Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Throttling connections and packetshaping

Options
  • 06-03-2009 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Has anybody noticed that download speed/throughput via port 119 or 563 has been drastically reduced over the last week. I am with Eircom and have been enjoying speeds of about 300kb/sec when downloading from the newsgroups.

However, I tried to download a copy of ubuntu the other day from the newsgroups and was getting throughput of only about 10kb/sec whereas download speeds via the web were getting the usual throughput of about 300Kb/sec. This is not a restriction at the news server end as using a different ISP gives much improved results.

This seems to me a classic case of them prioritising traffic and shaping news traffic to a trickle, and I can t believe that should be allowed without some sort of prior notice/warning?

I look forward to hearing from someone else who might be having the same issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

I'll hijack this thread.

I've notice the same thing with Smart tonight. Bandwidth is fine downloading from some sources. But torrents have slowed to 20KBps at best and rates are constantly rising and falling. <SNIP>so there is no problem at the other end. Encrypting torrent traffic doesn't help at all.

Anybody experiencing similar on Smart?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'll hijack this thread.

I've notice the same thing with Smart tonight. Bandwidth is fine downloading from some sources. But torrents have slowed to 20KBps at best and rates are constantly rising and falling. <SNIP> so there is no problem at the other end. Encrypting torrent traffic doesn't help at all.

Anybody experiencing similar on Smart?

No, Smart don't and have never throttled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Spear wrote: »
    No, Smart don't and have never throttled.

As a Smart user I'm well aware. That's not to say they never will, which is the point of my post.

I'm asking if Smart have STARTED doing so very recently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As a Smart user I'm well aware. That's not to say they never will, which is the point of my post.

Not that they've said or I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

SaffaNick wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed that download speed/throughput via port 119 or 563 has been drastically reduced over the last week. I am with Eircom and have been enjoying speeds of about 300kb/sec when downloading from the newsgroups.

However, I tried to download a copy of ubuntu the other day from the newsgroups and was getting throughput of only about 10kb/sec whereas download speeds via the web were getting the usual throughput of about 300Kb/sec. This is not a restriction at the news server end as using a different ISP gives much improved results.

This seems to me a classic case of them prioritising traffic and shaping news traffic to a trickle, and I can t believe that should be allowed without some sort of prior notice/warning?

I look forward to hearing from someone else who might be having the same issue.

You are coming to the conclusion that Eirc0n are throttling you because your speeds have dropped? Have you checked the route from your IP to the newsgroups servers? If so, are there any bottlenecks? Just because the speeds are quick with another ISP doesn't automatically mean that Eirc0n are throttling you.A lot has to do with the path from you the the ng servers. Can you choose an alternative path from your newsgroup config page? I know usernetserver offer this feature as it's great as sometimes one path will crawl and you just choose another.

btw, the thread title is a bit ott without any hard evidence. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Eircom connections to a certain newsgroup provider have been slow all week yet its only when using a home package. the same server on a eircom business line is getting full speed. However, whats strange about it is when you use a home connection to access their us server you still get full speed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SaffaNick

Just to let you know I am seeing this on a 7MB business package as well as the home 3MB starter pack. As far as routes go, this issue is affecting the local European Servers and the US Servers so it doesn't seem restrictive to a particular route to a NewsGroup server.

I am using Giganews and over the last 3months and not received anything so much as a blip in their service which leads me to believe that the problem really does lie with the ISP.

More than that, there's very little troubleshooting I can do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

SaffaNick wrote: »
    Just to let you know I am seeing this on a 7MB business package as well as the home 3MB starter pack. As far as routes go, this issue is affecting the local European Servers and the US Servers so it doesn't seem restrictive to a particular route to a NewsGroup server.

I am using Giganews and over the last 3months and not received anything so much as a blip in their service which leads me to believe that the problem really does lie with the ISP.

More than that, there's very little troubleshooting I can do

Well im also using giganews and Im getting full speed on a 12Mb business connection. The same laptop at home on my 3mb home connection struggles to get past 20KB/s on the eu server ONLY. I still get full whack on their US one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

No we have not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

crawler wrote: »
    No we have not.

Thanks for clarifying, I though that was the case.

If anything, the opposite is true. I've had to restrict my torrent speeds, as I don't like them to max out the connection. It causes problems for browsing and other use, especially when the upload is unrestricted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

jor el wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying, I though that was the case.

Can the same be said about Eircom tho? I've witnessed this on a 7Mb Eircom business bb connection. But on a BT account from giganews the connection is maxed out.

On the 7mb Eircom connection I can download a service pack from Microsoft.com at 700kbps where the giganews speed is 10-20kbps. It does appear to be throttling certain types of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

crawler wrote: »
    No we have not.

I thought you were digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

Last week I was using the U.S giganews server getting worst speeds ever, changed to the E.U server and connection maxed out again also using Eircom.

Advertisement