Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants rent for days after I've moved out

Options
  • 06-03-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

hey,

ive been renting for a year and gave my landlord a months notice that i was moving out as the lease had ended. Everything was fine as regards that...but my moving date is occurring in the middle of the month. I calculated the rent for the days i would be here, but my landlord wants half a months rent for this month - which would basically be paying him for another 5days after ive left.
    Can he do this - i dont think its fair to expect to be paid for days im not even here, as i did give a full mths notice. If i was moving out at the end of the month i wouldnt have to pay for an extra few days into the next mth.
    Im also worried he will take it out of my deposit if i refuse to pay.
    Just appreciate some advice here. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not sure if he can do this, but 5 days rent is what? Maybe a €100? I know it's a decent sum of money, but how much deposit would you loose if you didn't pay it? I'm guessing maybe a months rent? May be easier just to pay the extra 5 days, get your deposit, and get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

thanks for the reply.
    it comes to an extra €150, which being as im unemployed right now, i really dont want to have to pay if i dont have to. It just doesnt seem fair to charge when im not even there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Just to clarify - you gave him a full month's notice (or however much notice the landlord is entitled to which might be 35 days or more depending on the length of your tenency) of your move out date which happens to be before the end of the month?

As far as I'm concerned, you only have to pay up to the end of your notice period.

Xiney wrote: »
    Just to clarify - you gave him a full month's notice (or however much notice the landlord is entitled to which might be 35 days or more depending on the length of your tenency) of your move out date which happens to be before the end of the month?

As far as I'm concerned, you only have to pay up to the end of your notice period.

I gave the notice 8th of feb, and i move out the 10th march. There was no problem at the time, it was just recently he wanted half the months rent. So he wants me to pay until the 15th of march.
    Ive only been there 1year, so i assumed the 1 month was fine, and that is what he asked for when i initially moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

do you have a written contract?

if not, then i think he is being unreasonable - but he may make life tricky for you by refusing to return your deposit etc - threshold may be of help in that case

if so, it may say "notice to be given on the N'th day of the month" in which case he is correct.... but this sounds unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

speedy2007 wrote: »
    hey,

ive been renting for a year and gave my landlord a months notice that i was moving out as the lease had ended.

Not trying to hijack your thread but is it even neccesary to give notice when you have a lease?
    Like say your lease is March 7th 2008 to March 7th 2009. Choosing todays date as an example.

Why do you need to give 30 or 35 notice day notice? You knew the move out date when you signed the contract surely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

because unless you give notice the landlord will assume you're staying, whether your lease is up or not.

silverside wrote: »
    do you have a written contract?

if not, then i think he is being unreasonable - but he may make life tricky for you by refusing to return your deposit etc - threshold may be of help in that case

if so, it may say "notice to be given on the N'th day of the month" in which case he is correct.... but this sounds unlikely

no i dont. It was advertised as 1yr lease however and he told me this when i moved in, but i was never asked to sign anything or given any written lease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

He's being a wanker and completely unreasonable.

Advertisement