Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should a Big Four Club Put In a Bid For Stephen Ireland Pre Season?

• 06-03-2009 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

He has been without a doubt one of the best midfielders in the League this season, and is without a doubt a superior player to Ashley Young too.

He's been running the show for City all season and has easily been there star performer. He's had 7 goals and 7 assists in the league. He's a better player than Robinho and Wright Philips, both players who have played at two of the biggest clubs in the world.

He's a skillful player, can pick a pass and a tireless worker. Only 22 aswell.

He'd be a great buy for Man Utd imo. Nani looks like he'll need another few years. Ireland on the left and Ronaldo on the right.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He is with the richest club in football. A team that you would expect to be challenging for the title in the next year or two at the most. I don't see why he would leave Man City now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Fantastic player and I'd love to see him at Utd.(never gonna happen though) But left side? No way imo, has he even ever played there? He's much more effictive through the middle. He offers alot defensivly as well as going forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Don't think he's going anywhere , but Chelsea would be mad not to bid for him to replace Ballack imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He's not better than Robinho and CHD, surely Essien will replace Ballack in the first team soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

liverpool are the only top 4 side that has a gap in their squad for a player like him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As a central midfielder, i don't see how he would fit into any of the 'big four'. United wouldn't take him (and city wouldn't sell to United) as we have Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson, Fletcher, Scholes for CM. He wouldn't get in the Arsenal side ahead of Fabregas and he wouldn't get in the Liverpool side ahead of Gerrard. Liverpool could use him as a replacement for Alonso, beside Mascherano, if they play Gerrard off Torres. Dunno if they would want to do that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

slingerz wrote: »
    liverpool are the only top 4 side that has a gap in their squad for a player like him

They do?

He is a quality player but I imagine that there is very little any of the big 4 could do to tempt him away from City. It doesn't look like he wants to leave and City would be stupid to try and replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

He wouldn't get in the Arsenal side ahead of Fabregas

He'd get in ahead of Song/ Denilson or Diaby though so I'd happily take him :D

Frisbee wrote: »

But it's a different position. I think United would be the one he's best suited for because he'd never get in a team ahead of fat Frank, Gerrard would have to move out to the right for him, Arshavin and Fabregas, he'd be having a laugh whereas United recently played Giggs in that role and Scholes will be gone shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

City are going to double his wages to £60,000 a week apparently so that should be enough to scare off some of the bigger clubs who will have to beat that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As a central midfielder, i don't see how he would fit into any of the 'big four'. United wouldn't take him (and city wouldn't sell to United) as we have Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson, Fletcher, Scholes for CM. He wouldn't get in the Arsenal side ahead of Fabregas and he wouldn't get in the Liverpool side ahead of Gerrard. Liverpool could use him as a replacement for Alonso, beside Mascherano, if they play Gerrard off Torres. Dunno if they would want to do that though.
    How many of them have been equal or better than Stephen Ireland this season?
    I don't think any of them have been better, imo he has been better than any midfielder mentioned above bar maybe Gerard.

redout wrote: »
    City are going to double his wages to £60,000 a week apparently so that should be enough to scare off some of the bigger clubs who will have to beat that.

I very much doubt that 60k would be the stumbling block..

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think any of them have been better, imo he has been better than any midfielder mentioned above bar maybe Gerard.

You aren't wrong but it would be changing for changing sakes effectively.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Bubs, i reckon Essien wil be doing the Makelele role. Best place on the park for him, he will win titles for Chelsea. Essien is God.

for a central midfield partnership of Fabregas and Ireland - creative but incredibly lightweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

7 pages.

eagle eye wrote: »
    That doesn't matter. Chelsea won't dump Lampard. Liverpool wouldn't dump Gerrard. United won't give up on or dump Anderson, Carrick or Hargreaves. Giggs and Scholes will still get games next season. Fabregas is a much better player than him imo, and would keep his place.

Formation/squad wise I think United and Liverpool could possibly do with him, but in United's case it will never happen as City wouldn't sell and he isn't a player that we really really need either. Liverpool is a possibility, but it would involve playing a more restrained role imo, and the dumping of Alonso, which would send out a poor message imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Don't rate him that highly TBH. Think he's at a level that suits him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Charlie wrote: »
    7 pages.

40 posts per page ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

There should and probably will be bids but he won't leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd love him at United. He's got incredible ability. With Gigsg and Scholes playing less and less of a role, I'd love to see him come in. I'd say him and Anderson would form a lovely little attacking midfield duo.

Along with Ashley Young, they are probably the only two players outside the top 4 that I'd want in my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Essien in Makelele's role would be an appalling waste of his talent.

I would take him at Liverpool in a second. Gerrard can't go on forever and he can take Alonso and Gerrard's place in the team depending on the game. Not a hope in hell of it happening though.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Bubs101 wrote: »
    He's not better than Robinho and CHD,
    Strange, he's played far better than him this season. Who is CHD?
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    But it's a different position. I think United would be the one he's best suited for because he'd never get in a team ahead of fat Frank, Gerrard would have to move out to the right for him, Arshavin and Fabregas, he'd be having a laugh whereas United recently played Giggs in that role and Scholes will be gone shortly
    Where is your evidence to support that he's not near as good as Arshavin. Arshavin had three or four great games at the Euros and has started well for Arsenal. Steven Ireland has been arguably the best midfielder in the league this season after Carrick, Lampard and Gerard. He's also got seven goals and seven assists.

I think he'd be great at United (he could play beside hargreaves/Carrick or Anderson in the middle) and I also think it's funny how some people in this thread underestimate his talent just because his name doesn't end in 'o' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

All teams are allowed have good players you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

JPA wrote: »
    All teams are allowed have good players you know.
    Not usually in the PL. But he probably won't leave City with the money they have now. Mightn't stop teams trying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

K4t wrote: »
    Not usually in the PL. But he probably won't leave City with the money they have now. Mightn't stop teams trying though.

He 100% won't leave so.... good thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Essien in Makelele's role would be an appalling waste of his talent.,

yeah i would agree imo essien is the best midfielder chelsea have.complete midfielder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I don't care whether he signs for another club. I just want him back in the Irish set-up as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

flyswatter wrote: »
    I don't care whether he signs for another club. I just want him back in the Irish set-up as soon as possible.

aw here it goes:pac:

• Advertisement

Strange, he's played far better than him this season.
    You seriously think he's better than Robinho? Good lord. First of all, It's very arguable if he has played better than him this season, let alone far better. Robinho's City's top scorer and has been magnificent.Secondly, A players talent is not summed judged by 3/4 of a season, it's judged on what he has done in the past as well. What has Ireland done? Sweet F all. What has Robinho done, a hell of a lot. If you were to ask would Robinho make it into the top 4 you'd get a resounding yes from all 4 sets of fans. So far you only have murmirings of maybe from Man Utd.
    Where is your evidence to support that he's not near as good as Arshavin. Arshavin had three or four great games at the Euros and has started well for Arsenal. Steven Ireland has been arguably the best midfielder in the league this season after Carrick, Lampard and Gerard. He's also got seven goals and seven assists.

Like I said above, a players talent is not summed up in 3/4 of a season. Arshavin has won a Uefa cup, is a former Russian player of the year and made the Euro 2008 dream team. To say he was only good in Euro 2008 is idiocy. He was great in their Uefa Cup run, dismantled Man Utd in the Super Cup and was a bright spot in Zenit's CL run. Steven Ireland has had a standout year in an underperforming team. Big difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Vs Villa the other night i have to say Stepehen Ireland was everywhere, he has turned into a quality player and imo if he was English would be the clear favourite for POTY so far but he has absolutley zero reason to leave man city atm and he wont either. As good as he is, im sure he isnt worth the crazy price City would probably demand yet and even if City were to sign someone like Kaka id still expect Sparky to start Ireland in most games after how good hes been so far this season unless his form dipped.

If Villa didnt sell Gareth Barry to a top four club that they hope to challenge because they didnt need the money on offer unless it was silly money, then what really makes anyone think City would even contemplate the doing the same thing with the younger Stephen Ireland that has shown no inclination towards leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

First post in this forum so be easy on me although this shouldn't be very controversial.

One good season doesn't make him a great player just yet. We all have seen players who had one great season then got a huge contract with a top club and were never able to repeat the same, hardly ever made the starting 11 in that top club. Let's wait and see. I think he is clearly comfortable where he is and he should rather try and string a few good seasons together. Especially since City clearly has ambitions.
    Pity he wouldn't play for Ireland, international experience wouldn't do him any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

slingerz wrote: »

Are you nuts? Liverpool have the best central midfield combinations of any of the top four, at least in terms of fitness and ability. Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano are who I am referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol keep yisser filthy hands to yisser selves.

IN7191854Manchester-_91602t.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »

Nice jersey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Calm down, he's not that good ffs, and the pointless comparisons to SWP, Ashley Young and Robinho are laughable. I'd still take all three ahead of Stephen Ireland.

If he's still performing to this level next season and beyond, I'll hop on the bandwagon but until then he's just an above average player in a struggling midtable side.

Savman wrote: »
    Calm down, he's not that good ffs, and the pointless comparisons to SWP, Ashley Young and Robinho are laughable. I'd still take all three ahead of Stephen Ireland.

If he's still performing to this level next season and beyond, I'll hop on the bandwagon but until then he's just an above average player in a struggling midtable side.

:confused:

We're inconsistent but 'struggling'? We're not West Brom for feck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

realcam wrote: »
    First post in this forum so be easy on me although this shouldn't be very controversial.

One good season doesn't make him a great player just yet. We all have seen players who had one great season then got a huge contract with a top club and were never able to repeat the same, hardly ever made the starting 11 in that top club. Let's wait and see. I think he is clearly comfortable where he is and he should rather try and string a few good seasons together. Especially since City clearly has ambitions.
    Pity he wouldn't play for Ireland, international experience wouldn't do him any harm.
    In fairness I'd have thought he wouldn't look out of place in any team in the world last season even. He put in 2 motm outstanding against Man Utd too if I remember. I had him on par with Niko Krancjar in the 10m bracket. He's way ahead of that now.

He's always been a brilliant player but playing in a poor Man City team that plays long balls and defends for most of the game is not going to suit him. Sven changed that.

Anyone that doubts him as a footballer is a bit crazy tbh.

btw, I still wouldn't be looking at him as a central midfielder. He's a Kaka type and if he was trained and playing in Italy or Spain he'd have the same role as Kaka too. Ireland is a genius in the final 3rd but he just doesn't have the positional sense of a central midfielder. We saw that away to Cyprus when Kilbane was beside him because Kilbane relies completely on his teammates for positioning on a pitch. So the pair of them didn't really know where to be and Cyprus caught us on the break with virtually every attack. That's not a criticism of Ireland. Scholes would probably have been the same at that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

he would be a flop at a top 4 club, just like robbie keane was

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Man, don't mean to go off topic or anything, but that is a horrible kit.

Anyway, I seriously doubt he'll be leaving City any time soon tbh, unless they buy everyone in the summer.

• Advertisement

Nice jersey
    Man, don't mean to go off topic or anything, but that is a horrible kit.

Yep it's truly rotten, and I haven't purchased it.

On a side note I read a stat yesterday that says we haven't won a league game in a change kit since August 2007 and the 2-0 against West Ham. All our away wins since then (Newcastle, Man United, Sunderland last season and Sunderland this season) have been in blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Yep it's truly rotten, and I haven't purchased it.

On a side note I read a stat yesterday that says we haven't won a league game in a change kit since August 2007 and the 2-0 against West Ham. All our away wins since then (Newcastle, Man United, Sunderland last season and Sunderland this season) have been in blue.

Excuses,excuses:pac:

:confused:

We're inconsistent but 'struggling'?
    Keep tellin yerself that ;)
    It's relative to the overall expectations at City compared to someone like West Brom.

Keep tellin yerself that ;)
    It's relative to the overall expectations at City compared to someone like West Brom.

What expectations? To finish in the top 6? We're two places off that and could realistically end up 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Get in a World Class Coach + Whole summer in transfer market.

Ireland could be a top 4 player next season.

These new owners arn't fúckíng around cash wise, as we have seen.

There needs to be a cull at the club, alot of dross picking up handy money if you go through the squad.

Someone like Ancelotti given a summer of spending and preseason could well steer them up the league.

Hughes as much as I like the guy is not the man to do it.

What expectations? .
    The ones that come with being the world's richest club. Being crap away from home is the trademark of a 'struggling' team, a rose by any other name....

Anyway back OT, I have my doubts how good Ireland would be at a CL-level club so I'm on the fence for the next while.

The ones that come with being the world's richest club.

Media created expectations tbh.
    Being crap away from home is the trademark of a 'struggling' team, a rose by any other name....

And being great at home is the trademark of a 'great' team so add them up, divide by 2 and you get a nice average of 8th spot, i.e. above midtable. Certainly not struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Stephen Ireland is top class this season and has performed consistantly better than the likes of Young. I dont see anyone else who could realistically win the PFA young player of the year in fairness. I would take him to United in a heartbeat. Put him in Uniteds midfield in the Scholes position with Hargreaves/Carrick taking care of the defence side and I think he would flourish. The best outfield Irish player we have by a country mile. Those who said he would be a failure at a top 4 club are talking crap. Keane is a basket case who needs to be told he is important and needs to play all the time be it with Ireland/Liverpool/Spurs. Stephen Ireland does not come across like that at all. Its only a matter of time before big offers come in for Ireland. Arsenal weremaking enquiries about him during the summer/January transfer window no ? How many Iris players ever get linked to a big club ? F ALL would be the answer because most of them are nothing more than average.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

weve had 3 pages already where are the pics of his cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

redout wrote: »
    Keane is a basket case ... Stephen Ireland does not come across like that at all.

what ?

if anyone is a basket case , then it's ireland.
    he has proved this many times over the last few years.
    for example not being able to take a slagging from his team mates over his hair, the pink trim on his range rover, the granny lies.
    he is quite clearly nuts and hasn't got two brain cells to rub together.

edit

bounty is right, we need pics, here you go
    http://laughlinmoore.blogspot.com/2008/07/wtf.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement