Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government announces Paddies Day Junket Details

Options
  • 06-03-2009 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

From RTE.IE

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0306/stpatricksday.html
    The Government has announced the schedule of ministerial visits abroad for St Patrick's Day, which include North America, India, Australia and a number of European countries.

The Government says the number of visits this year has been halved due to the economic situation, with all Departments instructed to keep costs to a minimum.

In a statement this afternoon, the Taoiseach said he knew questions were raised about the value of these trips, but that St Patrick's Day gives Ireland 'a global platform that is the envy of practically every country in the world'.

AdvertisementMr Cowen and Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin are going to New York and Washington.

Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan is going to London, while Minister for Agriculture Brendan Smith is going to three German cities; Munich, Berlin and Dusseldorf.

Eamon O Cuiv, the Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, is going to Australia while four Ministers are also go to North America - Noel Dempsey, Minister for Transport to Toronto; Communications Minister Eamon Ryan to San Francisco and New York; Mary Hanafin, Minister of Social and Family Affairs, to Philadephia and Atlanta; and Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism Martin Cullen to Houston.

The Attorney General is going to Seattle, while some Junior Ministers are also going abroad.

To me this is a case of the lamentable excuse for a government we have giving us all the finger.

The country is in the crapper and we are all being told we have to cut back and get used to a lower standard of living yet there still seems to money to send our ministers jetting off around the world to engage in embarrassing cringe inducing acts of paddywhackery.

I actually feel physically sick about this.

How dare they give the people of this country 2 fingers like this.

Seriously, have they no shame at all ?

Unscrupulous and immoral are two of the kinder and less obsecene examples of the words that sprang to mind.

Have they a shred of moral authority left to continue in government at this stage ?

Comments

Might not be a popular view, but at the moment I feel that we really need these junkets as they are basically a big promotion for Ireland. We need investment, and these things are basically trade missions and a huge advertisement for the country abroad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

To be honest, if they went over there with buckets, made a collection for the poor Irish and came back with a few billion quid (that they put into the public purse of course and not simply squander), then it wouldn't be a bad thing.

But do they people of seattle really care if our AG visits them on Paddys day? I mean, are they going to ask him about Irish constitutional interpretation or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Might not be a popular view, but at the moment I feel that we really need these junkets as they are basically a big promotion for Ireland. We need investment, and these things are basically trade missions and a huge advertisement for the country abroad.

Is that not what we have the IDA, Enterprise Ireland and Bord Bia for?
    I do agree senior ministers should go though, I'd be more concerned about county councillors going on similar trips. Now there is real waste!

Are any ministers staying behind? Like if there is a national security threat who is in charge?
    Edit: Seems to be the Tánaiste this year after the reading the article

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Where are the FAS boys going this year? Not another space agency trip? No doubt hundreds of County Councillors will be still going no matter what?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Apart from the Taoiseach, it is all rather pointless.

It is an improvement on last year though.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0306/breaking64.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Where are the FAS boys going this year? Not another space agency trip? No doubt hundreds of County Councillors will be still going no matter what?

Oh yes the county councillors. Ah sure it doesnt even have to be Paddys day for them to go on junkets. I know of a group of Councillors that went on an all expenses trip to Brussells during the week:eek:
    I was told by that most of them spent most of the trip hungover. Ah sure its not as if the councils are trying to cut back or anything:o
    Exactly what has Local Politics got to do with Europe anyway?
    What a complete f*****g joke:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Oh yes the county councillors. Ah sure it doesnt even have to be Paddys day for them to go on junkets. I know of a group of Councillors that went on an all expenses trip to Brussells during the week:eek:
    I was told by that most of them spent most of the trip hungover. Ah sure its not as if the councils are trying to cut back or anything:o
    Exactly what has Local Politics got to do with Europe anyway?
    What a complete f*****g joke:mad:

Sorry I cannot find the link at the moment, but there was one in Cork Independent recently about one of the Cork councillors flying out to Beijing frequently and spending some exorbitant amount of money and knackering their budgets.

And it only seemed to occur to them after the fact.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

its just a holiday for the big boys clubs..well, after all their hard work flushing the country down the toilet, they deserve a good auld holiday abroad!! ..leave your worries behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Green Party Communications Minister Token Job holder, Eamon Ryan is off to San Francisco and New York?

- He'd want to start paddling fairly soon - that's some trip by Kayak.

Carbon footprint my hole; he's going to have to change a lot of lightbulbs to offset this jolly junket - I hope he doesn't start wittering in peoples ears and embarrass us all over there with that daft, lame, green hypocritical nonsense.
    So yeah - we have loike 3,245 people left in Ireland that still actually have a job, so we're being really kind to Mother Earth and like taxing their incomes at 61%, we cancelled all the buses and made their drivers redundant while charging people to park outside their workplace and double taxing them on the roof over their heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Raiser wrote: »
    Green Party Communications Minister Token Job holder, Eamon Ryan is off to San Francisco and New York?

- He'd want to start paddling fairly soon - that's some trip by Kayak.

Carbon footprint my hole; he's going to have to change a lot of lightbulbs to offset this jolly junket - I hope he doesn't start wittering in peoples ears and embarrass us all over there with that daft, lame, green hypocritical nonsense.

LMAO:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I would agree with you entirely if I thought that those going had any sales ability, industrial or financial experience, or even basic common sense. As it is, I am not convinced:(

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Was just thinking of starting a thread on the same thing. I mean Eamon O Cuiv flying off to Australia? WTF? It should only be An Taoiseach who goes over to th States, meet the US president and go to New York etc.
    Rojomcdojo wrote:

But not many countries have the capital to spare to invest in other countries! Protectionism is coming back with avengeance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Full list of Government trips for St Patrick's Day:

Taoiseach Brian Cowen and Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin – New York and Washington DC
    Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan – London
    Minister for Agriculture and Food Brendan Smith – Munich, Berlin & Dusseldorf
    Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey – Toronto
    Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Eamon Ryan – San Francisco and New York
    Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs Éamon Ó Cuív – Sydney, Brisbane & Melbourne
    Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism Martin Cullen – Houston
    Minister for Social and Family Affairs Mary Hanafin – Philadelphia and Atlanta
    Attorney General Paul Gallagher – Seattle
    Minister of State Pat Carey - Boston
    Minister of State Barry Andrews – Mumbai and New Delhi
    Minister of State Trevor Sargent – Paris
    Minister of State Jimmy Devins - Chicago
    Minister of State Peter Power – Birmingham
    Minister of State John McGuinness – Edinburgh and Glasgow
    Minister of State Billy Kelleher – Rome and Milan

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0306/breaking64.htm

Can anyone here please give a rough total estimate of how much all this absurd extravagance is going to cost :eek:?? If they think they are fooling anybody by cutting it down from last year, they really ought to think again. The whole thing should be scrapped altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I do not want these morons 'advertising' on my behalf, especially not at my expense

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Full list of Government trips for St Patrick's Day:

Taoiseach Brian Cowen and Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin – New York and Washington DC
    Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan – London
    Minister for Agriculture and Food Brendan Smith – Munich, Berlin & Dusseldorf
    Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey – Toronto
    Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Eamon Ryan – San Francisco and New York
    Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs Éamon Ó Cuív – Sydney, Brisbane & Melbourne
    Minister for Social and Family Affairs Mary Hanafin – Philadelphia and Atlanta
    Attorney General Paul Gallagher – Seattle
    Minister of State Pat Carey - Boston
    Minister of State Barry Andrews – Mumbai and New Delhi
    Minister of State Trevor Sargent – Paris
    Minister of State Jimmy Devins - Chicago
    Minister of State Peter Power – Birmingham
    Minister of State John McGuinness – Edinburgh and Glasgow
    Minister of State Billy Kelleher – Rome and Milan

Why de F*** is the AG off to Seattle ?
    So what is that twat Cullen doing in Houston, AFAIK there are no helicopter manufacturers based there ?
    He should be off to Italy and visiting Augusta or maybe Eurocopter in Germany ?

And the Ass Licker prize for the year was definetly won by Éamon Ó Cuív.
    He gets to go to Oz.
    Good Boy Éamon, you show em.

And didn't John McGuinness complain about the civil servants ?
    Easy to see he gets the booby prize of Glasgow.

The real worrying thing is that Mary "currently learning the English language" Coughlan is left in charge :eek:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The Attorney General....Whoa.....hold on just a Cotton Pickin minute there.....:rolleyes:

I think the country is due some form of fuller explaination as to why our Senior Law Officer is partaking of this PR excercise....?

He is after all an Unelected Official,although probably a hell of a lot more important than the likes of all of those travellin Junior MInisters put together.

This just does not look right..... to paraphrase Noel Dempsey,"I`m suspicious of something".... :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Interesting, I will certainly try and meet Mr Cullen when he is here and make it known even in the US we are not happy with the way the Irish government is going. I met Dempsey in 07 when he made it to Houston, I wished him luck in the upcoming election at the time. oh why oh why did I do that! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I can see some validity in being represented abroad etc etc, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that any of those people should be allowed travel first/business class. If money is so tight how the hell can Martin Cullen etc travel first/business class, and use helicopters as a mode of transport around Ireland?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cullen-scare-as-chopper-door-blows-off-in-midair-1659046.html

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

The Snots Ryan to San Francisco now thats just the biggest two fingers
    yet! Man I hate those turn coat fcukers , I for one will actively campaign against all snot candidates in any future elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

why do our politicians go abroad for paddies day? i suppose why does a dog lick his b@lls.

but seeing that Paddies Day is an Irish holiday, surely we should be inviting Foreign dignitaries here.

I don't think many American politicians leave the states on the fourth of July.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was going to post the same as 3greenrizla's.
    I can't understand the mentality that goes on within our politicians!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

kbannon wrote: »
    I was going to post the same as 3greenrizla's.
    I can't understand the mentality that goes on within our politicians!

Its easy, how can I rape the country for another few hundred euro is their mentality.

I can't understand why people keep voting for these w*nkers that are clearly taking the p*ss out of the Irish people at every opportunity.

Stop fooking voting for them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

They keep telling us we are going broke and that we must all feel the pain and they spend our money on first class travel and Hotels. Some of them -maybe half the current list could go.........travel by the most economical transport - economy class and if available with Ryan Air and Taxi or God forbid get on a Bus and stay in an average hotel- maybe 3 star...........by mixing this way with us the public they may start to get back in touch with us and learn something. However I fear they don't even get it........they think they understand but they don’t which is dangerous and this is why they repeatedly get it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I can't wait to see how many $400 haircuts this is going to cost us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

I consider St. Patrick's day a great way to promote Ireland abroad and the Irish that are abroad do the job to perfection without the assistance of the Government.

Three Ministers is enough any year and I've no objection to the costs incured. But letting off 15 or 16 Ministers is ott as far as I'm concerned, especially the likes of Junior Ministers who can't even promote themselfs. Overall it's just another junket/holiday at the peoples expense and a handy way of staying out of the public spotlight at home.

Edit: forgot to mention all the back slapping that will be going on, oh those Ministers will be in their element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

some idiot councilor from meath was on the news this evening saying that irish people who live in the likes of america love to see the representitives from their area over for paddys day

now i myself have lived abroad and on paddys day i was happy to hear from my family back home but i had zero interest in meeting some 2 bit parish pump local councillor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

irish_bob wrote: »
    some idiot councilor from meath was on the news this evening saying that irish people who live in the likes of america love to see the representitives from their area over for paddys day

now i myself have lived abroad and on paddys day i was happy to hear from my family back home but i had zero interest in meeting some 2 bit parish pump local councillor

+1

That's typical County Councilor's 'gombeenism' for you. I've lived in several countries too and if one of those a88holes was around I'd run a mile in shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Well holy god, a few politicians heading off round the world on Paddies Day!!! The shame of it :eek: :rolleyes:

TBH for a small island like Ireland to have one day that is celebrated right around the world is phenomenal. It's the one day in the year that the focus is on Ireland. It would look fairly bad if the country couldn't send a few diplomatic people to thank ex pats and others for their support and the efforts made to promote the country. Also, it would look like the people of Ireland couldn't give a fcuk what the rest of the world was doing for Paddies Day if we sent nobody. Because that's what it would look like.

Sure, those who organise the trips should be looking to save as much as possible by getting value for money on flights etc but not going at all would be a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

stepbar wrote: »
    Well holy god, a few politicians heading off round the world on Paddies Day!!! The shame of it :eek: :rolleyes:

TBH for a small island like Ireland to have one day that is celebrated right around the world is phenomenal. It's the one day in the year that the focus is on Ireland. It would look fairly bad if the country couldn't send a few diplomatic people to thank ex pats and others for their support and the efforts made to promote the country. Also, it would look like the people of Ireland couldn't give a fcuk what the rest of the world was doing for Paddies Day if we sent nobody. Because that's what it would look like.

Sure, those who organise the trips should be looking to save as much as possible by getting value for money on flights etc but not going at all would be a lot worse.

Do you really think the people of Seattle give a toss whether the AG turns up on Paddies Day? Give me a break!! They'd be real upset with us if we "snubbed" them like that!

Advertisement