Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wrong amount debited

Options
  • 06-03-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

heya

my gf bought something the other day in town, a small item for 5.45, paid on laser.

when she checked her account today, 54.50 had been debited.

presumably the salesperson accidently hit the 0 at the end.

she didn't check at the time, and didn't keep the receipt, as it was such a small purchase.

the shop is a big shop, would have hundreds of such transactions in a day, there'd be no way to prove what happened.

the laser machine wasn't hooked up to the till, so there's no way to reconcile the till records like that.

any thoughts, or just chalk it down to experience?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You can understand how it happened alright, Im also a fecker for not looking at what amount Im entering my pin for...

Without a receipt for her items or the laser card, she doesnt really have a leg to stand on, but there is no harm in going back and discussing it with a manager of the store. See if the till was up that evening, which it ought to have been. Perhaps he/she might be willing to listen to her and check it out. It is a long shot, but nothing ventured etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

It will be tough without a receipt or a laser receipt but if the staff were willing to put a bit of effort in they should be able to match the laser transaction time with the till transaction time and see the error. Also, as OP said, the till should have been over €50 odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

it'd be hard to prove that you didn't intend to spend 54.50, but i know in work we have a facility for reprinting receipts. it can take a bit of trawling but it can be done.the only problem is if they do find it, proving what you bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

i'd say if there any way decent they'll sort this out for u. as said above they should of been 50 odd euro out so the manager should be aware of it so go in and ask to speak to him/her straight away and i reckon they'll deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Surely there should be no problem - the shop's own software will be able to link the debit number on her Laser bill with the credit for the purchase, and the purchase's bar code, in a matter of seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

something similiar happened to me before. the shop submit balancing statements to the bank and the bank reconcile these against your record.

Ring the bank and inform them what happened and within a week or so the excess amount debited from her account should be refunded, this was with AIB by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 colatie

Hi there would be no problem reconciling the two ,your gf bank statement will have the date of purchase on it and each individual till records the transactions for that day so they should be able to find the error no problem it should only take two minutes to search laser transactions for that day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

If its a very large store it will be difficult to do anything without a recipt. A smaller store and it would be a lot easier as a €50 difference is more noticeable on a turnover of €4k against a turnover of €40k.

Best thing to do is
    1. Ring bank & ask for exact time of transaction.

2. Ring store & ask if it could be checked giving time of transaction, till location if store had multiple locations & details of the items purchased. - Laser card # will also help store to identify receipt.

Should be easy enough to match till back up receipts to laser transaction times. Till receipt will show sale of 5.45 at same time of laser transaction of 54.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm pretty sure the till would have balanced, considering it goes by cash only. Debit and credit card transactions are essentially linked and would be dealt with seperately.

This isn't really an issue in larger shops etc. where you pay for what it has scanned..you can't hit an extra zero if you're not entering a price by hand. Till records do exist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When this happens you usually take the customer's card number and check what time they said the trans took place then check on the merchants copy for that number being used.

Get the time and till number from the terminal and check the till journal at that time to see if there is a trans for that amount less the 0.

Happens all the time when the terminal is not connected to the till. Pain in the ass but you get fast at sorting it out but usually by then the customer has threatened to sue!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement