Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

three network ending "for life" offer

Options
  • 06-03-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

this is posted in rip-off ireland but is probably better off here because three have decided to end an offer which they advertised and sold as being "for life" meaning as long as you remain a three customer and remain on the three-pay priceplan.

the original offer was for 5cent text, picture and video messages forever http://www.three.ie/company/3pay-5c-terms.html
    5cent rate forever

* The following terms and conditions of the offer whereby you can send text, picture and video messages at our standard rate of 5c forever (the "Messaging Offer ") are in addition to and form part of the Terms for 3 Services which are available at three.ie. In the event of any conflict the terms and conditions below shall prevail.
    * The Messaging Offer is available to customers who connect to a 3Pay prepaid service until 30th June 2007, unless the final registration date is brought forward or extended by 3 at its sole discretion. The rate under the Messaging Offer shall permanently cease to apply if you cease to be a customer of the eligible 3Pay service for any reason. The Messaging Offer will not apply in addition to any other offer or promotion which includes text messages, photo messages or video messages.
    * The Messaging Offer applies to text messages (SMS), photo messages (MMS) and video messages (VMS) sent from within the Republic of Ireland ("Ireland") to any mobile or fixed line numbers of networks in Ireland. The Messaging Offer does not apply to messages sent to directory enquiry, premium rate, WAP, ISP or MISP numbers.
    * Fair Use Policy - Your use is subject to monthly fair use limits of 1,000 text messages, 150 picture messages or 150 video messages. If you exceed any of these fair use limits, we will inform you of your excessive use and 3 reserves the right and make you ineligible for the Messaging Offer or disconnect your 3Pay service.
    This fair use policy will not apply during any period when 3’s standard rate for text, photo and video messages is equal to or lower than 5c.
    * This Messaging Offer will not apply to messages you send using Prolinks, SIM boxes or any device which diverts/transfers messages to multiple mobile numbers or if you send bulk messages for a commercial purpose.
    three are now claiming that all prepay customers will be switched to the new price plan from april 5th but surely this is illegal for customers who retain the 5cent messaging offer?

what do you think of this? are three within their rights by giving one months notice and allowing customers out of their contracts "without penalty" except for the cost of their handsets? is this penny pinching a sign of things to come?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Usually a "Terms & conditions apply, 3 reserve the right to..." yada yada yada in the contract somewhere.

Contracts are for the benefit of the employer/providor never the employee/customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

iMax wrote: »
    Usually a "Terms & conditions apply, 3 reserve the right to..." yada yada yada in the contract somewhere.

Contracts are for the benefit of the employer/providor never the employee/customer
    that is covered by the 1st paragraph of the terms and conditions quoted above
    * The following terms and conditions of the offer whereby you can send text, picture and video messages at our standard rate of 5c forever (the "Messaging Offer ") are in addition to and form part of the Terms for 3 Services which are available at three.ie. In the event of any conflict the terms and conditions below shall prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I was really disgusted to see them forcing this new price plan on us 3pay customers. That rip off 1 euro per day "special" pay as you go tariff obviously wasn't attracting a lot of interest, so they decide to force these price increases on us!

It used to be 18c/min for a call, now it's 30c - that's a crazy increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

eth0_ wrote: »
    I was really disgusted to see them forcing this new price plan on us 3pay customers. That rip off 1 euro per day "special" pay as you go tariff obviously wasn't attracting a lot of interest, so they decide to force these price increases on us!

It used to be 18c/min for a call, now it's 30c - that's a crazy increase.

personally dont know why you are with them anyways?(ps im not attacking you)

I was with them and an average months bill was €100, went to meteor and 02 in the next two years following and none of my bills have been above €50 for roughly same usage.

personally dont know why you are with them anyways?(ps im not attacking you)

I was with them and an average months bill was €100, went to meteor and 02 in the next two years following and none of my bills have been above €50 for roughly same usage.
    no other network has 5cent video, picture and text messages. picture and video messages are now increasing by 25cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

May be way wide of the mark, but found in the past that 'for life' doesn't refer to your lifespan, but the lifespan of the contract under their terms.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    May be way wide of the mark, but found in the past that 'for life' doesn't refer to your lifespan, but the lifespan of the contract under their terms.
    yes indeed like the meteor free text for life offer, three's offer was/is supposed to remain in place once you remain a three-pay customer on their network and on the same three-pay price plan but like with the meteor offer three can not simply remove that particular price plan as there are people on it that are entitled to be on it for as long as they remain three customers according to three's own terms and conditions.

also this will only affect people that bought their three-pay phones before april 2007 as this offer ended then

a quick update, just heard from three and customers on earlier prepay plans with messaging offers or call offers etc will be allowed stay on their particular plans with all their call and message charges remaining unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

So was sending out the message to them a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    a quick update, just heard from three and customers on earlier prepay plans with messaging offers or call offers etc will be allowed stay on their particular plans with all their call and message charges remaining unchanged.

That would make sense as its the norm with other operators, once you opt in to a certain they let you stay with it. Which 3 even have done before with their monthly price plans, but as sam said why would they sent out a text to everyone if they weren't planning on forcing everyone already on the plan to pay the new rates.

For their own sack i hope they let everyone on the plan remain at the same rates,,, i wont hold my breath just yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't believe that for a minute. Did some goon in India tell you that? I guarantee you they won't put that in writing :)

PAYG customers aren't on any particular 'offer' - 18c calls and 5c text/video/picture messages are just the tariff.

PAYG customers aren't on any particular 'offer' - 18c calls and 5c text/video/picture messages are just the tariff.

example would be o2. When they brought out o2 experience plans anyone on speakeasy/nightowl could stay on it, once they moved they couldn't move back. Why couldn't 3 adopt the same approach. I know its not the exact same scenario but for their own benefit they should imo

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    So was sending out the message to them a mistake?
    no the message they sent to customers about the new price plan was intended(from what their customer care staff kept telling me) but they reviewed the descision and customers on older prepay plans are now not included and can presumably opt in to the new charges(if they are mad)
    I don't believe that for a minute. Did some goon in India tell you that? I guarantee you they won't put that in writing :)

an irish guy possibly from their offices in Dublin, and many older customers are on what is called "5cent messaging forever" which would be similar to meteor's "free text & mms for life" promotion.

glad it is sorted now though and it probably had a lot to do with the national consumer agency's commercial practices division which were looking into it.

no the message they sent to customers about the new price plan was intended(from what their customer care staff kept telling me) but they reviewed the descision and customers on older prepay plans are now not included and can presumably opt in to the new charges(if they are mad)

I'll believe it when I see it. I think if that were the case they would have sent another text out and I wouldn't be finding out from some guy on the net. Most likely they'll "accidentally" switch everyone and switch back the very few people who know they're not allowed do it and complain about it

I'll believe it when I see it. I think if that were the case they would have sent another text out and I wouldn't be finding out from some guy on the net. Most likely they'll "accidentally" switch everyone and switch back the very few people who know they're not allowed do it and complain about it
    i think they will now not change people on older plans as the national consumer agency are involved and their commercial practices branch would have a lot to say about the way three were intending to operate in this instance.

but after saying that i will be watching very closely every move three make as they have shown in the past that they have little or no regard for their customers rights regarding credit and add-ons and will only reverse incorrect charges after the intervention of ComReg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

i think they will now not change people on older plans as the national consumer agency are involved and their commercial practices branch would have a lot to say about the way three were intending to operate in this instance.
    3 don't care about their customers, the NCA or even the courts. That much has been shown from their 3 fraudband service.

3 don't care about their customers
    i just had a call from three and ended up callling them back as they basically contradicted everything i was told on the phone the last day i spoke to their irish representative.

they told me that the price would be changing as there was no notes on my account stating that the price was not changing(proper records not being kept on customer accounts!). what a shower!

i still have the number of the guy that told me the price would remain unchanged so maybe a call to him now would be appropriate as three think it is ok to ring me and argue with me for 20 minutes on our national holiday!

i can only think from their actions today that they are desperate to get people on more expensive plans and will lie and cheat to get people to give up their entitlement to the older price plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I'm just wondering can you get out of this new price plan if you ring them? I've been with 3 for about 4 years & I'm switching service providers if not!

MoonDancer wrote: »
    I'm just wondering can you get out of this new price plan if you ring them? I've been with 3 for about 4 years & I'm switching service providers if not!
    you should contact the national consumer agency as it is illegal for three to take the "5cent messaging forever" offer from customers but obviously they are going to take it from anyone that does not complain and insist on staying on their current plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Maybe it is time to move providers, because I can never get anywhere with them on the phone. Last time I called was about a recent upgrade to my modem & found out that they opened me a new account instead of an upgrade and gave me 2 bills a month & when I told them I want a refund, they flat out refused & told me it will take 30 days to cancel my old modem, which would mean a double bill again next month. Long story short, after 2 phone calls, and 50 mins on the phone I get next month free & my old modem cancelled straight away.
    I know 99c a day isn't a lot, but there are days I don't even use the phone, so I don't want to be charged for nothing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

just looking at their site - http://www.three.ie/priceplans/3pay-faqs.htm

"If I don’t opt in to the new price plan do I keep my 5c for life txt?
    Yes. However you will still be charged 35c for non “3 to 3” calls. If you change to the new plan you will only be charged 30c."

However, elsewhere on the site - http://www.three.ie/priceplans/3pay.htm - they say that if you move to 3pay now all texts are only 3cent - (but it doesn't say forever)

so if you only use 3 for texts and ringing non 3 customers the new offer is better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

I got a callback from a 3 supervisor today and was assured I can stay on the old plan and I asked the guy 3times just to make sure. Funny thing is that I called Three yesterday and the guy told me everyone will be switched even three employees.

I really think they cant switch u to the new plan if u insist on keeping your old plan but they will try everything to have u switched. They will switch u if u dont call them for sure and they will tell u that everyone will be switched regardless so u would just give up.

Again I am def. staying on the old plan 5cents text 18cents land line (i asked him specifically about that) and so on.

However I have a fairly large amount topped up and maybe thats why they agreed to let me keep the old plan because otherwise I would have sued them for the money and would have left. I am not sure about this and its just a guess.

Anyways if u dont call and insist on staying on the old plan (get a supervisor to call u back) I am pretty certain they will switch u automatically and there might not be any way back after that happened.

Good luck

OT but reading that page they say:
    Do I get any warnings that I’m about to run out of SMS or Weekend mins?
    Yes, we send you an SMS when you have used 90% of your add-on. For the 700 SMS, this will be sent when you only have 70 SMS remaining. For your 200 “Weekend Mins” we’ll send the SMS when you have 20 mins remaining. So you’ll never be caught without.
    Which is of course a load of crap. The way to ensure you'll never be caught without is to send you a text when you've used 100% of your add on. Sending it when you've used 90% pretty much guarantees that by the time it actually runs out you've totally forgot about the text and you go over. They give no warning when this happens.

Every month I used to get a text telling me my internet add on would run out at midnight two days from that point and every single month I forgot until half my credit was gone. Now I set a reminder because my numerous requests for a text at a sensible time have fallen on deaf on

I just called 3 again about this and got the agent to confirm absolutely that I won't be switched to the new tariff on the 5th and I recorded the call :D:pac:

I'd like to see them deny it now

Hope you told him to were recording for your sake,, otherwise its not worth a ****

Davy wrote: »
    Hope you told him to were recording for your sake,, otherwise its not worth a ****

No I didn't. I highly doubt he would have confirmed it if I did. That only really matters if you intend to use the recording in court. I can use it against the agents themselves if they deny there are any notes and I'm sure comreg would have a listen

I can't picture them using that as their defence in this case. They might win the court case but they'd be publicly caught out in a lie, which would be far more damaging than switching one customer back

I almost want them to switch me now so I can use it against them :D

I almost want them to switch me now so I can use it against them :D

Just think of it nearly like a 3 way conversation,, they wont know whats going on :D

Davy wrote: »
    Just think of it nearly like a 3 way conversation,, they wont know whats going on :D

Do they ever? :P

• Advertisement

i now have a text confirming that my price plan will remain the same and a promise of further written confirmation from 3 in dublin.

after the call on st patrick's day where they again agreed that changing a customers price plan when they have a "forever" offer was illegal yet argued for over 20 minutes with me that the plan would be changed i now hope they do mess me about too as i will enjoy the satisfaction of causing three as much bad publicity and headaches as i can.

Advertisement