Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel 4965 vs 5100 vs 5300

Options
  • 06-03-2009 2:57pm

I have two laptops at the moment, an Acer Aspire 5920G with an Intel 4965AGN wireless adapter and a Dell Studio 1737 with an Intel 5100. I also have an AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7270 5 GHz draft N router.

I've found the wireless performance on the Studio to be pathetic; it sits at 150Mbps most of the time and constantly drops off. The only way to keep the connection solid is to force the card back to 802.11a. On the other hand, the Acer is perfectly fine, connection speed is usually between 270 and 300Mbps and is rock solid.

So now here's the question, if I replace the Intel 5100 in the Studio with a 5300 will this solve the problem? Or could it be some compatibility issue with my router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Karsini wrote: »
    I have two laptops at the moment, an Acer Aspire 5920G with an Intel 4965AGN wireless adapter and a Dell Studio 1737 with an Intel 5100. I also have an AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7270 5 GHz draft N router.

I've found the wireless performance on the Studio to be pathetic; it sits at 150Mbps most of the time and constantly drops off. The only way to keep the connection solid is to force the card back to 802.11a. On the other hand, the Acer is perfectly fine, connection speed is usually between 270 and 300Mbps and is rock solid.

So now here's the question, if I replace the Intel 5100 in the Studio with a 5300 will this solve the problem? Or could it be some compatibility issue with my router?

the 5100 is a 1x1 N so connecting at 150Mbps is correct and the 5300 is a 2X2 N and the connection speeds you quoted are fine too, If your using it just to browse the web I wouldn't change but if its disconnecting I would update the drivers etc

Advertisement