Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bell X1 Defector talking heads vibe.

Options
  • 06-03-2009 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Anyone getting a distinctly David Byrne/Talking Heads feel from Bell X1's The Great Defector.

Not a bad thing admittedly.
    I like the song.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

I think its an awesome song! Not usually my cup of tea but its growin on me!

Favourite line:

'you're the chocolate at the end of my... Corrrrnett-o'
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Ha, funny you mention this. Thats the first thing my dad said!

After hearing Talking Heads i can see where your coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Everyone and their mother has said this about the song. And it has that vibe about it. Noonan has admitted it's "dangerously close". Im amazed 4 posts in and someone hasnt come on and rolled out the whole rippin off Talking Heads line. Fair play to OP for not going straight to that conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I thought the same thing too. But more along the lines of it being a p!ss poor Talking Heads imitation. Hate the song myself. The lyrics are tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Hah i've been saying this for months now and i still stand by it. I won't say it's a "blatant ripoff", as it's hard to be original in an industry that's been done to death. Every band has done it at this stage.

At least Noonan stepped up and admitted that the similarities were there, which is all an artist can really ask for. Sadly this doesn't always happen, and that's when the lawsuits come into play. But a little recognition does go a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It sounds EXACTLY like Talking Heads; the music and vocals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

That was my first reaction within 30 seconds of getting the preview copy.

Not necessarily a bad thing, though.....it's a decent enough song.

Now if only we could get an "imitator" for the original U2 and stop them releasing rubbish like "Get on Your Boots" we'd be sorted! Have only played that once over the last 4 weeks - because it's crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

It sounds EXACTLY like Talking Heads; the music and vocals.

Yeah, it is uncanny tbh.
    I admit i thought it was David Byrne when i first heard it as well.
    It's good but i'm ambivalent about it.
    I mean- it's TH,
    but it's not...
    (and it's TH-ness is the best thing about it).
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I think it sounds a bit like Clap your hands and say Yeah! and well as TAlking Heads, but sure dosnt nearly everything in the charts sound like something else??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

it's 'homage' isn't it; kinda like Bohemian Like You by the Dandy Warhols bore more than a passing resemblance to Brown Sugar by the Stones...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I don't know where this "BellX1 are a Talking Heads rip-off act" baloney has come from...I could go through all 4 albums that they've released and maybe pick 3 or 4 songs that sound like David Byrne & co. (and I am a fan, and have all albums so I know what I'm talking about, unlike some who listen to 1 song and draw conclusions)...

But then I think they are the best band in Ireland at the mo, so I would say that wouldnt I? ;) Not having a pop at you OP at all, more the casual listeners who dont actually listen to their albums in full, just whatever they hear on the radio and say "Oh thats that then, they're a rip-off!!!" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

David Byrne has got better things to be worrying about than this sh*t

Advertisement