Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really stupid question

Options
  • 06-03-2009 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I have a desktop with wired broadband and a laptop and mobile that connect via a wireless modem. There's no security on the wireless at the moment so I want to set it up.
    If I enable WEP or WAP security settings on the router will it have any effect on the wired connection or will that just connect as normal??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have a desktop with wired broadband and a laptop and mobile that connect via a wireless modem. There's no security on the wireless at the moment so I want to set it up.
    If I enable WEP or WAP security settings on the router will it have any effect on the wired connection or will that just connect as normal??

You want WPA, not WEP. WEP and WPA have no bearing on the wired connection whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Spear wrote: »
    You want WPA, not WEP. WEP and WPA have no bearing on the wired connection whatsoever.

Ok cool thanks.

So I just need to log onto the routers address and select the WPA option?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ok cool thanks.

So I just need to log onto the routers address and select the WPA option?

Set a good long non-dictionary word as the key. You may wish to use AES rather than TKIP as the encryption scheme, but there's no real vulnerability there.

Advertisement