Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LuckyLloyd vs. Necromicon

• 06-03-2009 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    To begin, I wish to recap how each pick fared in terms of relative value. This is an element of the process that I felt was misunderstood by some of the participants. Yes, we are drafting a team and need to keep an eye at all times on how things will fit together in the end. However, that is only half the battle as far as running a good draft is concerned. Part of the objective
    (and especially in the early rounds) is to make sure that you are taking close to the best player available with your picks; and if you are going to select at an individual position irrespective of BPA concerns, your aim should be to take the best player remaining for that position at that time.

With that in mind, let's recap how I drafted in order from one through to eleven...

Value Assessment:

Patrick_Vieira-newkit.jpg

I think Vieira was sick, sick value where he went. If we were to repeat this process or if there was a version of this process done elsewhere I contend that Vieira is a top five - ten pick most of the time.

Marcel_Desailly.jpg

Desailly is ok value at this spot imo. By taking him at this spot, he went as the seventh defender chosen overall. That sounds fair enough to me. He was a player I wanted, and if I didn't take him there he wasn't going to be around for my next pick.

ginola_david.jpg

When I originally participated in a Premiership draft on 2 + 2, Ginola was selected 22nd overall. I took him at 55 here. Now, a player like him is difficult to approximate in terms of overall value because of the inconsistent nature of his career. But the Premiership has seen very few players like him since it's inception - very few players have passed through with his type of upside and ability to make things happen out of thin air. Given the solid base I had established with my first two picks, I think I was able to go flair here - and if I am going for a flamboyant attacking option he was definitely the best option remaining on the board at that point.

Brad_Friedel_830293.jpg

Friedel was the 10th goalkeeper selected. Enough said in terms of good value!

harry_kewell_narrowweb__300x377,0.jpg

I selected Kewell at 114 overall, 21 picks after Ashley Young; 34 picks after Damien Duff; and 57 picks after Freddy Ljunberg had gone off the board. I can live with the relative value I'm getting here.

chris-sutton-old-rover.jpg

If people can remember (how could I forget after all!), the merits of this pick were attacked by some. I am confident that I proved beyond a reasonable doubt statistically that for the clear majority of his career Sutton was a prolific goal scorer. And we all know how good of a war horse up front he is outside of the stats. Again though, in terms of relative value I can only be happy - given that I took Sutton as the 32nd forward to go, after the likes of Yakubu and Saha.

Steve_Finnan868169.jpg

Delighted with this pick. 7th RB chosen and 151 overall, when he has to be somewhere in the top five in his position over the history of the premiership. Another way to look at it: Dan Petrescu was selected at 59 and Gary Kelly went at 118.

_41155285_des203.jpg

Des Walker in round 8 is obviously good value.

_1896444_hinchy300.jpg

Hinchcliffe at 210 is kinda meh. He was always going to be drafted somewhere in the last three rounds. I would have liked to wait until round 10 as far as overall BPA value is concerned - but considering the left backs still around at that point (and the teams who still had to fill out that position) I think I needed to snag him here.

djorkaeff_youri_brfc_profile_2004.jpg

Getting Youri here isn't exceptional value. He was a player I wanted, and one I definitely think should have been drafted and given that I knew who my last pick was going to be and that he would definitely would be available in the last round this is fine.

t1_mcbride.jpg

At this point, there were possibly a few strikers still about with better stats - but none of those players could hold a candle to the overall contribution that Big Brian will lend a team. Plus, given the quality I have out wide and his ability in the air - I felt it reasonable to believe he would score more in this team as he would be receiving much, much better service than that provided to him during his time at Fulham.

So overall, I think my first eight picks were very good to excellent in terms of relative value. And the last three weren't bad value. As such, I was happy with how I drafted in a vacuum.

Formation:

Friedel

Finnan
    Walker
    Desailly
    Hinchcliffe

Vieira

Ginola
    Djorkaeff
    Kewell

Sutton
    McBride (C)

Balance. That's what I like about the above group.

In terms of the overall, the team is anchored solidly by the combination of a strong center back pairing working in tandem with a World - Class defensive midfielder and exceptional goalkeeper infront and behind. This solid base allows the luxury of three lightweight creative players in the form of Ginola, Djorkaeff and Kewell - as Djorkaeff is covered by Vieira, Ginola by Finnan, and Kewell by Hinchcliffe. On the flip side of that coin - each of Vieira, Finnan and Hinchcliffe are capable of taking good forward positions and aiding / taking advantage of the threat posed by the pure attackers. McBride and Sutton are clever players who move well off the ball and will make decent runs / take up good positions to help provide options for Djorkaeff / Vieira playing through the middle or the wide players getting to the byline to swing it in. The overall effect will test all aspects of an opposing defense:

- Ginola and Kewell will threaten with pace, ability to beat players and get to the byline and cross;
    - When Sutton and McBride pose a dynamic physical prescense in the box and will be able to make strong cuts to the ball in the air;
    - Or if Kewell or Ginola are shown inside they have the ability to shoot well from distance or link off the strikers (McBride in particular) or Djorkaeff;
    - And if a defense gets stretched wide or high Djorkaeff and Vieira are players who will be able to make good late runs and deliver a cutting edge in the opponents box;

I will concede that the one part of the lineup that isn't supremely balanced is the strike partnership. Neither of McBride or Sutton possess world class pace or the ability to get the ball down and beat one or two players in this league. However, given that Ginola and Kewell will be operating high up the pitch - the attack as a whole will be well balanced. Clever and strong through the center, dynamic and fast out wide.

Mentally, much will be made of the unreliability and flakiness of the likes of Kewell and Ginola. I think we will get the best out of them on this team though - because of the strength of character of those around them. Friedel, Desailly, Vieira, Djorkaeff and McBride provide a great leadership spine - model professionals who will inspire through word and deed on the pitch, and help to foster a good atmosphere in the dressing room. The likes of Finnan, Hinhcliffe, Walker and Sutton are good honest pros who will work very hard by default. Is Ginola going to sulk when he has three countrymen on the team who work their balls off and can point to numerous medals and awards earned throughout their career? Are we going to see the worst of Kewell when he isn't the biggest star on show on this team and he's got a great group working their asses off around them? Maybe - but I have to think that if we were ever to see them at their most dedicated, it would be while playing in this team.

Tactical Flexibility:

For me, writing about my default strategy or way of playing is fairly redundant. In a cup format against teams that also have exceptional players any idea that you can simply have the one gameplan and ignore the specific threats posed by the opposition is folly. Instead, I think the question is how many of the bases can your eleven cover?

With the Ball:

Sutton and McBride provide a great first outlet. They will tirelessley run the channels and are both adept at battling for the hopeful ball and holding it up before bringing oncoming support into play. On top of that Ginola and Kewell are the types to get high up the pitch quickly to feed off and support the strikers if they have to be hit early. As such, the combination of strength and guile in the middle and pace out wide means that we will be able to counter attack and break quickly and directly. We carry a quick strike threat.

If a team sits off us, Desailly is an above average user of the ball from the back; Vieira and Djorkaeff will make good use of possession; and Finnan and Hinchcliffe are decent crossers and long range passers. There is no reason to think that we will be unable to hold the ball for stretches and wait for things to develop up the pitch. Then, in terms of making things happen up top, we obviously will have the quality out wide to test a team that packs the center. And if a team is weak through the middle, Djorkaeff / McBride / Sutton should be good enough to make it happen. Furthermore, we can employ all passing styles - direct to the strikers or with raking balls down the flanks for Kewell and Ginola to run onto. Or a more ponderous approach working off Djorkaeff as a link in the middle.

Whatever the team, I think that we will be able to look at them and see ways in which chances can be created.

Without the Ball:

Starting with the goalkeeper, Friedel is an excellent shot stopper who is also good against high balls. He rarely makes errors and is a commanding presence at the back who will keep up a high level of chat to those defending infront of him. Having a solid guy behind a backline inspires confidence. And when that guy will additionally make great blocks that he has no right to make - the overall effect is essentially that of a 'get of jail free' card.

Desailly and Walker amount to a great all round pairing. First and foremost they read the game well and take up excellent defensive positions. They have top end pace and acceleration, and are well able to make well timed and effective tackles. Obviously they are very solid in the air. And finally, they have that extra 'X factor' for players in their position - they are brave and determined individuals who will strive to make the heroic block or last ditch interception.

On either side, Finnan and Hinchcliffe are good defenders. Finnan especially is a great cover fullback. He is constantly alert and switched on and has a good eye for when to come inside and help out the center backs / pick up a loose player in a broken passage of play, etc. Hinchcliffe is an old school English defender - he will not be one to negate defensive responsibilities or shirk from sticking his body on the line when required.

So we have a good goalkeeper and backline, but what sticks this team over the top defensively is having the physical beast that is Vieira mopping things up infront of them. A phenomenal athlete with a great understanding of the game and a spikey personality - Patch provides world class protection for this team.

Up the pitch, McBride and Sutton are the type of players to really harass and press opposing backlines. Teams are not going to find it easy to build slowly from the back, and errors in execution from deep lying players in possession will be forced and punished by my strikers.

The weakness of this team therefore is the lightweight trio of Djorkaeff, Ginola and Kewell. Djorkaeff tries very hard, and won't sell the team short because of effort. As noted earlier, I can only believe that Ginola and Kewell will be in an environment that spurs them to work their hardest. Even then, they are not going to be great tacklers or defenders in the air. The players around them more than make up for that though - once they don't entirely switch off and give up on marking assignments / not run back and harry players etc, etc. I'm banking that they won't.

Hanging on / Going all out

If I'm holding onto a lead, Sutton's ability to play center back and Desailly's previous time as a defensive center mid is useful:

Friedel

Finnan
    Sutton
    Walker
    Hinhcliffe

Desailly
    Vieira

Ginola
    Djorkaeff
    Kewell

McBride

And if we're really desperate, you can leave Kewell and Ginola all the way up there with the two fullbacks pushed up - as the pace and athleticism of Desailly and Walker is such that they won't completely crumble for a short period. Plus, if you are lumping it late on - McBride and Sutton are kinda ideal. Particularly with a clever player with good technique when striking the ball in Djorkaeff to be in and around the edge of the box to pounce.

Setpieces:

This is a definite strength of the team imo. Djorkaeff and Hinchcliffe are great strikers of a dead ball - with Kewell and Ginola not being too shabby. We have great height and ability in the air throughout the team, with the five of Walker, Desailly, Vieira, McBride and of course Sutton being an asset in defending or attacking corner kicks and set pieces.

As far as penalties are concerned, Djorkaeff or Vieira will be well able to take them.

Conclusion:

Whether this team is the best or not is for others to decide. I think we'll be able to compete against everyone, and I won't fear matching up with anyone. :)

vs.
    Team: Jip Jaap United

Order:

Ryan Giggs
    The greatest left winger ever to play in the Premiership. Manchester United's record appearance holder, and the captain of Jip Jaap United.

Jaap Stam
    It's a shame he only had a few seasons at United, but he was solid as a rock and not in the least out of place as a second round pick.

David James
    Seemingly gets better with age. He was a rock last season and a quick look in 'team of the season' threads will reflect that. In 2007 he eclipsed David Seaman's record of 141 clean sheets. England's No.1.

Gus Poyet
    Bringing some class to my midfield is the Uruguayan who was a fan favourite at both Chelsea and Spurs, with a terrific goal-scoring record from midfield

Dimitar Berbatov
    The Bulgarian had a very good record for Spurs (just under a goal every other game) and has an eye for the spectacular. Still finding his feet at United, but his record isn't bad so far. 8 goals and a bagful of assists, showing signs of what made him so sought after.

Henning Berg
    Solid right back and the only player to win the Premiership with two different teams. Also part of the Treble-winning Man United side.

Sylvain Wiltord
    It had been a toss up between Berg and Wiltord, and I was astounded that he was still free when the draft came back my way. He can play right wing or just off the front man. Recently included in Arsenal's Top 50 players of all time.

Ugo Ehiogu
    I was delighted to get someone of his experience late on. Very solid centre back with hundreds of appearences, as well as a couple of League Cups to his name.

Scott Parker
    I needed someone combative to complement Poyet in midfield, and I think he was good value at that stage of the draft. It really boggles me how many Premiership clubs he's been at for someone his age, I think he's quality.

Julian Dicks
    I finished my defence off with Dicks, ensuring that I'd have a rock solid, if perhaps unadventurous, back four. With that cannon of a left-foot, he's my penalty taker.

Fabrizio Ravanelli
    In my original write-up for Ravanelli I said it's a pity he never played for one of the top sides, and two relegations really belies his goal-scoring form.

How they line up

James

----Berg
    Stam
    Ehiogu
    Dicks---

----Wiltord
    Parker
    Poyet
    Giggs(c)-

Berbatov
    Ravanelli

Defence

I think I've as solid a CB pairing as any in this draft, with two very reliable full-backs to complement. They probably won't get forward as much as others in the draft, but I'm confident I've enough creativity ahead. If they are breached, I've one of the most experienced goalkeepers as the last line of defence. If there's one collective area I'm happy with, it's my defence.

Midfield
    I think I have a good balance in midfield; Poyet will get forward plenty and link up with Berbatov and Ravanelli, with Parker providing the stability for him to do so. Playing a conventional 4-4-2 I feel I have one of the best flank combinations in Wiltord and Giggs. Not only will they be supportive of the front two, but both are capable of delivering plenty of decent crosses for a striker who scored a lot with his head in Ravanelli.

Attack
    Berbatov and Ravanelli would be an awesome partnership. Berbatov dropping a little deeper and linking up play with the midfield combined with the fox-in-the-box mentality of the White Feather. Berbatov's intelligence and Ravanelli's clinical finishing should ensure the goals don't dry up.

Finally I'd like to say it's been a blast participating in this. Cheers to LuckyLloyd for organising and the rest of you for teaching me a few things about players I only knew a little (or nothing at all) about.

Lloyd vs. Necromicon 8 votes

Lloyd
    0%
    Necromicon
    100%
    RasTaeirebhoyMr.Nice GuywhatawasterMitch ConnorLuckyLloydWrecktitan18 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think this is an even game but I'll outline why I feel I just about have the edge.

In terms of defence I think you're splitting hairs. Both of us have a solid CB pairing in particular - I'd be confident of my boys against any forward players in the draft.

Moving into midfield, I obviously can't make a case for Parker over Vieira but it's with the other 3 where I feel I have the advantage. Djorkjaeff gives Lloyd creativity but I think Poyet is more of a goal threat and will bag more over the season. Besides, while he added a bit of class to Bolton Djorkaeff was coming to the end of his career. Ginola and Kewell can be awesome on any given day but surely there would be questions over their ability to sustain it over a season - I think my wing combination is superior and would be far more consistent over 38 games.

Up front I think you've an interesting contrast; in Sutton and McBride Lloyd has two fine grafters but I'd question how prolific they'd be over the season, especially if Ginola and Kewell had more off days than good. Berbatov and Ravanelli may not have the workman-like attitudes of their opposite numbers but for me they are a bigger goal threat and would be more clinical over a season, particularly with service from Wiltord and Giggs.

I think this could be a close run thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Necromicon
    Yeah, I think Necromicon did a great job and put together a solid group - and that this is a very evenly matched tie.

For me, the difference over the course of season here would be Vieira. I think you are looking at two well balanced teams with a decent mixture of flair and fight. But the standout most effective player out of this group of 22 is the French beast in the middle of the park. Parker is a good ball winner and Poyet is an admirable footballer with the ability to score goals. In this league though, they are not a midfield pairing that is hugely above average. They'll compete in every game, but dominate few.

However on my team, Vieira is going to impose himself in most games and provide an inspirational platform for everyone else to operate around. And when both teams are solid and of a similar talent level, I would contend that the one which wins that midfield battle more often will have the slight edge over the course of an entire league campaign.

But this is one is extremely tight, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Theres nothing tight about it imo. Necromicon wins this one easy.

He has far too much strength all over the pitch. Giggs is far too good for Finnan over his whole career, Hinchcliffe was a terribly injury prone player and will have serious problems with Wiltord. When Kewell is fit you have to worry about his form. He has the same goal threat in midfield as you but he has it up front as well and you don't with McBride probably the worst player picked in the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Necromicon
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Theres nothing tight about it imo. Necromicon wins this one easy.

He has far too much strength all over the pitch. Giggs is far too good for Finnan over his whole career, Hinchcliffe was a terribly injury prone player and will have serious problems with Wiltord. When Kewell is fit you have to worry about his form. He has the same goal threat in midfield as you but he has it up front as well and you don't with McBride probably the worst player picked in the draft.

Giggs over Finnan? What has that got to do with anything - the vote is not to be based on a one off game between the two sides, so direct match ups between full backs and wingers is pointless really.

Advertisement