Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Farmers Support Group

Options
  • 06-03-2009 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Any Young Dairy Farmers in here? Want to share the Pain? let it out:eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

what pain? i was a dairy farmer i know what its like. but dairy farmers were not on here 2 years ago complaining moaning. if u take into account what u got then and whats ahead for this year you it will average out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i dont understand milk consumption has gone up in this country our local shop sell 2 litres of branded milk for 3 euro and always sells out of it :eek: when will people realise what we get is nothing compared to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Connery

Point taken legwax, How do you feel about the abolition of Quota.

Me Personally, i think it would sound the death knell for the Irish farmer.

We would be competing with the likes of NZ on the international market!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I expect to get approx 20c/L for my February milk, the cheapest I can buy 27.25.5 at the moment is €425 per ton. I am feeding nuts costing €205 per ton.

After haggling I am getting 600c/Kg for the first of our Spring lamb due to killed next week

Guess what stock are getting the pick of the grazing on this farm !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

its unreal the price of dairy replacements it would be great to have 20 calved heifers for sale !!! i dont think dairy is worth all the hours we put in but what are the alternatives the last time milk prices where bad we had the building work to go to now theres nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Connery

Well whelan, 3 things in life are needed for survival Air, Sex and food. I cant comment on your contribution to the first two:) but people will always need to eat food. You will always have a market for your produce:)

Ya well for me personally the lack of availability of land is a major hinderance. I live in a fairly Dairy intensive region of the country. It can get disheartening to see neighbours build and build their units while i literally stand still.

I milk 70 good dairy cows with a related beef enterprise. My neighbours herds average over 200 cows. Guess who has the buying power when suitable land nearby is for sale. I think government regulation is neededto assist young farmers expand their enterprise. Slightly communist thinkin i guess but i say share the wealth!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

as bad as milk price is , dairy cows and heifers are every bit as dear as last year , obviously some farmers out there have money

Advertisement