Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Mymail Trial

• 06-03-2009 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Got an email from Meteor today,
    Hi there,

Thanks so much for registering your interest in being on the MyMail trial for Meteor.

We are delighted to let you know that you have been selected to take part in this trial.

We will be in contact with you very soon to get you started with MyMail.

Meteor MyMail Trial Team

Anyone know what this is going to entail? Do you think they'll make me pay for any data usage during this trial?

I think it's a service (software or not I don't know) that allows you to check gmail., yahoo, hotmail etc, from your phone.

Nothing I can't already do from my N95, but could be interesting if done right.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Where did you register your interest for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

what's wrong with the pop3/imap clients in most phones? they trying to make email look like a separate 'service' they offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I got same email, not sure where i signed up, must have been months ago. Probably the meteor website?
    Thought i checked a box about testing their mobile broadband a while back, Can check mail already on my phone, not sure what's involved in this trial,
    If they charge me anything for using this trial, i'll be telling them where to stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Oh it was on one of those surveys, there's some survey company running questionnaires online on behalf of meteor, there was a link on the meteor website last month for it, and during the survey asked would I be interested in trialing things for them..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Damn.

A missed meteor focus group opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Thank you for registering your interest in being part of the Meteor trial of the MyMail service.

We are delighted to tell you that you have been selected for the trial! Congratulations!

Remember what you can do using MyMail?

MyMail is a mobile phone service that allows you to access and manage your internet e-mail accounts from one central location on your mobile phone. You can register multiple e-mail accounts (e.g. hotmail, Yahoo, eircom.net, g-mail) in one place and read, reply, delete and compose e-mail messages using your mobile phone.

You just set up the service using your laptop/PC and from then onwards you can access your e-mail account directly from your mobile phone without logging in each time. There is no charge for this service over and beyond the standard charges for using the internet on your mobile.

In order to get you set up using this service, you will need to register your e-mail accounts with MyMail. You can do this in one of the following 2 ways:

1. From your PC via the following link: http://www.mym1.ie/meteor4/testreg.aspx

-When you click on this link, you’ll be asked for your e-mail address, username and password for each e-mail address you wish to register (note: hotmail accounts should have been accessed within the last 6 months);

-You’ll then get a text message to your phone with a direct link to the MyMail service;

-This is the link which you will need to use every time you want to check your MyMail;

Note: the text message will be sent from the following number +447781484000.

OR

2. From your mobile phone via the following link: http://www.mym1.ie/meteor4/default.aspx?e=50919

-Go to Meteor’s Mobile Internet Homepage i.e. either click on the Globe icon on the screen of your mobile phone, or click on ‘Meteor’ on the bottom right of your mobile phone screen

-Next, go to “options” and then “go to web address”

-Type in the following web address: http://www.mym1.ie/meteor4/default.aspx?e=50919

- Click ‘ok’ or ‘go to’

-You’ll be asked for your e-mail address, username and password for each e-mail address you wish to register (note: hotmail accounts should have been accessed within the last 6 months);

-You’ll then get a text message to your phone with a direct link to the MyMail service.

-This is the link which you will need to use every time you want to check your MyMail.

Note: the text message will come from the following number +447781484000.

That’s it! You have then set up MyMail and are ready to use the service.

Remember: There is no charge for this service over and beyond the standard charges for using the Internet on your mobile.

Prepay customers: http://www.meteor.ie/mobileinternet/payg_pricing/

Billpay customers: http://www.meteor.ie/mobileinternet/bp_pricing/

The Meteor MyMail Trial Team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

What address did it come from? All seems very dodge. They need to go back to school and learn how to spell too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

it does seem a bit dodgy... why did they register a new domain mym1.ie and not use their current one... they could have used meteor.ie/mymail or something.

Also, theyre an irish phone company and theyre sending you a link from an english mobile number (an O2 one at that going by the 077 prefix)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It doesn't make any sense why Meteor would offer a product like this when it competes directly with their push email service, Meteor Mobile Email.

I thought it looked very dodgy too, but I didn't see any of the spelling mistakes that the other poster did. Maybe I'd better go back to school as well! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

http://www.mym1.ie/meteor4/testreg.aspx

hardly a confidence inspiring url, but guess it is trial.

whois gives Eyecom Technologies Ltd (http://www.eyecom.ie/), hosted on digweb

http://www.domainregistry.ie/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?whois=mym1.ie&Search.x=28&Search.y=9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Has anyone thought to ring customer care to verify the emails?

Cable wrote: »
    Has anyone thought to ring customer care to verify the emails?

Customer Care would most likely not be aware of the trial; this is based upon the common consensus from other users on Boards from their experience with Customer Care in general, not just with Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

The address of the email is productideas@meteor.ie it's not a scam I think I remember signing up for this a while ago. The thing doesn't work for me just keeps asking me to submit my password again.... not a great start so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    The address of the email is productideas@meteor.ie it's not a scam I think I remember signing up for this a while ago. The thing doesn't work for me just keeps asking me to submit my password again.... not a great start so far

bit of very very simple php and some web hosting and I can send you an email from any email address I like..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Meteor My Mail

Hi,

I work for Meteor and am involved in the trial. Just want to confirm that it is genuine.

If you are on the trial and are having problems you can email productideas@meteor.ie. Your feedback is really appreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Hi,

I work for Meteor and am involved in the trial. Just want to confirm that it is genuine.

If you are on the trial and are having problems you can email productideas@meteor.ie. Your feedback is really appreciated.

In fairness that means nothing.

If I'm bothered later I'll register an account and tell people that the trial is not real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Right, I emailed Meteor about this trial thing.

I asked
    Would you be able to advise if the emails quoted in this thread on Boards.ie are genuine?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055506299

Their response
    I apologise for the delay in reverting back to you. I can confirm this is a trial run by Meteor and invitee’s were selected from customer’s who registered their interest in becoming part of this trial last month.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us on free phone 1905 or by e-mail to info@meteor.ie .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Im still a little confused to what it actually is? I mean you already have a meteor email address? They have the email add on thingy. Is this not competing with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Isn't the whole meteor email address thingy a bit of a non runner nowadays though, or do people use that still?

I tried it the other night and had issues, getting error messages. Have been told problems are fixed but still getting same error messages and following instructions to a T.. anyone else on the trial?

Cable wrote: »
    Im still a little confused to what it actually is? I mean you already have a meteor email address? They have the email add on thingy. Is this not competing with them?

From what has appeared on this thread, it appears to be a free email client application that supports multiple email accounts simultaneously. How this will cut into their push email solution, Meteor Mobile Email, is beyond me, but as I said before, it seems as if they’re shooting themselves in the foot given that MyMail is free. They might, however, charge for MyMail once it is out of the trial phase, so anything is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Does anyone know how to disable mymail? It's totally brutal and I'm sick of logging in to my email accounts on my pc and seeing emails marked as read even though I haven't.

Advertisement