Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitch Conor vs. Titan18

• 06-03-2009 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

Pick 01 - Ruud Van Nisteelroy
    Pick 02 - Frank Lampard
    Pick 03 - Andrie Kanchelskis
    Pick 04 - Kolo Toure
    Pick 05 - Xabi Alonso
    Pick 06 - Mikel Arteta
    Pick 07 - Sylvan Distin
    Pick 08 - Obafemi Martins
    Pick 09 - Joleen Lescott
    Pick 10 - Pascal Chimbonda
    Pick 11 - Tim Howard

Team Name - Drenai FC.
    Captain - Lampard
    Free Kicks - Arteta, Lampard.
    Corner Kicks - Arteta, Lampard.
    Penalties - Lampard.

Tim Howard.

Voted Premiership 'Keeper of the Year in his first season with United. In his time at Everton, he has established himself as the first choice keeper in a team that has performed very well over his time with them, and I think he has been a big reason for that. Got him as my last pick, so I was delighted to have a keeper of his class available at that stage.

Pascal Chimbonda.

Another player who has been very impressive when he has played in the premiership, and another player to be voted as the best in his position - voted premiership right back of the season in his debut season with Wigan. Fast and strong, good going forward with the ball. A solid and top right back.

Joleen Lescott.

An absolute star for Everton over the last few seasons. Strong defensively, solid going forward and a very dependable goal scoring threat from set pieces. As far as left backs go, I'll admit he is not world class, but he is a damned fine choice, and a damned fine player. I don't think there will be any wingers that will have the ability to dominate him, and he will force them back up the pitch themselves.

Kolo Toure

The first of my centre backs. Strong, fast, good on the ball and not afraid to move forward with it. A solid central defender, who has been rated as among the best in the world during his career at Arsenal. With him at the back, along with his defensive partner, no one is going to be beating my team pace, and we'll go toe to toe with them for power too.

Sylvan Distin

Another big, fast, strong centre back. A massive player for Newcastle, City and Portsmouth in his time win the premiership. Recently named vice-captain at Pompey, so has definate leadership qualities which i think is important.

Xabi Alonso

Probably the most defensive of my midfielders, which isn't too great i'll admit. However, he is a top player, and on his day one of the very best central midfielders in world football. A great passer, with great vision, and quality with set pieces. Great positional play as well and not afraid to tackle either. Was delighted to get him into central midfield.

Mikel Arteta

Again, another great midfielder, a great passer and creative force and a great goal threat, from open play and set pieces. A massive reason for the recent success of Everton (along with Howard and Lescott). Can play centrally and left sided, so offers me a bit of variety in my midfield deployment, which was a reason for going for him. Has won the Everton Players Player, and Fan player of the year awards, so his quality should be undoubted.

Frank Lampard

Frank gets me goals - there can be no argument about that. 80 goals and counting for Chelsea, and there are his assists too. Leadership qualities also, so i think he is a very good pick.

Andrie Kanchelskis.

A bit of a 'heart' pick - one of my favourite ever players. Lightening quick and and a goal threat - 50 premiership goals, and Uniteds leading goal scorer in the 94/95 season. Goals, assists and frightening pace for swift and deadly counter attacks.

Obafemi Martins.

Another player bringing undoubtable power and pace to my side. A quality striking partner for my main striker; with a 1 in 3 strike rate for Newcastle. Gives me the option of putting the ball over the top for him to chase, as i don't think there is a defender who will beat him to the ball, and another player adding to my counter attacking ability with Kanchelskis.

Ruud van Nistlerooy.

My first pick, and one i was delighted with. A premeership goal scoring king - hammering in 23 premiership goals in his debut season, his first full season after injury. Followed this up with 25 prem goals the next season, 20 the following season, then 6 (in a season ruined by injury) and 21 in his final season. 95 prem goals in 5 seasons (with one ruined by injury), and another 14 FA Cup goals in 14 appearances. A player i think would thrive on the service he would get from my midfield.

Formation.

With the players I have, i think i can succesfully go 442, 433 attacking of 451 defensive. Attack being the best form of defence; my team will be one of the best on possession of ball, some great passers in midfield and a defence not afraid to actually lose the ball. In Ruud, I have a striker my team can play to and off in any of those formations. Martins can drop out wide to the left offering a pacey outlet down the left to mirror Kanchelskis on the right, giving my team possibly the best counter attack in the game, and the ability to streatch the opposition down both flanks and get in behind. Chimbonda and Lescott down each side offer more width on each side.

vs.
    titan18 wrote: »
    Team Name:Titan United

Manager:titan18

Formation:At the start of the draft, I came in with no formation of choice in mind, just to take the player who was highest on my shortlist with my pick, and make up the formation as I go along, which is why my formation has ended up a bit unusual, and the players werent drafted with any formation in mind.

- - Jaaskalainen - -

Clarke - Bould - Stimac - Irwin

- - - Jenas --- Scholes- - -Taylor

Gudjohnsen

- - - Di Canio - - - Viduka

Team Strategy: My strategy from the outset was to pick a team with flair player, and to make up for some lack of team work by some of them, with good, hard industrious midfielders.My picks are a reflection of this strategy.

With my front 3 of Gudjohnsen, Di Canio and Viduka, there is enough creativity and firepower to finish off any team.With Scholes in the midfield aswell, he will be able to use his passing ability to get Viduka and Di Canio into space.Gudjohnsen will be able to lend a hand in defence if I'm under pressure too, as he often played as a centre midfielder for Chelsea.

In Jenas and Taylor, I picked 2 box-to-box midfielders, who will be able to compensate for the lack of a teamwork ethic in my front pair.They will be able to get forward and help the attack, but will most importantly be able to help the defense and cut out any attacks by the opposition.

My full backs of Irwin and Clarke will be able to support the attack and get forward down the wings.They are also very good in the defensive side so should be able to handle the attacks that will come from the opposition down my wings.When the opposition full backs come down the wing, Scholes and Gudjohnsen will move out and help the full backs.Scholes to help Irwin as they played together and he's the least likely to need help out of Clarke and himself.

My 2 centre backs of Bould and Stimac are strong enough to handle any attacks through the middle and both are good in the air and will be able to clear any crosses in.Stimac will be able to get forward in attack aswell and play balls through to Di Canio and Viduka.If I need to aswell, he's perfect to hammer the ball forward and hope Viduka gets a flick on to Di Canio or to an onrushing Scholes or Gudjohnsen who are both able to hammer a shot in from outside the box.

With Jaaskalainen in goal, he'll be able to stop any shots that come through and marshall the defense in dangerous situations.

Picks:

Pick 1Paul Scholes

PaulScholes_468x551.jpg

I was happy with my first pick.Scholes was in the top 5 of my shortlist.He is a very good technical player which is what my team was designed to be full of.

Pick 2:Denis Irwin

irwwwwin.jpg

Even though some people have said that taking a full back early was a bad decision, I am happy in my decision to take Irwin with my 2nd pick.He was a brilliant player for Manchester United and always gave everything on the pitch.

Pick 3: Paolo Di Canio

PaoloDiCanio_468x521.jpg

A fantastic finisher and a very good technical player with tons of creativity.He was the best forward available at the time and is a pick that I like.

Pick 4: Eidur Gudjohnsen

1166769591226_foot_r.jpg

A very good technical player like my other picks and with tons of creativity, he will be able to feed the ball through to my forwards.He also is very willing to work for the team and track back and is not afraid of going into a tackle.Happy with this pick.

Pick 5: Jussi Jaaskalainen

452108.jpg

A fantastic keeper, a great servant to Bolton and has kept them in the Premiership with some fantastic saves.In hindsight, I'm not exactly sure about this pick as with some of the keepers that were available in the end and with Schwarzer not being picked at all.I wish I had held out to the end with a keeper, and not picked Jussi but he is still a fantastic nevertheless.

Pick 6: Steve Bould:

bould.jpg

A fantastic defender but I think I could have held off on him for another round.I'm still happy with the pick as he'll be a fantastic defender alongside Stimac.

Pick 7:Mark Viduka

p1_australia_0111.jpg

When I picked Viduka, it was a case of best player available despite the fact I had 2 forwards already.I just had to change around my team cos I couldnt leave Viduka when he was available in this round.I think this was my best pick in the draft.

Pick 8:Igor Stimac

_1513834_igorstimac150.jpg

A fantastic defender, a real leader on the pitch.Very good on the ball and is perfect to line up alongside Bould in my back line.Very happy with this pick.

Pick 9:Steve Clarke

EMP-5972910.jpg

A very good right back.A longtime servant to Chelsea.A very good leader, and very good going forward aswell and solid at the back.Happy with this pick

Pick 10:Jermaine Jenas

A good strong midfielder with a strong work ethic.He'll be able to cover the defense and get forward, and has plenty of energy to do so.Happy with this pick.

Pick 11: Ian Taylor

AstonVilla_Taylor_med.jpg

A strong worker like Jenas, and will provide cover for the defense when the opposition attacks.A strong tackler and will be very good with Jenas in the middle of the park.Happy with this pick.

Captain:Bould

Free Kick Taker:Irwin,Di Canio

Penalty Taker:Irwin,Di Canio

Corners:Irwin,Gudjohnsen

Summary:Looking back at the draft, i dont think it could have gone any better.I would have left a keeper until the end and picked a midfielder instead of Jussi, but I can't complain on it as my team didn't end up too bad.The main strength of the team is the attack with the main four possessing loads of creativity and I should have no problem scoring against any team in this draft.

The main weakness of the team is probably my midfield.Jenas and Taylor aren't exactly the best players out there, but will be able to do what's necessary and help the defense out and let my front four wreak havok on the opposition's defense.If the opposition attack down the wings, Scholes and Gudjohnsen are capable of tracking back and helping out the fullbacks.

Overall, I'm very happy with my side and I think that with my attack, I can beat any side in this.

Mitch Connor vs Titan18 12 votes

Mitch Connor
    0%
    Titan18
    100%
    Dont be at yourselfeirebhoyIagoMr.Nice GuyshoutmanMitch ConnorLuckyLloydredzerdrogFrisbeeBubs101menoscemoIrishIrish 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Titan18
    Balls, Could a mod please add a poll that expires in 4 days, that's public but with votes hidden. Two options of Mitch and Titan. Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Guile, creativity, potent attack, strong defence, excellent ball winners, several players who can cut open any defence with a pass, dangerous in the air, deadly at set pieces.

All of these are attributes that one should find in the winner of this Premiership draft.

My team has them.

Gudjohnsen, Di canio, Viduka, Scholes. Players who possess sublime talent. Any defence that they will come up against will falter, their creativity, skill, ability on and off the ball will ensure plent of goals for my side.

At the other end, a defensive line marshalled by the excellent Jussi Jaaskalainen, a no-holds barred player in Bould, one of the most underrated defenders in Premier League history in Stimac.One of the best left backs ever in Irwin, and a right back who played 330 games for Chelsea in Clarke.

I do not expect this defence to keep a ton of clean sheets, but they should provide enough cover and prevent the opposition's attack from scoring more than I shall.

In midfield, the combined duo of Jenas and Taylor will help to provide cover to my defence and get the ball from back to front as quickly as possible.Both possess a high level of fitness and a strong work ethic, and are capable of driving at the heart of any defence.

Overall, I think that my team is capable of beating any side in this competition.

In this matchup with Mitch, I believe that my team shades is. I respect the team that I am up against greatly and would not take them lightly in a match but I believe that my attack would score more than his.

Looking at keepers, I believe that Jaaskalainen is a better keeper than Howard.Both are good keepers but Jussi is better in every department against Howard imo.

In defense, over the back 4, mine is probably slightly better, but its a close call.My two full-backs are a different league than his in their respective positions, Clarker is miles ahead of Chimbonda and Irwin is respectively the same against Lescott.In the center, I think that Stimac and Bould are probably a more solid unit than Kolo and Distin, as both of them are prone to severe lapses in concentation.Talent wise, Stimac is better than both.

In midfield, his is better with Lamps, Alonso, Arteta and Kanchelskis talent wise, but I look at that midfield and I wonder where the bite in it is, who is the player who will be told to sit back and help the defense, none of them are naturally defense-minded midfielders, all of them are looking to attack.Alonso is the one who will be told to I'd imagine, and wth Arteta on the left, his natural instinct is to roam inside and not to stay on the flanks.Through this I think that my ball-winners of Taylor and Jenas would close Lamps and Arteta down, deny them space and win the midfield dual and allow Scholes ahead of them and Gudjohnsen, time and space to unleash my attack.Kanchelskis may be a threat but I think that Clarke or Irwin would be able to contain him, Irwin in particular.

In attack, even though he has Ruud, I think that my pairing up front is stonger than his.Martins isnt a fantastic player by any means, whereas I have a forward who on his day is meant to be unplayable, as said by Prermiership defenders and managers, in Viduka and a very talented player in Di Canio who can hammer them in from anywhere.Lampard's runs from midfield could pose a threat but I think that Jenas or Taylor's high energy game would stifle this threat.Whereas, when Gudjohsen and Scholes get further for me, his defence will have some problems.

I think that Stimac and Bould would be able to contain Ruud and Martins.My defense are stonger in the air than his attack, and have enough pace to stop Ruud, and I'll sit back enough to neutralise Martins pace(not going to be stupid and push up and leave space in behind against a side with Martins and Kanchelskis).Lampard would have a greatest threat from knockdowns from the forwards, but my defenders will clean up in the air, so it'll negate Lampard to an extent.

With Viduka up front, he'll win anything against Toure and Distin, and allow Di Canio, Gudjohsen and Scholes the chance to get in behind or hammer one in from outside the box, as all 3 are capable of doing.

Overall, I think my team shades Mitch's team.It would be avery high scoring, entertaining game between our sides, but mine would win, and would finish higher over a full league campaign.Both our sides have players who struggled with injuries so neither have an advantage there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Titan18
    Another tough game, as all are in this game, and this will be close i reckon.

The teams are very close.

Keepers are about even imo, both are very good shot stoppers and capable of looking worldclasss on their day.

Across the backline, I think my side shades it. Clarke's best days were pre'premiership - in terms of the premiership i think Chimbonda and Clarke are quite close. At LB, Irwin beats Lescott, but lesscott does deserve credit here.

At CB I think I have more pace, and more power. Bould was a member of a great backline at Arsenal, but as with Clarke, he best days were most pre-premiership. He was still a good player, but over his premiership time I think he would be behind Toure and Distin. I would pick both ahead of Stimac too.

In midfield, neither side have a really defensive player, despite with Titan may say about Ian Taylor and Jermaine Jenas, i think he is most over-rating their defensive abilities, especially Jenas - I don't think he is particularly better at it than either Lampard or Alonso. I would say Jenas has on occasion shown he has the ability or potential to be a top midfielder, but he has never had teh consistency to claim it really - he has never consistently reached his potential. There are also a lot more goals in and creativity in my midfield. Scholes and Lampard will equal out for goals (Scholes would prob get a few more assists) but then I can call on Alonso and Arteta too, which I belive gives my team a much greater edge in creativity and ability to maintain the possesion

Up front, my team simply has more goals. Ruud, imo, would likely get more goals than both his forwards, or damn close to it, and Martins would more than make up any difference. In Di Canio, Titan does have that extra bit of flair up front but I feel that is more than made up for by Alonso, Arteta and Lampard.

A big issue I would have, is the lack of width in Titan's team, and I don't think the two full backs truly make up for that. My team has two very effective players in Kanchelskis and Arteta, along with Martins who can drop out wide left and use his pace and power there (also giving me versatility of formation from 442 to 433/451, meaning my team can adjust better over teh course of a season). Also, I reckon Scholes, at his best, would be running into Eidur who is occupying the position on the pitch Scholes should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I disagree with Mitch when he says that Clarke's best days were pre-premiership as he won Chelsea's player of the year award in 1994, and was playing consistently to 1998.He was 29 when the Premiership started, not really old, and he played in it for 6 years.Better than Chimbonda imo.

Bould is better than Distin imo, his best days were probably pre-premiership but he had 7 years in the Premiership at Arsenal, playing consistently for 4/5 years, only ousted when Wenger came along, but he was still played a good bit.He went on to become Sunderland captain and helped them finish 7th in the Premier League so he still had a lot in him in this period, better than Distin.

Stimac is without a doubt a better defender than Toure imo.Pretty much a one-man defence for Derby, kept than in games they didnt deserve to be due to his ability.He didnt play a lot of games and struggled with injury but on sheer talent, is miles ahead of Toure and Distin.

On Taylor and Jenas, although Jenas may not be a defensive midfielder, Taylor is.In his later days at Villa, he was put into the holding midfielder position.He was a very good midfielder, and along with Jenas would out- battle Alonso and Lampard.

Eidur Gudjonsen also played as a midfielder at Chelsea, through his later period at the club, and is very capable of getting stuck in. He is probably better defensively than any of the midfielders over the 2 sides and would be able to lend in a hand with Jenas and Taylor, if it needs be.

Up front, I'm not going to argue against Ruud, he's a terrific player, who I'm sure every defense will plan against and try to stop him, cos they dont need to worry about Martins, he'll do nothing.He's a terrible player and shouldn't have been taken in this draft at all.All he has is pace, and that is easily negated if you drop back and have midfielders capable of getting back and forward all game long, all season long(mmm, Taylor and Jenas will do that):cool:

On the width in my side, I know that and I think that it will not be a problem for me.Both my fullbacks are very good defensively and going forward.Di Canio and Gudjohnsen can both push out to the wings aswell, if its called on for adjustments during a season, and Viduka is a forward who can play well up alone by himself, and I have the players to support him.

On Scholes and Eidur, I dont think that they would be running into each other, both are a similar type of player, except Eidur can tackle, but when Scholes goes forward, Eidur will either move up alongisde Viduka and Di Canio or he'll drop back alongisde Scholes if the opposition has a lot of dangerous men free up the field.Mitch's side would be an example of this as Taylor and Jenas would more than likely be keeping an eye on Arteta and Lamps and either Eidur and Scholes would look after Alonso.But Mitch's side is one of about 3 teams in this who'd I'd have to worry about their midfield, whereas the others would be out-performed by mine, and I'd have the lion's share of the possession.

Advertisement