Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Ceilings - Bridging??

Options
  • 06-03-2009 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on how best to bridge for heavy lights with metal floating ceilings (under bison slab).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Hi Newname,

Any MF ceilings that i have done and where grounds were needed, we cut 12.5mm ply and laid it above the MF5 making sure it spanned at least 3 MF5's. Screw up into the ply from the small overhangs on the mf5. This should be sufficient grounds for any lighting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

How much of a void are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

Hi,

Newmills, would you attach the ply to the bison slab or just attach directly to the metal.

Querty, there is about 1 foot gap between each metal strip/length

newname wrote: »

I mean between the hollowcore slab and the ceiling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

Hi,

6 inches gap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

newname wrote: »
    Hi,

Newmills, would you attach the ply to the bison slab or just attach directly to the metal.

Newname i would screw the ply directly to the metal mf5 channel but make sure it spans at least 3 mf5's - ideally near where the metal hanging angle is attached to the mf7 (carrier bar).

I had a 4" gap to fill. i cut a square of 1" thick Plywood about 350mm square. I screwed two pieces of 3x2 onto this, and then fixed this into the hollowcore slab. Then I screwed another square of ply onto the bottom of the 3X2, which ended up just above the plasterboard slab. You would need to add a layer or two of ply, or use 4x2 to make up the 6"s you need.

Hope you catch the drift of this.
    P.M. your email and I'll send a pic.

Advertisement