Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning sickness

• 06-03-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I'm 8 weeks and its more like all day sickness in my case... :rolleyes:
    Did anybody find anything useful like ginger etc that helped ease the vomiting?
    At the mo i'm surviving on 7up, seems to be the only thing i can keep down...
    Any useful advise anybody can pass on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

heya i know what your going through but it does get easier, what worked for me was have some crackers beside the bed have a lil nibble before you get up.

Eat little and often so never let your tummy go hungry i found if i did the worse i was!!

I dont have any vomiting now but still have naseous(sp?) feeling so now i sip on gingerale.

Sister in law said she used to eat the ginger biscuits too.

Hope it helps im 14 weeks now and has gone from all day sickness to afternoons only and the odd morning. But they do say as u go on that it gets easier.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I really sympathise with you, i had 'all day sickness' from week 7 to week 20, i actually had to spent 2 days in hospital at week 13 because of dehydration.

As galwaygirleen said keep crackers near you, also some mints or fruit flavoured sweets to suck on to keep sugar levels up and flat ginger ale can help.
    Try and eat something small every 2 hours and keep hydrated otherwise if you're like i was you will feel utterly crap.

It does get better believe me, it just doesn't feel like that at the time :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Morning sickness is a myth!

All day sickness is accurate.

What I did was ate anything I felt I could so for weeks it was rice and crackers,I wasn't too worried about eating healthily just keeping anyhting down.

Ginger did help a bit too.

I am not a huge fan of pregnancy and the first few days after were a daze but it is brilliant after:)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Thanx for all your help guys. Today ive been sipping flat 7up and nibbling on gingernut biscuits but i seem to be losing more than im taking in (apolgies, graphic i know :rolleyes:) Oh my god, can this seriously last up until 20weeks? :eek: Mam said it should be easing down in the next month...
    I never though of gingerale, ill try that tomorrow. Thank you, :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The only thing my girlfriend could keep down were Snax(crisps) and jellies. It was constant vomiting, not a fun few weeks. All gone now though thank god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Princessa wrote: »
    Thanx for all your help guys. Today ive been sipping flat 7up and nibbling on gingernut biscuits but i seem to be losing more than im taking in (apolgies, graphic i know :rolleyes:) Oh my god, can this seriously last up until 20weeks? :eek: Mam said it should be easing down in the next month...
    I never though of gingerale, ill try that tomorrow. Thank you, :D

It can last up to 20 weeks or even longer, but for most women it will have subsided somewhat after the first trimester ends.

Ginger ale is great - just leave the lid off for a while - carbonated drinks are just going to cause gas and leave you feeling sickly and burpy. Anything with ginger in will help, also dry toast, crackers, milky tea with a spoon of sugar... gentle foods. Avoid rich or heavy foods as much as possible.

A general FYI for anyone who is experiencing very severe sickness during pregnancy :

If you are vomiting all the time, experiencing severe nausea and find that you're very tired, losing weight or are becoming dehydrated, you need to see your GP. Hyperemesis Gravidarum whilst rare, can occur and needs to be treated as a matter of priority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I jinxed it by posting yesterday. Came in from work last night about half 3 and went up to bed. Started talking for maybe 2 minutes and she had to run and get sick

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Melion wrote: »
    The only thing my girlfriend could keep down were Snax(crisps) and jellies. It was constant vomiting, not a fun few weeks. All gone now though thank god

Very important pregnancy foods,I was addicted to both:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Snax kept me going also and for some strange reason i could stomach Chicken Flavoured Koka Noodles.
    My sister swore by the B.R.A.T diet which is banannas, rice, apple sauce and toast, i was so sick i could only manage rice and toast :)

I'm at 26 weeks now and i've started to feel sick again, have been throwing up again the last few mornings and i was really bad last night but i'm determined to not let it get the better of me.

OP if you can, take a nap during the day and try and sleep slightly elevated and on your left side, sounds weird but it helped ease the sickness for me.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

The gingerale seems to be working a little, im still vomiting and have that 24/7 quesy feeling but i dont think the vomiting is as severe. :D
    Snax huh? Mum said she just to walk around with packets of bbq hulla hoops when she was pregnant on me. Sure i suppose i just gotta expermient and see what works and what doesnt. The thought of eating anything heavy turns me right off so ill just try small and frequent. Thanx for all the wonderful tips and keep them coming. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Melion wrote: »
    I jinxed it by posting yesterday. Came in from work last night about half 3 and went up to bed. Started talking for maybe 2 minutes and she had to run and get sick

Was it something you said? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

Ginger Ginger Ginger! You can try
    • fresh piece of ginger in your water bottle (take it with you anywhere yoy go)
    • ginger drinks (you can buy in Asian shops)
    • ginger cookies
    Hope it helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

- Get those anti sea sickness bands for your arms
    - dont eat and drink at the same time
    - keep away from fatty foods
    and its tough but good luck and try and rest as much as you can

Advertisement