Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place for USB memory sticks and HDMI cable

• 06-03-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm not in the least bit technical so I hope someone can help me:(

I want to be able to watch online movies via my laptop on my TV. I believe I need a HDMI cable? What specifically should I be looking for.
    Are they all much the same?
    I want to transfer photos on to USB sticks, again what should I be looking for.

If I know the specifications needed and any other relevant info I might be able to check out Amazon for bargains.

Thanks in advance for help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Try do a quick search of this site...has been discussed numerous times before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What make and model of laptop is it? HDMI is a fairly large format connector for a laptop so I am guessing you might need a a special adapter cable. which might be specific to the laptop manufacturer - Apple, for instance.

To transfer photos to a USB stick, you just need a USB port on the laptop and a USB stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

aldi have cheap and cheerful items, and most important take em back if you are not happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

mymemory.co.uk or mx2.co.uk are good for usb memory sticks.

Lidl have HDMI cables on offer at the moment, €7.99 IIRC.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 melody321

wow,

many thanks for the helpful replies. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1300, pentium M.......will I need a special cable? I can't find a HDMI cable on offer at the moment at Lidl.:o

I'll hunt down some memory sticks though the sites mentioned and I'll also check out Lidl. Are some memory sticks faster than others, i.e. download speeds etc....or am I talking to my big red hat.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

aldi have both in stock at the mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

melody321 wrote: »
    wow,

many thanks for the helpful replies. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1300, pentium M.......will I need a special cable? I can't find a HDMI cable on offer at the moment at Lidl.:o

I'll hunt down some memory sticks though the sites mentioned and I'll also check out Lidl. Are some memory sticks faster than others, i.e. download speeds etc....or am I talking to my big red hat.

Thanks again.

Looking up the specs for that model:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2738

It would appear that it only has a VGA graphics output port, so I don't think you will be needing an HDMI cable.

To hook it up to a TV you would need to also look at what sort of inputs your TV has avilable. What you probably need is for it to have a PC input. If it doesn't have such an input, but has an s-video input, you could get a vga - s-video adapter cable, though I have absolutely no idea if these work well or not.

Do you by any chance have an xBox 360 attached to the TV? If so, your best bet would be to get a USB stick of at least a couple GB, put your video files on the stick then plug the stick into a USB port on the xbox.

Of course only certain video formats are supported by the xbox and you would likely need to find software that will convert between formats, but it wouls likely give you better picture quality then vga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 melody321

thanks a million for going to so much trouble cnocbui. I'll have to get a pal to "translate" your post for me.....see I told ye I was hopeless:o but at least now I know what I need. Thanks again

Advertisement