Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which APN for vodafone inclusive data add on?

• 06-03-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

A quick question please:

I have the 500mb monthly internet add on for 9.99 a month. My phone can access the internet (nokia 5800) either via hs.vodafone.ie or the live.vodafone.com apn.

I think I have been charged extra for the hs.vodafone.ie apn use outside my add on allowance. Is this right?

Also, it does not seem possible to use opera mini via the live.vodafone.com apn. Is this right?

Seems like a right con overall if this is right.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

ashleey wrote: »
    A quick question please:

I have the 500mb monthly internet add on for 9.99 a month. My phone can access the internet (nokia 5800) either via hs.vodafone.ie or the live.vodafone.com apn.

I think I have been charged extra for the hs.vodafone.ie apn use outside my add on allowance. Is this right?

Also, it does not seem possible to use opera mini via the live.vodafone.com apn. Is this right?

Seems like a right con overall if this is right.
    You cannot use the hs.vodafone.ie with this addon without additional charge. The "live" APN is really designed for access through the Vodafone Live homepage. If you want to use opera to access the web, you need to use the
    isp.vodafone.ie APN. This is a different addon and you need the 1GB ISP addon rather than the one that you have.

Good luck btw trying to get anyone in Vodafone CC to confirm this for you, but I hope it helps :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

CivilEx wrote: »
    You cannot use the hs.vodafone.ie with this addon without additional charge. The "live" APN is really designed for access through the Vodafone Live homepage. If you want to use opera to access the web, you need to use the
    isp.vodafone.ie APN. This is a different addon and you need the 1GB ISP addon rather than the one that you have.

Good luck btw trying to get anyone in Vodafone CC to confirm this for you, but I hope it helps :D

Thanks very much for your help. No wonder the 500mb add on looks quite good. I can use it via the nokia browser but not for checking email via the nokia app. I'll wait to see how vodafone reply to my mail to see if they offer me the correct alternatives. It seems odd that all the networks have this secret strategy of differentiating mobile broadband and broadband on mobiles. Nothing is ever simple and always expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I've tweaked a few settings on my nokia to make sure it goes to vodafone live instead of the expensive one if outside of my wifi networks. Involves moving apn s into different destinations in connection settings and then set the correct default destination and then check each relevant app points to the right connection. Phew. Off to london tomorrow, so will now find out the cost of data roaming.

Advertisement