Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer Network Problem

Options
  • 06-03-2009 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Ill list info first

Im using eircom netopia 2247nwg eir
    The desktop is connected directly to the thingy and so is the printer and the desktop is running xp media center

i also have a laptop that connects through the wireless and in the printer settings it setup no probs.
    but if i try to print something i get an error.
    1 can this router do this
    2 if it can how do i do it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Printer connected to the desktop which is connected to the router or network printer connected to router, along with desktop?

If the latter, you want to share the printer. Any router is up this this. Open up Printer and Faxes (or whatever the Vista equivalent is) and right click on the printer. Choose Share and tweak any options there. Put both computers in the same workgroup (MSHOME or WORKGROUP by default). You can get at this by right clicking on My Computer. It's under Computer Name, IIRC. Need to reboot if you change it.

With all machines in same workgroup, open My Network Places on the laptop. You should see your printer. Double click. You'll be prompted to install the driver. Try and allow it to happen automatically. If it doesn't work, you'll need to use the printer driver that came on the CD or get it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

What model is the printer? is it a network printer?
    It sounds like its a network printer and you've plugged a patch cable in to it and hoped i would run..you'' need to run whatever software came with your printer..usually easy enough ..if not follow ethernets post and simply share it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pokerbrick

every site gives solutions that dont work but ive found one that works.

create a new port to use and call it this

\\host\printer

host = subistute the name of the pc where the printer is connected directly
    printer = sub the name of what u call the printer

Advertisement