. Again dont try to pet the kitten, u are trying to gain it's trust and it has to learn that u wont touch it when u hand feed it. Once the kitten realises that u mean no harm it will come to u! Dont rub the top of it's head. Let it sniff your hand and pet it's side or back. Alternatively u can stuff a rubber glove and attach it to a stick and use this to pet the kitten to see how it reacts. Takes time but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

It would take a little work but the kitty should settle in over time, if you bring it to your house try and contain the kitty to a couple a rooms so it can get use to being indoors. dont try to force the kitten to come to you, the cats curious nature usually gets the better of them and they will come check you out. good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

A lot depends on the age of the kitten and also as to how feral it is. I have taken kittens from the wild and the majority of them have come around and turn into loving little purr monsters.

I did trap 3 kittens who were about 12/14 weeks old in Prussia Street 2 years ago. They were so wild it was unreal - the black one who was female started to come around in that I could enter the room and she didn't hiss and spit at me. I kept them for a few weeks, one of the males just hated humans and would attack me. They all got spayed/neutered and I managed to find a farm for one tabby male and the black female. To this day the male is truly wild and is very rarely seen as he hates humans the female is quiet happy to potter around and will let them rub her.

As for the 2nd male - well he decided he didn't like humans but quiet liked cats and DOGS.............so well he stayed with us. We have him as a house cat and he is with us 2 1/2 years. To this day if I try to pick him up I am taking my life into my own hands as he freaks. I am permitted to rub him - when he wants it and on his terms. Which having another 4 cats is grand - he adores the dogs and spends his time snuggled into a cat or a dog.

So it can be done but be aware that it may never be a cuddle cat - like I said it depends on the age of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Doesn't sound that wild as such, I'm sure it's possible :)
    I brought a kitten home one night I saw wandering the streets on Halloween once. Took me bloody ages for the feckin thing to come home with me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Irish-Lass wrote: »
    A lot depends on the age of the kitten and also as to how feral it is. I have taken kittens from the wild and the majority of them have come around and turn into loving little purr monsters.

So it can be done but be aware that it may never be a cuddle cat - like I said it depends on the age of them.

agreed ;) two of my cats were feral, and not first generation feral either - they're now happy house cats - cuddles / pets are done strictly on their terms but then that's perfectly fine by me :rolleyes: if I'd gotten them younger they'd have come round more I'm sure but such is life - they're happy and safe and I don't get scratched as long as I don't try to cuddle them too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

thanks for the relpys folks, but it wont matter to me now as the old woman wont let me have him. typical!

Advertisement