Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Advice

Options
  • 06-03-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping that somebody might be able to offer some advice...

My friend really wants to get an iPhone (pay as you go, not bill pay). She lives in Ireland during the college year but lives in Germany for 3-4 months in the summer. Therefore, she'd like her iPhone to be unlocked so she can use it in Germany for those months.

She checked in a shop in Galway if it could be unlocked and they said they can't do that yet but maybe in a couple of months.

She could buy it and hope that it can be unlocked before the summer, but she is also afraid that if they try to unlock it, they might break it and she won't be able to return it... and it's very expensive to buy in the first place...

I will be in Belgium next week so I could buy one for her there (I think they are all unlocked in Belgium)... but then she wouldn't have the Internet access everywhere, just in wifi spots...

She could try to buy the original iPhone... and just use it in wifi areas... but I don't know if you can even get that any more...

So I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some advice, as she doesn't know what to do...

Thanks a million (and sorry - you must be sick of iphone posts by now)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

They can all be unlocked & jailbreaked
    Info here http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

And why would she only have internet in wi-fi areas. Internet settings can be changed on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

If you buy a "Sim Free" aka factory unlocked iPhone in Belgium, your friend can use a Sim of her choice in Ireland and also in Germany. There is no restriction on usage or the internet, just that you have to pay for data usage in the normal manner with any PAYG or Contract Sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Really man, you could have answered your own question 20 times on google in the time it took you to write the OP.

I will unlock your friends iphone for 50euro. (I really think someone should do in all honesty if people are not prepared to do a google search)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭musicinmouth

Thanks for the replies. I had done lots of searching but there's a lot of different answers out there, so I just wanted to check with the experts and see if there is an alternative we didn't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Advise is - don't try to update iPhone firmware when activating the phone with itunes the very 1st time, at any cost :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

OP - have a search on this forum. There's loads of threads on the issue.

Advertisement