Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old dog/new tricks?

Options
  • 06-03-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Ive been playing (guitar) since I was 14, Im 33 now (with a 6 yr break in between- shame on me!).
    I'd consider myself an intermediate player, average at best. Time is of the essence nowadays, with kids running around time is well scarce.
    Just wondering have many of you guys took lessons even though you've played years?
    Im really just looking for something to freshen up my playing, someone to point out my faults and teach me a little basic theory, the caged? system, that type of stuff.
    Can an old dog really be taught new tricks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

boycey wrote: »
    Ive been playing (guitar) since I was 14, Im 33 now (with a 6 yr break in between- shame on me!).
    I'd consider myself an intermediate player, average at best. Time is of the essence nowadays, with kids running around time is well scarce.
    Just wondering have many of you guys took lessons even though you've played years?
    Im really just looking for something to freshen up my playing, someone to point out my faults and teach me a little basic theory, the caged? system, that type of stuff.
    Can an old dog really be taught new tricks?
    That you've posted this here suggests you want to try some lessons anyway ;).

You should definitely go for it!!. And of course you can learn some new tricks pluto, some proper lessons could really help. Dont think of it as "re-learning", it's more like adding to what you already know.

You should go for some lessons to start with, see what you think, and if you think it helps progress from there.

You shouldnt feel held back just because you're not at the "smoke on the water" level :).

(although i hope you can play smoke after 13 years ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I agree with "spoonbadger". You have everything to gain by taking lessons. It's also great for keeping you motivated. I'll second the "go for it" advice, and best of luck with it. ;)

I can P.M. you the email adress of a good teacher (Lucan area ) that I have gone to, if you are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Yeah, I'd recommend getting some lessons. I played for a good few years "self-taught" full of bad habits and then finally decided to get lessons. Much better!

Advertisement