Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCHSS Postgraduate Form

Options
  • 06-03-2009 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi guys, I completed the application about two months back and sent it in. I was very happy with it. However, last night I just happened to be browsing over it and realised that in the Bibliography Section, I had an entry in the incorrect alphabetical order, I had them correct put under F but had started with FR and placed the author with FO under it when it should have been the other way around. Should I now forget about having any chances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

If this is a merit-based grant and they disqualify you for such a pathetic reason, then they are bad reviewers. I think you should be optimistic that the selection committee will be above such pettiness. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭thesecretforme

Do you genuinely think so? I'm just kicking myself here about it. Oh WHY!
    It was emphasised before hand how important it was to have everything correct. There was just so much nervousness in the air and a rush to complete the application. Do people normally pay much attention to the bibliography?

Do you genuinely think so? I'm just kicking myself here about it. Oh WHY!
    It was emphasised before hand how important it was to have everything correct. There was just so much nervousness in the air and a rush to complete the application. Do people normally pay much attention to the bibliography?

Again, if they focus on this they would have to be massively anal-retentive spas. I don't know who's on the selection committee but as I reviewer of other things, if someone brought up something like this as a genuine concern, I would be actually be embarrassed for them. It would mean they are idiots, and completely unsuited to reviewing. I mean completely.This is exactly the attitude not to bring to a review.

Now, for all I know, they could have a bunch of hacks on the panel, in which case, you might get stung. If you are confident that they have good people, respected in their field, there (do they tell you who's on it?) then you have nothing to worry about. Worst case scenario, if they actually ding you for this, you can at least feel smugly satisfied that they are idiots who haven't a clue what they are supposed to be doing. :pac:

They are all academics on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

To echo the others here... I would seriously doubt it would come up. They probably wouldn't even notice. In my experience, the further along you are in your academic career, the less you actually care about minute details like that. So given that they are all distinguised academics, I'm pretty sure they won't notice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

I had an entry in the incorrect alphabetical order

Don't worry about it.

2Scoops wrote: »
    If this is a merit-based grant and they disqualify you for such a pathetic reason, then they are bad reviewers. I think you should be optimistic that the selection committee will be above such pettiness. :pac:

Given they have to read circa 650 applications for the 120-160 awards they make, they may well be petty given they can only support 1-6 applications. Poorly produced application vs. well presented, while only subliminal, have an effect however 'petty'. Little things like biblography have little effect, that's why it is only a two-page adendum.

ps.

Presume for merit based one should read 'academic excellence' based, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know who's on the selection committee......
    they are idiots, and completely unsuited to reviewing......... bunch of hacks on the panel, in which case, you might get stung...... you can at least feel smugly satisfied that they are idiots who haven't a clue what they are supposed to be doing. (do they tell you who's on it?) :pac:

For one who knows so much it would likely pay you to visit www.irchss.ie.

I believe all the panels convened since conception of the schemes in 2000 are openly available to view, if you are interested....

TJJP wrote: »
    Presume for merit based one should read 'academic excellence' based, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

I assume the awards are given based on the quality of the proposal, the research environment and that of the candidate. There will be lots to discriminate applications on - I can't see where a simple failure to alphbetize a citation list should come into it, tbh.
    TJJP wrote: »
    For one who knows so much it would likely pay you to visit www.irchss.ie.

I believe all the panels convened since conception of the schemes in 2000 are openly available to view, if you are interested

I'm not 'in' humanities, so these names mean nothing to me. I'm sure they are all excellent reviewers, which is why I told the OP not to worry. I merely pointed out that if they select based on a meaningless error in the citation list (and they almost certainly won't), they are not quality reviewers. It appears from your comments that you agree with me.

Edit: I resent the selective quoting you've done in post #9.

TJJP, so do you think I have something to worry about then, that I've scarpered my chances?
    Guys I eithered screwed it or I didn't it's quite simple! I was just looking for a balanced answer. I'm really nervous again! Damn!
    I thought, maybe I was just trying to make myself feel better, that is was the substance of the application, which I think is of a very-good standard.

• Advertisement

I assume the awards are given based on the quality of the proposal, the research environment and that of the candidate. There will be lots to discriminate applications on - I can't see where a simple failure to alphbetize a citation list should come into it, tbh.

I'm not 'in' humanities, so these names mean nothing to me. I'm sure they are all excellent reviewers, which is why I told the OP not to worry. I merely pointed out that if they select based on a meaningless error in the citation list (and they almost certainly won't), they are not quality reviewers. It appears from your comments that you agree with me.

Edit: I resent the selective quoting you've done in post #9.

Apologies, I also 'resent' selective use of information so if I offended I didnt mean to and otherwise I concur.

However, given that you've suggested you are not in the Humanities (or social sciences?) I have a slightly better context for your remarks and will accept them in that vein.

ps. If you want a debate on the virtues of the application of scientific measures such as citation or reference indices to the HSS (as you seem to suggest) that's a whole different thread and there are likely better placed people than I with which to discuss it. Rgs, T.

TJJP, so do you think I have something to worry about then, that I've scarpered my chances?
    Guys I eithered screwed it or I didn't it's quite simple! I was just looking for a balanced answer. I'm really nervous again! Damn!
    I thought, maybe I was just trying to make myself feel better, that is was the substance of the application, which I think is of a very-good standard.

No. TJJP said don't worry about it, so don't worry about it. Both opinions offered by posters were balanced, hence the debate. The world is inherently unstable. Again, as for your bibliography, don't worry about it.

So do you think it will effect my chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hi guys, I completed the application about two months back and sent it in. I was very happy with it. However, last night I just happened to be browsing over it and realised that in the Bibliography Section, I had an entry in the incorrect alphabetical order, I had them correct put under F but had started with FR and placed the author with FO under it when it should have been the other way around. Should I now forget about having any chances?

Dont give it a second thought, for what its worth they didnt pass any remarks on my references (or those of a friend in my department) in the comment sheet

And were you concerned about what you had handed up...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I know it's already been said, but really: don't worry about it!!! It won't be an issue.

Okay, guys thanks for responding. I guess I should stop now! I'm sorry for being terribly neurotic, it's just well this funding is well life-changing really .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Of course! But dont worry, the references are a very small part of your overall evaluation. Your supervisors endorsement, transcript, and overall outline are what count.

The follow up reports dont even ask for any citations!

So what happened?

Didn't get it unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that.

Advertisement