Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legalities to change from 6.5x55 to 7mm08?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Ya hope to shoot in and organise fox shoot and race over to VCRAI shoot then :confused:

What are my chances?

I love a MOVING target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

clivej wrote: »
    I love a MOVING target.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

Resurrecting and old thread to ask if anyone knows who stocks 7mm08? and just out of general interest who do people find to best for variety of ammo stock?
    Thanks B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

That's a great help. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Why not just buy a .308 ? You can get ammo anywhere, everyone makes it, in all sorts of weights, you can buy milsurp fmj for plinking very cheaply. The only reason for the 7-08 was it could be used in countries and states where ownership of military calibered rifles was forbidden.

One reason not to buy a .308, is having shot deer with .270, .308, 6.5x55, .243, 300 win mag, 25-06 and 7mm08, I much preferred the 7mm08 and the Swede(with reloads).
    That's got to count for something?

7-08 is better in the wind, which is the hardest thing to judge when hunting, and less recoil, but not much good if you can't buy ammo, so yeah most likely I'll go with a .308

It's a pity calibre choice in Ireland has to be limited by availability of ammo. Variety is nice.

The 6.5 creedmoor seems to be getting extremely popular from what i have seen of it. Don't know much about it really but might be interesting if you can get the ammo.

But thats the major issue in ireland, getting the ammo. Which is why personally i stick with more common rounds like the .308, i would like a .30-06 but cannot justify buying one just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Who needs justification to buy a 30-06..... I've already convinced myself, now I just need to find the pennies, lots of pennies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

.308 isn't exactly cheap ammo here either. Just paid 75 euros[inc in that VAT & shipping] for 50 rounds of Hornaday steel match paper puncher.Cheapest I could find online.1.50 a round:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    .308 isn't exactly cheap ammo here either. Just paid 75 euros[inc in that VAT & shipping] for 50 rounds of Hornaday steel match paper puncher.Cheapest I could find online.1.50 a round:(

Yeah its daft. I don't know though, maybe if there was some way to reuse some of the components, like the brass, to reduce the cost. But thats just dreaming :mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

At €1.50 a shot I would find it painful to pull the trigger. That's why I like the 22 lr, there's a great selection of ammo and it's very cheap to shoot.

Obviously the. 308 would have far greater ballistic capabilities but it comes at a huge cost.

At €1.50 a shot I would find it painful to pull the trigger. That's why I like the 22 lr, there's a great selection of ammo and it's very cheap to shoot.

Obviously the. 308 would have far greater ballistic capabilities but it comes at a huge cost.

Huge cost ? 30r blaser ammo is something like 6 yoyos a bang and the heavy game calibres up to the 20 quid mark +.

But at least you can buy the .308 ammo, its on dealers shelves, the lesser used calibres can be a nightmare to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

gunny123 wrote: »
    Yeah its daft. I don't know though, maybe if there was some way to reuse some of the components, like the brass, to reduce the cost. But thats just dreaming :mad:.

Steel casings.ASFIK unreloadable.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement